148?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Is 148 degrees West Satellite really dead? Used to be interesting feeds on it a couple of years ago.

satellite blew up a while ago

There were 2 sats at 148...Echo 1 & 2. They split the load with one carrying odds only and the other evens

Echo 1 went to 77W to "warm" the spot so Echo 2 was left. Echo 2 blew up so right now there is no satellite at 148. All the locals on 148 were moved to 129 or 110 and the Int'l they got folks to switch to a D500+ that got 118.7

I remember 148W with fondness :)... Of course, we can talk about it now, but back then it was hush-hush! I set up a pizza dish on a friend's house just for that satellite, and it was aimed so low that his neighbors thought it was pointed at their house and he was spying on them :rolleyes: ...

Mastermesh, since you haven't been on here in awhile, did you know that Dish has now basically scrambled everything, even NASA? Fortunately, I now have a 6 foot C-Band dish, and get NASA from the source (in much higher quality and with HD I might add :) )...

yeah that was great when Dish would test the "how good can the picture look when we cram 14 channels on a TP?" theory...

Lots of fun with those test channels they had there...sadly Charlie scrambled all of them :(

yep.

IIRC they tried to cram like 25 channels in MPEG4 including HD channels on a transponder too...yeesh!

yep.

IIRC they tried to cram like 25 channels in MPEG4 including HD channels on a transponder too...yeesh!

Even so, I was glad to have the extra programs to watch while it was ITC

maybe someday we will be able to use our pizza dishes again
sad.gif

Yes, I've been reading about how everything is scrambled now. I really miss those 6 in 1 channel.

yep.

And then they brag about having "100% digital quality". Digital crap they mean. Doesn't matter how good/clear the link is if you compress it to CGA video with a lossy compression system like mpeg before sending it.

Well, in all fairness to Dish, those channels on 148W were test channels, they were not for public consumption ;) ... However, I must agree that a good percentage of channels that ARE up there for their subscribers, particularly the non-premium ones, look like web video. Their uplink of NASA can't touch the quality of the source. Its evident in the hard drive space that recordings from both take up.

Well, in all fairness to Dish, those channels on 148W were test channels,
The question is - now that they are not doing "tests" there, where are they doing them, if they are doing them at all? ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)