1923 A Yellowstone Origin Story (2nd Yellowstone prequel)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
1883, to me, was little more than a wagon train movie I felt like I had seen 100 times before. This one seems more like just Yellowstone itself, without the politics but with more violence as the era it is set in allowed more of this type of stuff to go on without reproductions.

I could not get into 1883, but I hope I can this one.
You couldn't????
Wow, I thought 1883 was one of the best shows I'd ever watched. It got into me, big time. Enough that I got very emotional several times throughout the series and the final scene, her narration about seeing Heaven really was not only beautifully written, but for a person who over-the-top fears death, it was calming and reassuring.

You're the only person I've seen or heard say they didn't like the series

Reactions: dfergie
Watched the premiere last night. Wish they'd flesh out who was who a little better, as we weren't certain who was who and how they were related to they 1883 & Yellowstone casts.

Here's a guide that I came up with, after watching the show and looking at cast lists, of the characters for anyone who's watching:
  • Jacob Dutton (Harrison Ford) - James Dutton (Tim McGraw's brother) who was asked to come out to help after James was killed (seen in the second flashback from Yellowstone).
  • Cara Dutton (Helen Mirren) - Jacob's wife, from the looks of things they never had any children of their own and raised James & Margaret's kids after getting to Montana and finding Margaret had just passed away.
  • John Dutton Sr. (James Dale) - James & Margaret's oldest son (the little boy in 1883). Not sure I saw him anyway in the first episode.
  • Spenser Dutton (Brandon Sklenar) - James & Margaret's youngest son (born after 1883, seen in Yellowstone flashbacks), World War I vet, currently in Africa hunting big cats.
  • Jack Dutton (Darren Mann) - John Dutton Sr.'s son, Jacob's great-nephew, young cowboy about to get married. Not sure if he's John Dutton (Kevin Costner's) father or grandfather.
  • Emma Dutton (Marley Shelton) - John Dutton Sr.'s wife, Jack's mother. She was the only helping Cara's feed the animals and asked about dinner while the men were away.
  • Elizabeth "Liz" Strafford (Michelle Randolph) - Jack Dutton's fiance. I'm guessing Beth will be named after her.
  • Teanna Rainwater (Aminah) - Young lady that was beaten in the boarding school, I'm assuming an ancestor of Chairman Rainwater.
Oh the whole, really enjoyed the episode and look forward to next week.
Also saw that they plan to have 2 seasons of 8 episodes each.

You couldn't????
Wow, I thought 1883 was one of the best shows I'd ever watched. It got into me, big time. Enough that I got very emotional several times throughout the series and the final scene, her narration about seeing Heaven really was not only beautifully written, but for a person who over-the-top fears death, it was calming and reassuring.
I enjoyed it a lot, except for the Elsa Dutton character, she just annoyed me, but then again I love westerns, especially those that Sam Elliot is in. I actually enjoyed 1883 more than Yellowstone.
You're the only person I've seen or heard say they didn't like the series
To each their own, maybe he's not into westerns and wagon trails, movies. If I didn't like those types of shows, the Elsa character would have turned me off on it.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it a lot, except for the Elsa Dutton character, she just annoyed me, but then again I love westerns, as well as those Sam Elliot is in. I liked 1883 more than Yellowstone.

To each their own, maybe he's not into westerns and wagon trails, movies. If I didn't like those types of shows, the Elsa character would have turned me off on it.
I like westerns and wagon trail movies, but I can't remember what turned me off of 1883. I will try it again.

I enjoyed it a lot, except for the Elsa Dutton character, she just annoyed me, but then again I love westerns, especially those that Sam Elliot is in. I actually enjoyed 1883 more than Yellowstone.

I'm big-time into westerns, too. There are not many name Westerns made in my lifetime I haven't seen, most multiple times.

Reactions: Derwin0
My wife and I are on episode 6 on 1883. She is liking it more than I am due to the Elsa drama. There needs to be more shootouts and less romancing for me.

I am watching this until the next episode of 1923 comes out.

Reactions: Derwin0
Other than Elsa's voice over at the beginning of 1923, there is very little the two shows have in common other than the name Dutton.

Reactions: HipKat
My wife and I are on episode 6 on 1883. She is liking it more than I am due to the Elsa drama. There needs to be more shootouts and less romancing for me.

I am watching this until the next episode of 1923 comes out.
After finishing 1883, you should watch the 2 Yellowstone flashbacks (helps to introduce Spenser as well as wrap up 1883), and then start back on 1923.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz4pzAnVJQU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PSpPhDSD1g

*edit* unfortunately the second clip only has the first half of the second flashback, I'll have to look for the second half which shows what happens to James Dutton. It's from Yellowstone, Season 4, Episode 8, "No Kindness for the Coward".

Reactions: HipKat
After finishing 1883, you should watch the 2 Yellowstone flashbacks (helps to introduce Spenser as well as wrap up 1883), and then start back on 1923.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz4pzAnVJQU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PSpPhDSD1g

*edit* unfortunately the second clip only has the first half of the second flashback, I'll have to look for the second half which shows what happens to James Dutton. It's from Yellowstone, Season 4, Episode 8, "No Kindness for the Coward".

Will these be on Paramount+?

We finished watching 1883 so I can start back on 1923. It did get better as it went along, but my wife liked it better than I did. I wish it had shown the Dutton's at the one year ending.

We finished watching 1883 so I can start back on 1923. It did get better as it went along, but my wife liked it better than I did. I wish it had shown the Dutton's at the one year ending.
Probably felt there was no reason, as the second flashback in Yellowstone was shown at the same time 1883 premiered.