1923 A Yellowstone Origin Story (2nd Yellowstone prequel)

Watched the first 3 episodes yesterday. Already more interested in this than I was 1883. Wish I had waited for the entire season to finish because I want more and have to wait.
Don't be surprised if there's a cliffhanger at the end of the season, as the show was greenlighted for 2 seasons of 8 episodes each.

Reactions: osu1991
I personally don't think the show is living up to all the premier hype. It drags it's feet a lot and has yet to cover the character's backstory, with exception of Spencer.

I personally don't think the show is living up to all the premier hype. It drags it's feet a lot and has yet to cover the character's backstory, with exception of Spencer.
Yeah, the Montana parts are slow, but we're really enjoying the Africa scenes with Spencer.

Reactions: HipKat
Same with Yellowstone and every other show, Good cliff hanger though
This is how streaming (which has yet to make a cent) has to conduct itself. The flaw (well, one flaw) in streaming is churn. A customer picks up one, "binges" all the original content that looks interesting, then moves on to another, and so on, hoping that the first one has been refilled with something by the time its turn comes around again.

The fight to that is to have a series "breakthrough" where it is getting talked about, such as we see here, which causes spoilers, and then take a break just short enough to not make it worth the trouble to dump the service and then pick it back up, and thus get the customer to pay for the millions of hours of reruns that make up the rest of all of these services.

Will it work? I don't know. Maybe in the short term. Eventually the public will figure it out.

Reactions: HipKat
This is how streaming (which has yet to make a cent) has to conduct itself. The flaw (well, one flaw) in streaming is churn. A customer picks up one, "binges" all the original content that looks interesting, then moves on to another, and so on, hoping that the first one has been refilled with something by the time its turn comes around again.
If what you say is true, then the sub numbers would not go up so much every quarter.

Paramount+ added 4.6 million in Quarter 3, 2022

Paramount+ added 4.9 million in Quarter 2, 2022

Does not look like much churn to me, they have gained in 2 months almost as many as DirecTV has lost.

Reactions: HipKat and osu1991
These mid season breaks are what will cause me not to sub annually anymore and just do a couple months a year when shows are over. It’s bad enough having to wait weekly for episodes. Weekly episodes was the excuse for keeping subs longer.

Reactions: Derwin0
WTF....an 8 episode season and they have to take a midseason break until Feb 5th. :mad:
Every show on broadcast channels splits also, sometimes more then once, usually Nov-Dec., then again in March-first part of April, I know they make more episodes, but that is what their business model is, a few shows but more episode, streaming is less episodes but way too many shows ( I am very behind).

I have always thought that Netflix and the likes should do 12 episodes a year, split them up by 6, but do them as two complete seasons aired 6 months apart, that way the wait period would not be so long if renewed and gives a show a better chance of renewing.

If what you say is true, then the sub numbers would not go up so much every quarter.

Paramount+ added 4.6 million in Quarter 3, 2022

Paramount+ added 4.9 million in Quarter 2, 2022

Does not look like much churn to me, they have gained in 2 months almost as many as DirecTV has lost.
Good googling. If only you understood what those numbers mean.

Average monthly churn rate in 2022 by streaming service:
1)
Netflix – 3.3%
2)
Disney+ – 4.2%
3)
HBO Max – 4.7%
4)
Peacock – 5.7%
5) Average –
5.8%
6) Discovery+ – 5.9%
7)
Hulu – 6.4%
8)
Apple TV+ – 6.6%
9)
Paramount+ – 7.1%
10)
Showtime – 7.4%

The churn rate, which is well over 7% PER MONTH, is a different metric than the growth rate of subscribers.
What is happening, for those of us who understand basic metrics, is a huge churn rate. Over 7% in this case. The fact that subscriber numbers are growing, of course, is irrelevant. If you have 2 people leave and 3 new people come it, that doesn't change the churn rate. BASIC statistics. Eventually the subscriber numbers peak out (I think this is pretty certain for 2023) and then the churn becomes the major obstacle to profitability (which hasn't happened yet, still waiting to know what, exactly, has to happen for streaming to make a profit).

"Cliffhangers" and endless "midseason breaks" and such are the only way I can think of to fight the huge churn problem.

But maybe Paramount should just google us stuff until they find a statistic they don't understand and tell its stockholders that all is well.

Good googling. If only you understood what those numbers mean.

Average monthly churn rate in 2022 by streaming service:
1)
Netflix – 3.3%
2)
Disney+ – 4.2%
3)
HBO Max – 4.7%
4)
Peacock – 5.7%
5) Average –
5.8%
6) Discovery+ – 5.9%
7)
Hulu – 6.4%
8)
Apple TV+ – 6.6%
9)
Paramount+ – 7.1%
10)
Showtime – 7.4%

The churn rate, which is well over 7% PER MONTH, is a different metric than the growth rate of subscribers.
What is happening, for those of us who understand basic metrics, is a huge churn rate. Over 7% in this case. The fact that subscriber numbers are growing, of course, is irrelevant. If you have 2 people leave and 3 new people come it, that doesn't change the churn rate. BASIC statistics. Eventually the subscriber numbers peak out (I think this is pretty certain for 2023) and then the churn becomes the major obstacle to profitability (which hasn't happened yet, still waiting to know what, exactly, has to happen for streaming to make a profit).

"Cliffhangers" and endless "midseason breaks" and such are the only way I can think of to fight the huge churn problem.

But maybe Paramount should just google us stuff until they find a statistic they don't understand and tell its stockholders that all is well.
Everyone here knows what churn is, but it is a meaningless statistic when you constantly gain subscribers quarter after quarter, not by little amounts, but a net gain of 3 million each quarter, they are making up that 7% and increasing by a lot more.

Where churn is bad is when you are in the negative , no gains, straight losses.

Like DirecTV, from 22 million to 10 million, a roughly 54% loss, continues to lose , roughly, 500,000 a quarter, a 5% loss every quarter with no new subscribers to make it up.

Paramount+ went from 43 million to 46 million, a 7% gain even after your churn data.

By the way, that link is almost a year old.

Everyone here knows what churn is,
Apparently not you. You googled up something that had nothing to do with churn and then hit me with, whatabout.

but it is a meaningless statistic
Forbes doesn't think so. Neither do all the other market analysts. I'll stick with them. They mostly don't use google for research.

BTW, still waiting for exactly what has to happen for streaming to be profitable.

Exactly.

I'll wait.

The fight to that is to have a series "breakthrough" where it is getting talked about, such as we see here, which causes spoilers, and then take a break just short enough to not make it worth the trouble to dump the service and then pick it back up, and thus get the customer to pay for the millions of hours of reruns that make up the rest of all of these services.

Will it work? I don't know. Maybe in the short term. Eventually the public will figure it out.
The thing is, like this discussion is to avoid them. If you don’t want to take a chance on seeing a spoiler. I didn’t come into this thread this week, until after I saw the last episode, for example,

The biggest mistake in this case, it may opinion was airing 1923 at the same time as Yellowstone instead of one series after the other.

Reactions: SamCdbs
I'm beginning to see what Taylor Sheridan is all about. These shows are not bad. Actually pretty good. But its all just mash ups of other things. 1923, for example, is part The Razor's Edge, part The African Queen, part Indiana Jones, part any standard range war movie, part revisionist history western.

Reactions: N5XZS and Derwin0