1000.4 dish dpp lnb eastern arc

nathan86

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
Brownstown, I
So I’m trying to build myself a mobile dish from an old 1000.4 I had in my yard and I thought I had the right lnb for it but when I got it neither of the brackets I had would fit the dpp lnb I have. I know there’s no way to mount a hybrid lnb on this but will this lnb work. It said it’s an lnb for a 1000.2 but I figured it would still work. I did manage to get it physically mounted using the old bracket that was on the dish originally but I had to trim a little bit of plastic they was keeping it from slipping in. Otherwise it lined up.

I then tried to align it and had everything f set right and I was able to hit 61.5 but I couldn’t seem to get it to hit 72 as well. Do I need a new lnb? Like I said this is a twin eastern arc dpp lnb I think originally for a 1000.2.

Here are the pictures from the eBay listing I bought this lnb from. Sorry if they’re a bit blurry. My plan originally was to put this on my 1000.2 and run it into a dph42 so I could run my hopper and Wally simultaneously but now my plan is to hopefully make this work on the 1000.4 and make the 1000.4 my home fish and use the 1000.2 as a mobile dish with the hybrid slim lnb that originally came with it. It works fine on the 1000.2 but I get the feeling I need a different bracket or a different lnb for the 1000.4. Like I said the bracket that was originally on this 1000.4 fit this lnb minus a small plastic tab. Otherwise all the screw holes lined up perfectly.

Attachments

• 8A26DEBC-5456-440D-9D18-07A4F430885C.jpeg
    8A26DEBC-5456-440D-9D18-07A4F430885C.jpeg
    10.5 KB · Views: 117
  • F223749D-8FC7-4B95-8293-940252845959.jpeg
    F223749D-8FC7-4B95-8293-940252845959.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: charlesrshell
Make sure your hitting the 61.5 with the correct lnb..When you stand behind the dish looking at the white plastic eyes of the LNB the left is 72 and the right is 61... In other words they do cross each other to the satellites..cover the left eye with aluminum foil and see if your still receiving the 61.5..I've hit the wrong sat several times with my portable dish on eastern arc

Interesting so in the sky it appears 61 is on the left and 72 is on the right when I look at it through the AR app but you’re saying it’s the right lnb that hits 61 and the left that hits 72? If that’s the case then that is definitely my issue. I guess I’ll have to try that again later today and see if I can hit 61.5 with the right lnb.

Interesting so in the sky it appears 61 is on the left and 72 is on the right when I look at it through the AR app but you’re saying it’s the right lnb that hits 61 and the left that hits 72?
Correct, assuming you are looking at the LNB feedhorns from behind the dish.

When aiming the dish, use the mount side plates to align the initial azimuth, not the LNB arm. Using the arm for aiming only works when the skew is very close to 90 degrees.

You might find the photo below showing how I configured my "no tools needed" 1000.4 dish for mobile use helpful in deciding which dish to use where. I prefer the more robust and easier to dial in 1000.4 over the 1000.2 for our fulltime RV use.

2018-01-26 13.34.47.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting so in the sky it appears 61 is on the left and 72 is on the right when I look at it through the AR app but you’re saying it’s the right lnb that hits 61 and the left that hits 72? If that’s the case then that is definitely my issue. I guess I’ll have to try that again later today and see if I can hit 61.5 with the right lnb.
The Reflector "Reflects" the signal, so yes, 61 to the right, 72 to the left. But, you're using an LNB that was designed for a smaller dish with a shorter feed arm, which is mostly likely why you're not getting the Sats pointed in.

You're going to have to mess around a lot with the angles here. That LNB is designed for the smaller 1000.2 dish, but it IS possible to get it to work on the 1000.4. You will likely have to set the skew much lower than usual, and fine tune adjust it. The original 1000.4 EA LNB has the 61.5 and 72.7 eyes directly next to each other, so the spot it reflects is different. Another option is to physically bend the dish if you can't get the skew to work.

You're going to have to mess around a lot with the angles here. That LNB is designed for the smaller 1000.2 dish, but it IS possible to get it to work on the 1000.4. You will likely have to set the skew much lower than usual, and fine tune adjust it. The original 1000.4 EA LNB has the 61.5 and 72.7 eyes directly next to each other, so the spot it reflects is different. Another option is to physically bend the dish if you can't get the skew to work.
The original 1000.4 EA LNB has three "eyes" with the 77 and 72.7 next to each other and then a gap to the 61.5. I have two of them I switch in and out with a WA triple LNB as needed. A 1000.2 DPP LNB will fit a 1000.4 dish by cutting the plastic tab off the arm adapter.

These are both 1000.4 EA LNB's:

2018-01-26 13.34.47.jpg

2014-06-15 15.26.15.jpg

The original 1000.4 EA LNB has three "eyes" with the 77 and 72.7 next to each other and then a gap to the 61.5. I have two of them I switch in and out with a WA triple LNB as needed. A 1000.2 DPP LNB will fit a 1000.4 dish by cutting the plastic tab off the arm adapter.

These are both 1000.4 EA LNB's:

View attachment 156198

View attachment 156199
Yes, we are stating the same thing I just believe I worded myself wrong. And yes, the LNB has no problem fitting the arm, it is just hard to adjust a 1000.2 LNB to get signal on both orbitals on a 1000.4 reflector, it requires weird adjustments.

Yes, we are stating the same thing I just believe I worded myself wrong. And yes, the LNB has no problem fitting the arm, it is just hard to adjust a 1000.2 LNB to get signal on both orbitals on a 1000.4 reflector, it requires weird adjustments.
My spare WA triple DPP LNB came from a 1000.2 installation that was upgraded to DPH. It works the same on my 1000.4 as the 1000.4 LNB. I'll give a 1000.2 EA twin LNB a try when I get my hands on one.

My spare WA triple DPP LNB came from a 1000.2 installation that was upgraded to DPH. It works the same on my 1000.4 as the 1000.4 LNB. I'll give a 1000.2 EA twin LNB a try when I get my hands on one.
1000.4 WA and 1000.2 WA DPP LNBs have the eyes in the exact same position, which is why this is able to work. The 1000.4 EA LNB has the 61.5 and 72.7 orbital eyes close together, and centered left, as opposed to the 1000.2 EA DPP with the eyes centered middle and seperated more. The 1000.4 dish wasn't made to pick up these orbitals in this middle position, as it was designed to pick both up on the left side.

1000.4 WA and 1000.2 WA DPP LNBs have the eyes in the exact same position, which is why this is able to work. The 1000.4 EA LNB has the 61.5 and 72.7 orbital eyes close together, and centered left, as opposed to the 1000.2 EA DPP with the eyes centered middle and seperated more. The 1000.4 dish wasn't made to pick up these orbitals in this middle position, as it was designed to pick both up on the left side.
The two eyes that are close together on the 1000.4 EA LNB are for the 77 and 72.7 sats. The 61.5 eye is spread out to the right as seen from the back of the dish.

Dish Eastern Arc LNB.JPG

The two eyes that are close together on the 1000.4 EA LNB are for the 77 and 72.7 sats. The 61.5 eye is spread out to the right as seen from the back of the dish.

View attachment 156201
Interesting, thought that was the other way around, thank you for showing me.

Either way, it is difficult to point them with the 1000.2 EA DPP LNB, it is simply not meant for the style of reflector. I actively work on Dish systems in the field, and have found some incorrect setups with a 1000.2 EA LNB on a 1000.4 reflector, usually done by techs who don't carry 1000.4 LNBs and don't want to replace the entire Dish. I have been able to point these, but you will have bad signal on either 61.5 or 72.7, it isn't possible (or, is not worth the effort) to point it to get good signal on both. Typically I have seen these setups getting strong signal on 61.5, and very poor signal on 72.7. If you do decide to do this, you will notice the weird angle to point it to get both orbitals, it is rather difficult. Not the hardest rigged up setup I've seen at all, but it is somewhat difficult.

Interesting, thought that was the other way around, thank you for showing me.

Either way, it is difficult to point them with the 1000.2 EA DPP LNB, it is simply not meant for the style of reflector. I actively work on Dish systems in the field, and have found some incorrect setups with a 1000.2 EA LNB on a 1000.4 reflector, usually done by techs who don't carry 1000.4 LNBs and don't want to replace the entire Dish. I have been able to point these, but you will have bad signal on either 61.5 or 72.7, it isn't possible (or, is not worth the effort) to point it to get good signal on both. Typically I have seen these setups getting strong signal on 61.5, and very poor signal on 72.7. If you do decide to do this, you will notice the weird angle to point it to get both orbitals, it is rather difficult. Not the hardest rigged up setup I've seen at all, but it is somewhat difficult.
As I said, I'll give it a try when I get my hands on one. I've aimed many 1000.2 and 1000.4 dishes, including aiming my own as often as daily, but just not a 1000.2 EA LNB on a 1000.4 dish. The WA LNBs are completely interchangeable except for the easily eliminated adapter tab.

As I said, I'll give it a try when I get my hands on one. I've aimed many 1000.2 and 1000.4 dishes, including aiming my own as often as daily, but just not a 1000.2 EA LNB on a 1000.4 dish. The WA LNBs are completely interchangeable except for the easily eliminated adapter tab.
I ended up finding another brand new 1000.2 on the cheap so I think I'll just ditch my 1000.4 so I can use the lnb I already have. I'll probably also go ahead and buy myself a WA hybrid lnb for it as well so I can hit either arc while I'm on the road. Thanks for the help everyone.

It's not the 61 and 72 that are close together, it's the 72 and the 77. The 61 is the one off by itself. A dish is a reflection of the sky so the "eyes" on the LNB are backward if viewed from behind the dish.

Also the ,2 and ,4 WA "eyes" are not in the same place. They're in the same position but spread further apart on the .4 due to the bigger reflector and the longer feed arm

And just a word, you're new here on a forum that's populated by long-time Satellite and Dish enthusiasts, power users if you will and installers that have been in the game for a long, long time.

I ended up finding another brand new 1000.2 on the cheap so I think I'll just ditch my 1000.4 so I can use the lnb I already have. I'll probably also go ahead and buy myself a WA hybrid lnb for it as well so I can hit either arc while I'm on the road. Thanks for the help everyone.
That's more convenient and versatile, to go with a 1000.2 but man, I miss .4's and that fine adjustment that could really peak out the dish

It's not the 61 and 72 that are close together, it's the 72 and the 77. The 61 is the one off by itself. A dish is a reflection of the sky so the "eyes" on the LNB are backward if viewed from behind the dish.

Also the ,2 and ,4 WA "eyes" are not in the same place. They're in the same position but spread further apart on the .4 due to the bigger reflector and the longer feed arm

And just a word, you're new here on a forum that's populated by long-time Satellite and Dish enthusiasts, power users if you will and installers that have been in the game for a long, long time.
This would definitely explain why I seemed to be able to hit one or the other but never both. I managed to get an ok signal on 72 (like 51) last time I tried but could only get like 18 on the 61 with this setup.

BTW I liked the 1000.4 better as well. It seems a lot less flimsy than the 1000.2.

Reactions: HipKat and TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)