2 DVR's same problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.
2, the HR21 and a standard HD box

OK, coming out of the 5 LNB set up, you have the ability to have 4 connections.
IF your dish is accessible, I would run 2 lines to the HR21 and 1 line to the other rec . on thier own and do away with the splitter they are using.

Is this something you can do ?

Jimbo

ill have to get into my attic and look but i think i reember only 2 lines coming from my dish....i think my initial install was half assed my local contractor, mastek is aweful

basically, if you want to be able to record one channel and watch another you will need 2 lines to the DVR , 1 line to the other rec. will work fine.

First of all remove the splitter and see if your trouble goes away.

Jimbo

i removed the spiltter and connected the coax to tuner 1 but all i got was searching for signal on 2

i removed the spiltter and connected the coax to tuner 1 but all i got was searching for signal on 2

Do you have 2 seperate lines going to the receiver , if not thats why you have the Searching for signal on # 2.
IF you don't and want to test it, move the coax from sat 1 to sat 2 and you'll have tuner 2 working but not 1.

Jimbo

does it matter any that i had the same problem with the R15?

I'm not sure on this one, but I'm thinking it may be your problem, can you bypass it and see what happens.
I cannot tell if thats a standard splitter or something satellite specific.

Take a stab at this IWC ...

edit, Well it's definatly a sat splitter, my experience with sat splitters are, DONT.
Like I mentioned , try bypassing it and see if your problem goes away.

Jimbo

Yep, the installer was an idiot and an effing lazy one at that. He should have ran the second cable for the DVR.

It is a standard splitter, BTW.

That tells us that it's NOT the rec. for sure.

Do as I mentioned previously , run your seperate lines if you can directly to the dish LNB's and omit the splitter and you should be good to go.

It's getting late for me, 5:30 comes around early.
Pm me if you want.

I see IWC is back , maybe he can continue helping you tonight.

Jimbo

That tells us that it's NOT the rec. for sure.

Do as I mentioned previously , run your seperate lines if you can directly to the dish LNB's and omit the splitter and you should be good to go.

It's getting late for me, 5:30 comes around early.
Pm me if you want.

I see IWC is back , maybe he can continue helping you tonight.

Jimbo

Jimbo is on the right track. You will need to run an RG-6 cable from the LNB assembly (which has 4 outputs) to the ground block (if there is one), then from the ground block to the receiver.

bamereihn, how long ago was your system updated to HD? If it was recently, you should call either D* or the installation company and have them come back out and fix it at no charge to you. This is a substandard installation that should have never happened.

Directv called me, shocking, and said I needed a 200-2150 splitter. Went to best buy and they had a 4-2150 diplexer.....yup that doesnt work either

THANKS AGAIN DIRECTV:mad:

Directv called me, shocking, and said I needed a 200-2150 splitter. Went to best buy and they had a 4-2150 diplexer.....yup that doesnt work either

THANKS AGAIN DIRECTV:mad:

Unless you have a SWM installed, a splitter will NOT work with a D* system.

Here's the reason why.

D* uses to different voltages plus a control tone that is sent from the receiver back through the lines to the LNB to select the satellite and transponders. These are 13/18 VDC and 22kHZ, which gives you 4 possible combinations.

13VDC, no tone = odd transponders on 99 and 101 sats
18VDC, no tone = even transponders on 99 and 101 sats
13VDC, 22kHZ tone = odd transponders on 103/110/119 sats
18VDC, 22kHZ tone = even transponders on 103/110/119 sats

Because of this, there are actually two issues associated with the use of splitters. First of all, not all splitters will pass a DC voltage back through the splitter into the common wire.

Secondly, and most importantly as it pertains to D* is this. When a signal is split and sent to two different receivers, you are going to have voltage control issues. While this is not a problem when the receivers are using the same satellite and odd/even transponder selection, it is a problem when they are not.
18VDC will always drown out the 13VDC signal, just like the presence of the 22kHZ tone will make the LNB think that both receivers are requesting those transponders.

They told you to buy a splitter and you bought a diplexer instead?

What is your goal (I guess I missed it)?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)