120cm dish with C-Band performance - Now with HD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sadoun said:
Cascade

Sadoun will be introducing a new "Prime Focus" C/KU band COMBO LNB. It is an integrated feedhorn, voltage controlled 13/18V C/KU band LNBF. We will be testing the LNBF soon before releasing it to the market. The LNBF will have two F outputs (one for KU and one for C-band). So you will have to use a 2-way DiSEqC switch.

I just thought to let the Satelliteguys members know in advance. :)

Which would be better a 22 khz switch or rhe Diseqc switch ?

Thanks ,
Wyr

Cascade said:
HD on C-Band, stunning pic quality with only 21% signal and 79% quality.

What kind of receiver ? Or is it a PCI DVB card ? If so , which one ?

Thanks ,
Wyr

Cascade said:
G3 still eludes me, I've had enough for today, the weather's getting hot, the mosquitoes are devouring me and I have some nice free HD to watch for now.
Back to the grindstone tomorrow.

For the mosquitoes , stick a cling free dryer sheet in your shirt pocket , seems to repell them .

Wyr

Cascade said:
A quick FYI:

My SG2100 packed up on me this evening while scanning for T5 on C-Band, all the movement on this C-Band project finally took its toll and it's stuck at 0.
I'm not blaming the positioner, it's served me well, I just don't think motors are designed for this type of abuse especially over the last month or two with all the movement and weight of the 120cm dish.

For now my participation is on hold unless I decide to mount the dish in a fixed position or find another positioner.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=74660

My guess is the Stab HH120 is a stronger motor ?

How much does your dish weigh ?

We can probably look up the specs on the HH120 .

Wyr

rayydio said:
I installed my Patriot 1.2 meter dish today. It went together without much "blue" language and I did it myself without help. It is pointed at Anik F1 right now and am receiving all available channels with 70-79% quality! Channels that were not available with the P* are now booming in with the monster dish. Currently using it with the ASC421 as the offset LNB wont arrive until Wednesday. Will be ordering an HH120 as I really need to motorize this baby.

So , these numbers are with the Ku LNBF in the picture ?

Wyr

rangers00 said:
OK, this is experiment today.

Still can't find the right combination to fix the LNBF on the dish arm, so I am doing all these by hand.

Turn the LNBF clockwise 90 degrees, 4 more analog channels show up. Turned out to be

- 4000H
- 4020V

and two others that I don't remember. But there is no 4000H or 4020V on IA5. Then it hits me suddenly, it must be interference from the adjacent birds. Turned out the 4000H is World Harvest TV, and 4020V is "The Shephard's Chapel Network", both on G4R (99W). The other two channels are feeds that are in the 4010s range.

And the quality on the analog channels are pretty good after I fine-tune them. But there are two problems that bug me:

- in order to get good qualities, the same LNBF positioning simply can't get both IA5 and G4R, the LNBF position on 1 bird is a 90 degree turn from the LNBF position on the other bird. This certainly would be a big problem even if I use a motor to move the dish.

- the polarity on IA5 is all screwed up. A transponder that's vertical (according to Lyngsat) must be horizontal on my receiver in order to see the picture. I don't know what cause this, but after I turn the LNBF 90 degrees, the polarities on G4R (according to the lyngsat chart) match what I set up on the receiver.

Now the MPEG2/DVB part. Boy it's really a pain in the S. I tried for a long long time, the only MPEG2 channel I could get was one BYU channel on IA5 (I think it's 3935V). This transponder must be particularly strong, as I get as high as 86% in quality.

All the other MPEG2/DVB transponders, including the other three BYU channels, no luck.

Can you make up a fake sat with the mixed up polarities you described , to fool the receiver ?

Wyr

What is wrong with this?

I've been trying for several days to get this C-Band LNBF to pick up on something. It's the DMS ASC-421 LNBF. And it's a 1 meter primestar dish.

I can't get it to lock onto anything. Seems to constantly run at 65-70% signal strength but zero quality.

Any pointers on how I should have this LNBF mounted on here?

Attachments

• Sat001.jpg
    Sat001.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 211
  • Sat002.jpg
    Sat002.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 243
Looks like the LNB will have to go closer to the dish, scalar ring and polarity look OK for true south. The elevation to the satellite will be way off so do not go by the elevation marking on the dish!

As usual forget the signal strength its all about the quality!
I would aim for Anik F1 first at 107w nice and strong!

Ok, when you say elevation will be way off, is that, the dish has to be higher or lower than what a sat tracker would tell me?

Yes, when I tried the above the elevation was way off. Worked great with a 40" oval so you should do well with the 1m.

DapOrp said:
I've been trying for several days to get this C-Band LNBF to pick up on something. It's the DMS ASC-421 LNBF. And it's a 1 meter primestar dish.

I can't get it to lock onto anything. Seems to constantly run at 65-70% signal strength but zero quality.

Is the polatiy indicator set correctly for the sat you are trying to hit ( skew ) ? What is your due south sat , that is usually the easiest , skew will be close to zero ( indicator straight up ) .

Elevation will be higher , I think .......

What kind of receiver are you hooked up to ?

Do you have a sat meter or are you using the receiver as a sat meter ?

Try tweeking the dish while watching the signal strength .

You using a motor ?

I am testing C band w/ 90 cm offser dish . Monday nite I was getting very good ( almost no sparkles ) on one channel & good ( few sparkles ) on two channels on Galaxy 4 ( I think ) . This is analog .

On DVB-S , I got my first quality indication but did not get any futher before I shot myself in the foot . :-(

Then I got the motor messed up and stuck at the extream east . Will try some more , as time permits .

Wyr

Use a signal meter to get the highest reading on it. A SF-95 works good and they are cheap on E-bay.

Good luck.

DapOrp said:

DapOrp said:

Will try to post pictures of my setup , when I get home . Think the scalar ring needs to be at roughly the same distance from the surface of the dish , as was origionally intended for the Ku LNBF ?

Wyr

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pics , 90 cm dish , Chaparel scalar ring , feed horn , polarotor & DMS Inrernational 15 degree LNB .

Picking up some DVB-S signal quality on Galaxy 4 , but getting pictilization . Need to do some more dish tweeking .

Wyr

Attachments

• Mini-BUD 005.jpg
    Mini-BUD 005.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Mini-BUD 004.jpg
    Mini-BUD 004.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 215
  • Mini-BUD 003.jpg
    Mini-BUD 003.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 215
I so want to get this project going but its getting TOO DAMN COLD OUT

zero windchill right now :(
(-20 for you Canucks...I think thats what it is when I do the conversion) :)

Question About the face of the dish.
It looks LIke It had a nice fresh coat of paint. If that is the case what will be the recommended type of paint. Brand name if possible too. My primestar dish looks like it was issue to a GI in WWII.

I used flat black paint, any paint will work as long as its non metallic!

Iceberg said:
I so want to get this project going but its getting TOO DAMN COLD OUT

zero windchill right now :(
(-20 for you Canucks...I think thats what it is when I do the conversion) :)

Oh, we ( Canucks ) get it!

Does anyone know of a decent retailer in Canada that sells Fortec ( or any other brand ) 120cm dishes? I'd like to get a dish soon before winter sets in... brrr...

Fortec HQ is in Canada. Go figure!

Cold Winter said:
Oh, we ( Canucks ) get it!

Does anyone know of a decent retailer in Canada that sells Fortec ( or any other brand ) 120cm dishes? I'd like to get a dish soon before winter sets in... brrr...

Fortec HQ is in Canada. Go figure!

Where abouts are you, in Toronto?

How about using those dual reflector dishes? I saw some pictures of those posted before where there are multiple lnbf's on it. I know someone down the road that had one of these installed earlier this year. Wouldn't the second reflector help the signal and/or allow for a smaller dish and also allow more orbital slots to be picked up without dish rotation? I see where this worked good on the digital FTA but what about the C-Band FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)