120cm dish with C-Band performance - Now with HD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The throat looks like it's 80mm, mine's held on by the scalar ring with 3 brackets.
I'm breaking out the Dremel hopefully tomorrow so I can make a bracket to increase focal distance.

Cascade said:
The throat looks like it's 80mm, mine's held on by the scalar ring with 3 brackets.
I'm breaking out the Dremel hopefully tomorrow so I can make a bracket to increase focal distance.

Hopefully you will make it out of something stronger than polystyrene this time : )

Best project we have had going for a......... l o n g ..............time. :yes

Still wondering about having both a Universal Ku and a C-band lnb on a single 120cm... really tough concept. I'd want the C-band lnb to be as spot-on as possible, seeing as it needs all the help it can get; then again, Ku is much less forgiving of misalignment. I'd hate to have to choose one or the other... as you've noticed, Cascade ;) it's hard to stick with just one.

The C/Ku lnb sounds like an excellent choice for this setup, but no ETA on those I guess.

PSB said:
Best project we have had going for a......... l o n g ..............time. :yes

Totally agree :D Can't wait for my attempt!

Ooh, here's a thought:

The 120cm (1.2m/4') dish pulls in C-band pretty good. Getting ahold of one isn't feasable for everyone. Cleaning up my shed, I spotted the old DirecPC reflector- 42" wide, as I recall, only 6" less than the width of the mircoBUD. Anyone have one and care to try? I'll likely get my C-band LNB before the Fortec dish, so I might give this a try.

I am just waiting for my ASC-421 C-band LNBF to show up and I will be trying that..... I have 2-3 split new DirecPC dish and a 40" P* Looking forward to it : )

PSB said:
I am just waiting for my ASC-421 C-band LNBF to show up and I will be trying that..... I have 2-3 split new DirecPC dish and a 40" P* Looking forward to it : )

Perhaps even turning the DPC dishes 90 degrees would help- almost the full height, but less width, so perhaps similar signal reception with better satellite rejection, less overlap..? :yes

I will try that........ Let you know the results!

Funny you should say that, these DirecPC dish can be skewed 360 deg.

I can lock on IA-6 for example then rotate the dish/skew 360 deg. and still be on the satellite!

Still working on a mount!

Sounds like that would be ideal.
The idea came to me when Cascade mentioned the DPC dishes would probably not be great as what matters most is the vertical height; the larger width would just gather more overlap. So... would the 90 degree twist create a less-overlap similar-signal version of a 120cm? Can't wait to see your results ;)

CharredPC said:
what matters most is the vertical height; the larger width would just gather more overlap. So... would the 90 degree twist create a less-overlap similar-signal version of a 120cm? Can't wait to see your results ;)
oh man...my head is spinning, I never thought of that. it all makes sense now.

Wheee, two projects in one! ;)
Somone add a third into the mix and fabricate a dual mount for both C and Ku lnb's :D

PSB said:
I can lock on IA-6 for example then rotate the dish/skew 360 deg. and still be on the satellite!

Hmmm.... doesn't a 360 degree rotation but you back to where you started?

The mini BUD subject sounds great, Ive seen several of the 120cm dishes laying around my area, disused, discarded. May be some of you folks could place some adds in your area, or check scrap yards. I've also noticed several BUDs laying around like flying saucers, could pick them up for nothin, but interested in the C band lnbf for my existing dish and motor. Great info guys !!

To shorten the distance for some of you, we have made available 2x New Fortec Star 120CM availble for local pick up at Barlett, IL (Chicago Area). If interested, let me know?

The pickup price is $210 each. No shipping will be added. :)

Sadoun said:
To shorten the distance for some of you, we have made available 2x New Fortec Star 120CM availble for local pick up at Barlett, IL (Chicago Area). If interested, let me know?

The pickup price is $210 each. No shipping will be added. :)
VERY nice deal if someone can take advantage of it.

Shawn

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts