12ft Paraclipse to be removed from local business roof

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

brex2001

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
USA
Is there anyone on this forum who has a resource for short term liabilty insurance?

I've tried local resources & none of them would even write a policy unless I were a contractor & then for a year term minimum.

The owner of the property & I have talked for 9 months about removing the 12ft Paraclipse from the roof of the building adjacent to his business. It's time for this project to pop!:rolleyes:
I'm guessing that someone spooked him with tales of insurance lawsuit claims or some such horror tale. He reassures me that I will get the dish & would oversee the removal - just when has been uncertain. If I were to produce a short term insurance policy for him to see he would allow me access to the roof to remove the dish. My assurance that I had experience with this as a maintenance mechanic didn't seem to carry enough weight.
The business was a sports bar once upon a time, now a dance studio with a leaking roof. Hence he needs the roof redone & before that can happen the dish has to come down. The pole for the dish is bolted to the roof - a penetrating mount.
I spoke with the owner again & informed him that I would provide an angle grinder, cut-off wheels, ropes & extra manpower to help remove & lower the dish. He liked that idea.

After posting this I recalled others advising to get a crane service for this kind of problem dish rescue. They have to be insured.
I did some yellow pages searching - useless because the yellow page proofreaders don't know to relate cranes with equipment removal. I was given some other numbers to call & found one crane service within less than 5 miles from the business. He said he'd do the pick & set it in the back of my truck for $200 cash. He also said that he had done satellite dish setting & removal in the past.
The right guy for the job.:)

If ya gotta have a 12'er, that may be a solution.
But if it doesn't come with the H-H motorized mount, I wouldn't put the $200 into it.
Since Stogie5150 has a 12' Paraclipse, and he gave you a 'like', I'll assume he would.
I remember reading his install thread, and was glad that I'd missed out on the one about 50 miles from my house, a few years earlier. ;)

In the past year I've asked maybe a dozen owners about their seemingly unused dishes. Among them were a 7.5ft Winegard(the guy wants $500:eek:), 10ft Perfect 10s(not for sale), a 12ft SAMI(the guy wants $1000:eek:), and others. This 12ft Paraclipse has been the only constant - its still mine for the taking. Its the same one as in this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/240180-12-ft-paraclipse-manual.html
I'm moving to Oregon & want some sturdy C-band dishes to take with me. Like its said - a bird in the hand........... :)

Last edited:
Yea, if ya gotta have one, go for it.
But, you're going to take it down, pack it up, and m.o.v.e. it, too??? - :eek:

I just hope when you get there, you don't find free-range-BUDs all around! - :up - ;)

I would Prolly think hard over 200 for a 12 four paraclipse, but I would Prolly do it at 200. Just my budget speaking tho.....

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

From reading here and not from personal experience, Paraclipse is probably the top mesh dish. If it has the hh motor, you could spend ten years finding another one that is available.

Two hundred? Sure, sounds high, but according to their owners, they get signal, I figure I have spent a couple thousand on this hobby since I started in 06.

...and you #$%^&'d well bring us plenty of fine pictures of the big lift, too! :)
then more later at home, once you get it torn down for transport to another state.

...and you #$%^&'d well bring us plenty of fine pictures of the big lift, too! :)
then more later at home, once you get it torn down for transport to another state.
I'll take pics while the lift-off & set are taking place if there are enough free hands to help that day. Or enlist a mechanic on the premises to shoot for me.
I had thought to crate the mesh panels & smaller brackets, bag the hardware that can be saved & put those in there too. Tie groups of 2 or 4 frames together with bailing wire for transport & ease of handling.
I'll take some pics of this too. The take down was scheduled for Wednesday @ 9 am but now there's prediction of rain & thunderstorms this week.:(
Just when I finally get the go ahead!

This story reminds me of my neighbor across the subdivision (1/4 mile away) who has a 8ft mesh dish sitting and not being used. When I asked about it, he said it wasn't for sale. He hasn't used it for years... One man's teasure is another man's Goldmine...LOL

We are just above Biggs Jct. I 84 and Hwy 97, on the WA side.
My sister is in Seattle.
Aunts, uncles & cousins in Bend, Eugene, Portland & Bandon, OR.
I've always liked the PNW. Now that all the affairs of my late parents are in order, I can move.

This story reminds me of my neighbor across the subdivision (1/4 mile away) who has a 8ft mesh dish sitting and not being used. When I asked about it, he said it wasn't for sale. He hasn't used it for years... One man's teasure is another man's Goldmine...LOL
Yeah, there's a 10ft Perfect 10 in the backyard of an unoccupied house not 3 miles from me. I finally met the owner face to face one day when he was cleaning up the debris of an errant driver that had jumped the curb & wiped out a fence.
He simply said he was not interested in parting with it at this time. It's been sitting parked on G1 for as long as I can remember.

picked the dish today

I didn't get any pics of the actual lift this morning. The crane operator insisted he had to get down to Cerritos by 10 am so I was forced to hurry & neglect the pics.

It went smoothly he providing two 14ft slings to lift the dish. I spread the load between two frames 4 apart from each other. Loosened the polar mount bolts on the pole, removed one elevation turnbuckle bolt allowing the dish to tilt down then twisted the mount back & forth while the crane lifted.
We set the dish on its back in the bed of my 65 Chevy fleetside, then picked the penetrating pole. From start at 8:30 am to finish at 9:30 am one hour. Tie the dish down & re flagged the overhanging edges. Drove home with emergency lights on( only 5 miles).

Attachments

• 12ft Paraclipse removal 010.JPG
    12ft Paraclipse removal 010.JPG
    644.1 KB · Views: 354
  • 12ft Paraclipse removal 008.JPG
    12ft Paraclipse removal 008.JPG
    521.7 KB · Views: 331
  • 12ft Paraclipse removal 011.JPG
    12ft Paraclipse removal 011.JPG
    388.3 KB · Views: 347
  • 12ft Paraclipse removal 001.JPG
    12ft Paraclipse removal 001.JPG
    509.7 KB · Views: 313
  • 12ft Paraclipse removal 007.JPG
    12ft Paraclipse removal 007.JPG
    525.6 KB · Views: 312
Got home by 10 am & began breaking the dish down. Removed 4 panels from opposite sides.
This dish has all the stainless j clips but the hardware is only ordinary(and very rusty) steel.

Tried removing the u-bolt holding the buttonhook in place but the tube simply would not slide out so I unbolted the reflector side center plate buttonhook & all. Unbolted half the rear plate bolts so it would come apart in halves. Then removed the braces between the frames of the halves & let it flop to the bed of the truck(4 inches). Lifted each half out over the lowered tailgate & into the backyard for further dis-assembly later.

By then it was 2 pm & 109*F in the shade. But I hadn't any shade to work under - heat exhaustion had definitely set in.

EDIT: While breaking down the dish, some guy in a pickup loaded with scrap metal came to a screeching stop then backed up. He asked what I was going to do with the dish - I really had to restrain my tongue but told him I was going to put it in my back yard.
The metal scrappers around here will steal anything not locked behind gates. I knew I couldn't leave it unattended at this point. Arrgh!

Attachments

• 12ft Paraclipse removal 027.JPG
    12ft Paraclipse removal 027.JPG
    591.6 KB · Views: 300
  • 12ft Paraclipse removal 023.JPG
    12ft Paraclipse removal 023.JPG
    628.3 KB · Views: 298
  • 12ft Paraclipse removal 015.JPG
    12ft Paraclipse removal 015.JPG
    395.7 KB · Views: 320
  • 12ft Paraclipse removal 024.JPG
    12ft Paraclipse removal 024.JPG
    570.1 KB · Views: 273
  • 12ft Paraclipse removal 028.JPG
    12ft Paraclipse removal 028.JPG
    719.2 KB · Views: 327
  • 12ft Paraclipse removal 033.JPG
    12ft Paraclipse removal 033.JPG
    821.9 KB · Views: 331
  • 12ft Paraclipse removal 030.JPG
    12ft Paraclipse removal 030.JPG
    667.5 KB · Views: 318
  • 12ft Paraclipse removal 014.JPG
    12ft Paraclipse removal 014.JPG
    645.7 KB · Views: 297
  • 12ft Paraclipse removal 016.JPG
    12ft Paraclipse removal 016.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
I cannot make up my mind if I would rather have 12 footer

or the 8 footer hauling it!!! :cool:

On your back window is that kid taking a wizz on a

Dishnetwork or DirecTV satellite dish??? :D

Great job and keep those photos coming!!!... :up

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts