$17 charge question

Ever since I signed up for my HD DVR, I am now charged $17 a month for my regular DVR. Is there any way to eliminate this charge? It seems absurd to be charged that much for a second DVR.
The $17 charge won't last forever. It will higher sooooooooooooooooon!!! :D

I have had a 612 for just around a year now and have to say its been a good receiver.During that time we have had to have 2 622's replaced last time with a 722.Just like anything there are good and bad but at this point I have to recommend the 612 over a 622.

As for the $17 per month extra dual tuner fee...I would have figured Dish would have made a enough off of it to cover the $500 million settlement with tivo by now.:rolleyes:

Currently have 722 and 625 and pay that $17 fee yet both receivers only go to one TV each. Will DISH fish cable through the attic to get to the other TV? Will they cut drywall and patch it? I assume they will try and use my existing cabling in my house and connect a signal combiner. Well, either way, I don't see how it will be an easy job. How much will the installer get? Do I get two hours worth of work to get these receivers on my other TV's? I have the $6 monthly plan so they will come out for only $15 to set this up once I call and schedule.

Currently have 722 and 625 and pay that $17 fee yet both receivers only go to one TV each. Will DISH fish cable through the attic to get to the other TV? Will they cut drywall and patch it? I assume they will try and use my existing cabling in my house and connect a signal combiner. Well, either way, I don't see how it will be an easy job. How much will the installer get? Do I get two hours worth of work to get these receivers on my other TV's? I have the $6 monthly plan so they will come out for only $15 to set this up once I call and schedule.

ROFL, they will do whatever you want, but it will cot you, as will any provider.
you tell the installer what you want, he gives you a cost for anything non-standard.

The service plan does not cover wiring your extra TVs. Basic install would inlcude using your existing cable. If you needed that done it should have been done at the time of the initial install.

As for the monthly price of the the second receiver, it is what it is. I agree it's a little steep. It bothers me that they say there is only one DVR febut charge an extra $3 for having a sencond DVR receiver. I do like the the fact that Dish no longer arges for side 2 of the primary receiver. For people with only 2 TVs Dish has the best deal ever.

:deadhorse: il pound it some more

My fees with dish prior to the pigish cash grab was $7 for second 722 and $7 612 and no dvr fee due to the AEP.

Then went to $6 DVR fee to cover all dvr's 1-6 no extra fee but the dvr box is now $17 not $7 or even $14 like the new fee for dual box with no dvr.
Just like the almost 1milion customers that jumped ship i did also last year.

?Dish Network Cable Pig Commercial?‏ - YouTube

empiretc said:
Wow, that is up there. Current setup is 722, 211k, and 301 on America's Top 250. Total before taxes is $89.99. $14 in receiver fees (own all three) and $6 DVR fee.

Sounds right. Owning makes no difference on fees just no commitment.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

I agree that $17 is too much for a 2nd receiver, but obviously Dish is not going to go back to the $5-6 rate like they had before so I'll take a more reasonable approach as to what Dish should be charging for extra receivers:
Solo: $5
Duo: $7
Solo DVR: $8
Duo/Slingloaded DVR: $10
Yes the DVRs would still be more than Directv's $6 rate but again, at least the rates are more reasonable.

Yes the DVRs would still be more than Directv's $6 rate but again, at least the rates are more reasonable.

We have a winner. You can't make an honest comparison between Dish and Direct by only looking at the DVR fees. Complete apple and oranges. They each have their own fee and programming structures. They are neck and neck with each other, and depending on configuration, Dish is often less.

When you buy from Ebay, do you just look at the shipping and handling? (fees) If you do you are a terrible shopper. You look at the cost of the item and the shipping and handling fees. If an item costs $5 from one and $6.50 from another, and the $6.50 only has a $1.00 shipping fee, is that better than the $5.00 item with a $2.00 shipping fee?
I agree on the face of it $17 seems like too much. But taken as a whole, Dish is very competitive in overall pricing and what is in the package.

More like a Dish receiver is worth $6 and a DIRECTV "receiver", and I use that term loosely since it has trouble with basic functions - is worth nothing.

I think that DISH really showed it's greediest side when they hiked the additional receiver fees on their best dvr receivers to $17.00 for each one after the first. You might save money on the programming pack , but if you have more than one receiver on your account , they get it all back in the additional receiver fees. So DIRECTV gets you up front on your programming packs , because they are all about $10.00 more that DISH , on their like packs. Then DISH gets you on the additional receiver fees, DVR fees, integration Google box fees, dvr software for 211ks at $40.00, external hard fee for $40.00- now thankfully free. So you could actually come out paying MORE for DISH than DIRECTV, because of the extra FEES, DISH charges and the price for them. And do you remember all the other fees that they used to charge a few years back like the Tv 2 connection fees? They used to be able to be beat by keeping your receivers plugged into a phone line. NO more escape since now they are now rolled into the additional receiver fees. Everyone pays if you have more than one dual tuner dvr on your account. And before you think you avoided the fees by having only one receiver on your account, be informed that about $9.00 in your basic programming packs is for the Receiver and or dvr fees, built in.

DISH had the best programming price and the BEST dvr receivers out there and then they tacked all the made up , just because we can charge for it , FEES and I think that they did away with any competitive advantage they had over the competition. Just imagine what the multi-view FEE will be on the Xip receiver and the whole house dvr FEE they will charge. And we still don't know if they will Gouge us again for the Sling Extender , IF IT EVER COMES TO MARKET. Still waiting One year and counting on the promised release date.:mad:

I was doing some shopping since my son thought he wanted the NFL Sunday Ticket, so my figures are pretty current. I didn't make the change because D* made 3 offers, 2 better than the national offers, and those 2 they wouldn't honor after they made them.

At 2 receivers with a 722k and a 612, Direct is more expensive per month in total any way I figure it. At 3 boxes, then D* becomes about the same and maybe cheaper depending on which box of E*'s you're comparing with. Frankly the 612 is the equivalent of the HRs from D*, so only about $4/month more per box.

Dish still has the best programming prices and the best DVRs out there, they just cost a little more...

That ad, BTW, was from a dealer and not Dish. But it certainly would be better if they put in the monthly fees.

I always ask. And often, can't get a straight answer. For example, when I tried to figure out what my Fios bill would be if I switched, all the droid could do is chant the intro offer. Couldn't say what the bill would be after the intro period, couldn't figure out what the extra fees would be.

I was doing some shopping since my son thought he wanted the NFL Sunday Ticket, so my figures are pretty current. I didn't make the change because D* made 3 offers, 2 better than the national offers, and those 2 they wouldn't honor after they made them.

At 2 receivers with a 722k and a 612, Direct is more expensive per month in total any way I figure it. At 3 boxes, then D* becomes about the same and maybe cheaper depending on which box of E*'s you're comparing with. Frankly the 612 is the equivalent of the HRs from D*, so only about $4/month more per box.

Dish still has the best programming prices and the best DVRs out there, they just cost a little more...

That is about what I have found anytime people start making false claims of how much less Direct TV is. (Not in this thread) Honestly they are about neck in neck, and it does depend on the set-up, with Dish being less a little more often. No matter how you slice and dice it, it isn't about money when comparing, it's about what each carries for programming, HD, Internationals, news and sports in particular.

No matter how you slice and dice it, it isn't about money when comparing, it's about what each carries for programming, HD, Internationals, news and sports in particular.

Agreed. However, dish DVR equipment is far superior. They also have some good deals to help people when times are tough (welcome pack, dish pause, etc...).

As far as sports, D* wins, but you cannot be $7 for the NFL Red Zone during football season!

That ad, BTW, was from a dealer and not Dish. But it certainly would be better if they put in the monthly fees.

I always ask. And often, can't get a straight answer. For example, when I tried to figure out what my Fios bill would be if I switched, all the droid could do is chant the intro offer. Couldn't say what the bill would be after the intro period, couldn't figure out what the extra fees would be.
When I switched to FIOS I did it all online and it showed me what the fees would be after the promo runs out. Every bill I get also lists the original prices and then all of the discounts listed separately so I can see exactly what I am saving. I am not worried about ever paying full price because they will bargain if you call in and you don't even have to threaten to switch. They are running a promo now for $64.99 the Extreme Triple Play with 1 STB included, so it seems they are going even lower. I got the Ultimate for $126/mo. for 12 months and it goes up $20/mo. for the next 12. I was paying Dish $136/mo. just for TV, they offered $10 off for 12 months. We don't miss the DVRs as much as we thought we would, the whole house DVR with a 2TB external drive and the On Demand library has it all covered. And the FIOS DVR isn't bad at all, and the picture is way better. If times weren't getting so bad and Dish didn't blast us with $34/mo. in just box fees I would never have shopped around.

When I switched to FIOS I did it all online and it showed me what the fees would be after the promo runs out. Every bill I get also lists the original prices and then all of the discounts listed separately so I can see exactly what I am saving. I am not worried about ever paying full price because they will bargain if you call in and you don't even have to threaten to switch. They are running a promo now for $64.99 the Extreme Triple Play with 1 STB included, so it seems they are going even lower. I got the Ultimate for $126/mo. for 12 months and it goes up $20/mo. for the next 12. I was paying Dish $136/mo. just for TV, they offered $10 off for 12 months. We don't miss the DVRs as much as we thought we would, the whole house DVR with a 2TB external drive and the On Demand library has it all covered. And the FIOS DVR isn't bad at all, and the picture is way better. If times weren't getting so bad and Dish didn't blast us with $34/mo. in just box fees I would never have shopped around.

If only everyone could get FIOS. I'd say there would be a good chance I'd switch. But let's see now the closest FIOS is to me is 300 miles. Makes a difference.

Nice, thank you. But around here, it doesn't seem to work that way. And they have no ETA for the latest HD DVRs (WHICH DVR? There are at least 3). But every few months, I check. I think ultimate is the pkg I was looking at, and that's more than I pay Dish. But then, I gather you're talking about the internet/land line/TV pkg. Which would be a savings for me.

I'm quite happy with Dish, and have a ton on EHDs. But cost is cost, and if I ever lost my job, I'd have to look at Fios very seriously, very quickly. Or go OTA. I suspect I'd go minimum Dish until I watched all the EHD stuff, and by then, I'd probably have a new job that would support my Dish fix again. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts