10ft Birdview Dish Revival

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I really hate the eyesore in my mailbox. The one that says pay me money for two hundred stations, 95 percent of which are useless.

You know, if you just look around, there is a big dish at about one out of two hundred and fifty houses. A small percentage of those actually work, but yet they sit there.

I don't know that it's so much of an eyesore. I think it's just not easy enough for most folks.

i think most people just didnt like the fact if they wanted to change channels they had the lag time to wait for the dish to move.. they want everything right then and now.

i think most people just didnt like the fact if they wanted to change channels they had the lag time to wait for the dish to move.. they want everything right then and now.

That's one thing, but people who installed the BUD's just got older, retired or when out of business and thus fewer people to work on them so either the owner had to fix the problems and most owner probably couldn't so they elected to switch to something they wouldn't have to fix. Just look at the age of the dishes and then checkout the owners age.

That's one thing, but people who installed the BUD's just got older, retired or when out of business and thus fewer people to work on them so either the owner had to fix the problems and most owner probably couldn't so they elected to switch to something they wouldn't have to fix. Just look at the age of the dishes and then checkout the owners age.

this dish was isntalled in 1984 .. i was 3 yrs old at the time :)

well i thew a DMX 741 up there... and borrowed a fta reciver from someone on here (he knowws who he is) ;) so far getting level of 89% to 90% whever i point the dish just i get a quality of 0% so far.. :(

Here is how i modifyed the lnb plate and mounted it to the Dish..

lnbf.JPG

I'll be curious to see how putting the "new" scalar plate on the system vs. keeping the old fins/plate does with signal! I've usually used the supplied plate on the top for mounting, and kept the inside original! Please let us know how it works for you on various satellites once its aligned!

I'll be curious to see how putting the "new" scalar plate on the system vs. keeping the old fins/plate does with signal! I've usually used the supplied plate on the top for mounting, and kept the inside original! Please let us know how it works for you on various satellites once its aligned!

well before i lost the single (might be the coax im going to look into that later today after work) i was getting a Level of 94% and a Single Q of 97% with 99W on 4000mhz(Tp15?)

Maybe the bees and wasps found you already!!!! Is the end capped? It doesn't take long! (chuckle as the cap fell out of the end of mine letting 'em in....I ran electrical tape around the cap so it fit tighter and all was fine.)

Maybe the bees and wasps found you already!!!! Is the end capped? It doesn't take long! (chuckle as the cap fell out of the end of mine letting 'em in....I ran electrical tape around the cap so it fit tighter and all was fine.)
lol i wish it was that simple.. but no its still the orignal cable from 1984 im going to Recrimp the ends with Compresion ends or just run a whole new coax cable to it.. going to take a mini tv out there with a small coax cable and extension cord first tho to check :)

well before i lost the single (might be the coax im going to look into that later today after work) i was getting a Level of 94% and a Single Q of 97% with 99W on 4000mhz(Tp15?)

If reworking your connectors doesn't help you might consider taking your G-Box, receiver and a small TV out to the dish, hooking them up through some short cables and wires that you know are good, and seeing what happens.

With that setup you can also try and peak your dish to the arc. Your dish may have been close enough to track the old C-band analog, but to track and lock C-band digital (particularly S2 and the weaker signals) requires more precision.

Edit: Yeh, what you said. ;)

The cable may be fine with (new) ends! It was very heavy, direct-bury cable and very weather resistant! Are you using adapters from the original (Birdview) BNC style connectors to the "F" of today?" Getting rid of those helps, too at both ends...Hope you can keep the dual feedline, it gives you options in hookup style!

The cable may be fine with (new) ends! It was very heavy, direct-bury cable and very weather resistant! Are you using adapters from the original (Birdview) BNC style connectors to the "F" of today?" Getting rid of those helps, too at both ends...Hope you can keep the dual feedline, it gives you options in hookup style!

its still the Orignal BNC connectors with an F type adapter on it im going to cut the BNC off and recrimp with compresion

EDIT: could be the grounding in the wire between the Lnb and the coax :p

Last edited:
Even adapters suck signal when properly working...and if they're loose, they cause issues. You're on track! Keep us posted!

Something Weird I don’t know what it is... but the Reciver im using I know the dish is pointed to 99W the Diseqw Sw was all set to off at 4000mhz I get notting but if I turn the sw to 1 on etiter 1.0 or 1.1 the 4000mhz started coming in (and all the other TPs) with a Quailty of 100% and a level of 92% any ideas? 22Khz lnb didn’t seem to have an effect.. using a DMX741 lnbf

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts