2 actuators?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Conky

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
SW Ontario
what is the purpose of 2 actuators on a bud?
(like seen here)
any guesses as to make/size? what would it be worth? would I need two positioners?

On a polar mount, properly aligned, there's no need for a second actuator. I could see it on a 'motorized Az-El' mount. Ah, wait, just thought of something else. How about tracking an inclined orbit satellite? Think there's one around here that drifts N-S 1.some degrees. Think it's been allowed to save station keeping fuel to extend lifetime. (But I'll be danged I can't think of it's name or location) Looks to be 10ft. But pictures can deceive.

Might be an elevation adjuster to peak the dish - especially far east and west on the arc. Whatever it is, you would need two dish movers.

Mostly I've seen two motors only on European sat pix.
I know your dish is in Canada, but it was likely used
for some special application on an inclined-orbit bird.
I'd never do that for TV sat application in North America.

AMC5 is inclined 1.5°. If the beamwidth of the dish is less than the inclination of the orbit, mechanical means of tracking is necessary. Larger the dish, the higher the probability. If it were for a non-geostationary satellite, I think an Az-El mount would have been used, as more 'range' is possible. [Elevation 0 to 90°] looks like the 2nd actuator could only move that dish about 5-10° at most. [At least one of the TDRISS satellites is also inclined.]
KISS principle. Make it a fixed decllination mount for FTA. Less to fail later down the road. and it's really not necessary. (unless maybe its on a 6-10meter dish)

i've seen a monster dish it actually has two actuators . if i can get some pictures i will post them but this dish was setup like a stationary dish with a single actuator to set the elevation . and the second actuator turned the whole dish, pole & all.

what is the purpose of 2 actuators on a bud?
(like seen here)
any guesses as to make/size? what would it be worth? would I need two positioners?

Conky,

Kinda hard to guess from the photos, but the small positioner and I-beam are modded in and not part of the original design. Agreed, maybe used for a declination tweak. I don't see the elevation screw that should be just above the rotation collar. If missing is why the dish looks very low in the full West position.
But the important thing is the condition of the reflector looks very good. You can probably return it to a standard polar mount, or maybe set the second positioner once and forget it. Must not be to far from you, try for free, or up to $100.

Conky,

I don't see the elevation screw that should be just above the rotation collar. If missing is why the dish looks very low in the full West position.

It's a Winegard,doesn't use a large elevation screw.Elevation is coarse adjusted by selecting the nearest "latitude" hole with a thru bolt,then there is a smaller bolt to fine tune the elevation.It's hidden behind the main actuator in those pictures.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)