129 location

mromanik

Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
I have lost 61.5 due to neighbors trees.Rather than defoliate the neighborhood, I am going to try 129. I checked the various sites and get a true north AZ of 205 degrees and EL 39-40 degrees for zip code 84121. I believe I have to make a correction by subtracting 13-14 degrees. Is this correct?

Your current magnetic declination, (12-1/2 degrees) can be calculated here.

The calculator I used gives the following:

Azimuth = 205.4 (from true North)
Elevation = 39.81

Note that the calculator didn't do very well with the magnetic North number. As this number changes constantly (magnetic North is moving West), I don't think they can practically take this into account. The declination in SLC is decreasing by .7 minutes per year.

The part that is the most important is the elevation setting; set it very carefully.

Your current magnetic declination, (12-1/2 degrees) can be calculated here.

The calculator I used gives the following:

Azimuth = 205.4 (from true North)
Elevation = 39.81

Note that the calculator didn't do very well with the magnetic North number. As this number changes constantly (magnetic North is moving West), I don't think they can practically take this into account. The declination in SLC is decreasing by .7 minutes per year.

The part that is the most important is the elevation setting; set it very carefully.

Thanks harshness.I looked at several sites and got different magnetic declinations from each of them.

I looked at several sites and got different magnetic declinations from each of them.
The important thing to remember is that the azimuth from true North should always be the same.

If you have access to a real GPS (as opposed to a "GPS enabled" wireless phone), you can get more precise latitude and longitude numbers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts