16 vdc, yet no signal!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dumbjim

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
st. louis mo.
I recently fire up my DSR 922 and am having no luck getting a signal. I get voltage at the lnb yet ziltch on the signal strength. I replaced the lnb with a new Precision 17k, and tried my old Drake 1824 reciever and still nothing. Does a cable that carries voltage to the lnb absolutely mean that it's good? I do have several splices in the cable run.
thanks for reading my post

Last edited:
I'd check the cable. When I had my old analog receiver connected to the dish, the old cable had 2 splices...the LNB had voltage when I tested it, but no signal passed through. Dug it up, found a corroded connector, cleaned up & replace and BAM! ...booming signal. So I do beleive you can have a "good enough" splice to pass voltage but the signal gets attentuated to the point of not making it.

Similar experience. Decided to see if the buried ribbon-cable-in-conduit (for C-band) would still work after finding the old Dishnet run was slashed.
One of the connector was still attached but corroded.
The other end was clipped and needed a new connector. Put one on and attached to the DiSEqC switch.

Hooked it up with the old end and got 55% signal- which was what I was getting with the Dishnet line- and 10% Q on most TP.
Some of the strong C-band transponders came in at 40% Quality (Geosatpro) but no Lock.

So I swapped the corroded one out and got 65% Signal and a general loss of 5%Q across all transponders. Not enough for me to worry about with everything coming in above 55%Q

16V seems low to me but I'm no expert.... :eek: :rolleyes:

I recently fire up my DSR 922 and am having no luck getting a signal. I get voltage at the lnb yet ziltch on the signal strength. I replaced the lnb with a new Precision 17k, and tried my old Drake 1824 reciever and still nothing. Does a cable that carries voltage to the lnb absolutely mean that it's good? I do have several splices in the cable run.
thanks for reading my post
BINGO!!! it was a bad splice.
thanks

I had water wick down the cable inside the between the shield and foam dielectric. it didn't kill the signal all together but knocked it down a few percent.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts