100 National HD channels for DISH in 2008

You guys above probably know more that me but wouldn't this be likely to be true given that OTA broadcasts will soon all be HD? I mean, wouldn't it be a tough sell for these satellite companies to push SD when the government is mandating HD for all the "free" channels. It would be a tough marketing situation for DISH or DirectTV. I would think in a little over a year that all channels would be HD.

HOW IS THIS STILL GOING AROUND?! No, there is NO requirement for all channels to be HD. They just have to be broadcast in digital. They can broadcast HD, SD, youtube quality video or Morse Code if they wanted. They just have to do it in digital. HD has nothing to do with this.

I wonder what 24 channels they are going to add, Since they have 76 now of the best top national channels around.:rolleyes: What are they going to do when Hockey and Basketball is over,besides lose 30 HD channels.

Dish now claims to already have 75 National HD channels and I count abouty 40.
Don't trust the websites. DIRECTV's web site claims "over 90" yet shows only 43 channels not including HD Extra. Both organizations are still listing Golf and Versus as separate channels. They may be different networks, but they're one channel.

Both are counting seasonal sports channels, largely unused Big 10 channels and the ever popular PPV channels.

The truth is somewhere in the middle but neither in the ad copy nor the fine print.

What that ad doesn't say is that 60 of the 100 channels will be PPV, but they will be offered nationally so they will be national HD channels. :D

Don't trust the websites. DIRECTV's web site claims "over 90" yet shows only 43 channels not including HD Extra. Both organizations are still listing Golf and Versus as separate channels. They may be different networks, but they're one channel.

Both are counting seasonal sports channels, largely unused Big 10 channels and the ever popular PPV channels.

The truth is somewhere in the middle but neither in the ad copy nor the fine print.
Well I have 84 Fulltime HD channels with D*, NOT including 4 HD locals,or 31 partime RSNs,34 HD channels from the Sports packs from NHL,NBA,or Hotpass,. D* website doesn't show you every channel they have unless you Download the guide,and even then it hasn't been updated since December. But D* Clearly more honest about their HD offering.

Anybody who signs up for E* based on this advertising campaign has a 100% winnable lawsuit if there are not 100 national HD channels available on 1/1/09.

You guys above probably know more that me but wouldn't this be likely to be true given that OTA broadcasts will soon all be HD? I mean, wouldn't it be a tough sell for these satellite companies to push SD when the government is mandating HD for all the "free" channels. It would be a tough marketing situation for DISH or DirectTV. I would think in a little over a year that all channels would be HD.

Dummy, and I am not calling you names, should do some research on the digital conversion topic.

View attachment 22308Attached is a flyer that was inserted in my saturday morning newspaper on Feb 23rd. Hope this isn't a repeat topic.

Added scan of the fine print. Pretty standard.

*If* Dish actually gets to 100 National HD channels this year does anyone think the $29.99 HD only package will still exist or be as low as $29.99?

I know I will downgrade to the HD only package and use OTA and basic cable for the few other channels I want and save $50 per month in the end.

HOW IS THIS STILL GOING AROUND?! No, there is NO requirement for all channels to be HD. They just have to be broadcast in digital. They can broadcast HD, SD, youtube quality video or Morse Code if they wanted. They just have to do it in digital. HD has nothing to do with this.
Geez dude, chill out... it's not that big a deal. Even though many of us know better, probably 90-95% of the viewers will think that digital=HD. They will see some picture improvement, because digital SD looks better than analog SD on most TV's. So, they'll assume they have HD.

And no amount of bitching about it here on these boards is going to educate them otherwise...

Which is one of the reasons Dish can get away with the over-compressed HD they spew out to us. Because it's "good enough".

It is funny when I was doing the chat with tech today it said. Welcome to Dish the leader in DVD and HD.

I replied leader in HD (that is funny), wonder if the tech has a sense of humor

Anybody who signs up for E* based on this advertising campaign has a 100% winnable lawsuit if there are not 100 national HD channels available on 1/1/09.

Any lawyers here that want a list of subscribers to start this class action lawsuit?

Anyone? Anyone? Buhler?, Buhler? < / humor >

I have zero use for 25 channels of NHL, 25 channels of NBA, 25 channels of NHL, and other miscellaneous PPV trash, give me 100 channels of quality HD content.

Last edited:
Any lawyers here that want a list of subscribers to start this class action lawsuit?

I have zero use for 25 channels of NHL, 25 channels of NBA, 25 channels of NHL, and other miscellaneous PPV trash, give me 100 channels of quality HD content.
Same thing for me. Add me to the list!

Tell that to the people that purchased a 921 DVR because Dish in their product advertisment and spec sheet said it would have it's "DishWire" port enabled to allow for content to be copied to D-VHS records. Dish changed their mind and never did enable the feature and people that purchased a 921 got nothing.

just think Dish would have 100 HD channels if they had MLB Extra Innings, we would see about 15 MLBHD channels in the guide and they would claim they'd have close to 100. What a joke.

just think Dish would have 100 HD channels if they had MLB Extra Innings, we would see about 15 MLBHD channels in the guide and they would claim they'd have close to 100. What a joke.
Your right! It is a big Joke! Their last quarter profits showed that. Can't wait to see the first quarter for this year!! What does E* really have going for them? I ask this question all the time, anyone care to answer? They sure as hell aren't any cheaper. And HD only pack,Com On your kidding right! $30 for what?

You would be hard-pressed to find even 25 channels of "quality HD content" regardless of what service you have. People are so fixated on the marketing illusion that they buy into the reality and defend it to the death. Marketers are smart people, huh?

I have two problems with your desire to participate:

1. You signed up years before the recent E* claim.

2. You're a D* subscriber who suffers from dozens of sports specialty channels.
Whats your point? Because I have D* as well ,I'm not entitled to a service I've been paying for from Dishnetwork?

99% of the whining around here would stop if Dish would just add 2 channels - SciFi HD and Speed HD. Surely they have room to add those 2 before launch?

Eh, well maybe 98%. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)