1m motorized satellite dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SATMAN03

Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
I already have a VS Ultra, and I'm thinking about buying a 1m motorized satellite dish off of ebay. 39" GOSPELL Ku BAND SATELLITE DISH w LNB f 118.7 & 119 - (eBay item 300160241796 end time Oct-17-07 18:42:59 PDT) And It comes with a circular lnb, and linear lnb. And I will buy a motor to go with the dish. However I'm thinking about buying a c-band lnb to add to the dish as well. I know that I will only be able to pick up the high powered stuff with the c-band lnb. And I was wandering if KCSG-TV on 97w is powerful enough to pick up on a 1m satellite dish? And I was also wandering if I will have to buy a bracket to put on the dish to hold the 3 lnb's, or if the dish will hold the lnb's the way it is now? I have also been reading the online satellite motor setup guides, and most of them aren't very detailed. So I was wandering if I had to skew the lnb's, or leave them at zero? And as far as setting up the satellite dish, and motor goes. I have my longitude, latitude, and true south, and I know I will have to find my motor angle before I can setup the satellite dish, and motor. However is there anything else that I need to know to be able to setup the satellite dish, and motor? And if there is any setup guides, or pictures that might help me set this up, then please send me a link to them as well. Any help will be appreciated! :)

I think it would be worthwhile to break this down a little bit

I already have a VS Ultra, and I'm thinking about buying a 1m motorized satellite dish off of ebay.39" GOSPELL Ku BAND SATELLITE DISH w LNB f 118.7 & 119 And It comes with a circular lnb, and linear lnb. And I will buy a motor to go with the dish.

I bought this dish as well. It's okay but you might be better with something like a Fortec Star dish. Mine is already rusting in spots and worst of all, my standpipe was slightly bent. Regardless, I wouldn't get too excited about the free circular LNB because there's very little unencrypted channels on the satellites they are quoting. You could cable tie your circular LNB to the linear LNB but that's pretty much only if you don't get a motor and you're looking to get one linear satellite and one circular satellite that happen to be close together (less than 10 degrees apart).

However I'm thinking about buying a c-band lnb to add to the dish as well. I know that I will only be able to pick up the high powered stuff with the c-band lnb. And I was wandering if KCSG-TV on 97w is powerful enough to pick up on a 1m satellite dish? And I was also wandering if I will have to buy a bracket to put on the dish to hold the 3 lnb's, or if the dish will hold the lnb's the way it is now?

You won't be able to get C-band on this dish. Some experienced FTA'ers have got C-band to work on a 1.2M dish, but mostly you need 1.8M or bigger. Those brackets are mostly for circular LNBs because it gets difficult to get a good signal if the LNB if offset to either side. Once again, if you go with a motor then it would be impossible to use a bracket.

I have also been reading the online satellite motor setup guides, and most of them aren't very detailed. So I was wandering if I had to skew the lnb's, or leave them at zero?

Without a motor, pointing at a satellite that's not directly South of you then you will need to skew the LNB a bit. If you go with a motor, then you do not need to skew the LNB because the arc of the motor takes care of the direction and the skew.

And as far as setting up the satellite dish, and motor goes. I have my longitude, latitude, and true south, and I know I will have to find my motor angle before I can setup the satellite dish, and motor. However is there anything else that I need to know to be able to setup the satellite dish, and motor?

Anyone here will say the most important thing is to make sure your pole is perfectly plumb, especially if you're going to install a motor.

And if there is any setup guides, or pictures that might help me set this up, then please send me a link to them as well. Any help will be appreciated! :)

There are some good guides on Sadoun and also just general Q&A on this board.

Okay, now for the good news because I don't want to totally rain on your parade. Getting a motor is a great idea. Put aside any ideas of C-band because there's plenty of good stuff to see in the Ku-band. If you really want circular, buy the Invacom QPH-031 LNB, it has linear and circular on one LNB so it works like a charm with a motor. Many on this site use it for this reason and also because it has excellent performance.

If you still have your heart set on C-band, you can also pick up a separate bigger dish later on. Fortec makes 1.8M dish that ships in smaller pieces so the shipping prices are decent.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead, you won't regret it. Welcome to the board :)

I hope satman03 has good luck setting up his vs ultra with a motor.Because I also have the same receiver and I still can't get it to properly control my hh90.It seems ultras are terrible for this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts