2 Hopper / 1 Joey Setup

mackie99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 28, 2007
Sunny Southern California
I just signed up for Dish and I'm getting 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey. The hoppers are 1 with sling and the other is the original hopper.

Questions --

Is this setup good. Or should I get 2 hoppers with sling? I do have the original sling that I can hook up to the other hopper.

How much faster is the hopper with sling than the original hopper?

I have the same setup. HWS is noticable faster, whenever I go to use the one in the bedroom, lag is obvious. Older Hopper can use the sling adapter IIRC.

But, is it worth the $100 to get another hopper with sling? I already paid $99 for the second hopper. They want another $100 to make it a hopper with sling.

But, is it worth the $100 to get another hopper with sling? I already paid $99 for the second hopper. They want another $100 to make it a hopper with sling.

It's really a matter of whether the extra built-in sling features are important to you like the ipad transfers.

The regular hopper is pretty fast as is. Especially when you compare it to a Joey.

I have 2 Hoppers w/Sling and 2 original Hoppers (plus 1 Joey) and the HwS is a good bit faster but the Hopper 2000 is still reasonably fast. Joey is pretty sluggish but still usable. All are far faster than most of DirecTVs receivers.

I just signed up for Dish and I'm getting 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey. The hoppers are 1 with sling and the other is the original hopper.

Questions --

Is this setup good. Or should I get 2 hoppers with sling? ...
This is the exact setup I would like (2 hoppers, 1 Joey) but am told that is not possible?
The reason given was that other than 1H/0J setups, Dish is required to sell at least 1J with each H. ?!?
Can someone clarify this?

Dish is telling me that if I get 2 hoppers I *HAVE* to get 2 Joeys and this does not make sense to me.
I only have 3 TVs. I want the extra tuners that 2 hoppers will give me.
I don't want to have to pay the monthly service fee for the 2nd Joey I won't need.

As an aside, I'm going to catch up on Scott's Sling review and will probably order 1 or both of the Hoppers as Sling units.

Thanks in advance for any tips! It's time to move on from my dual 722/508 setup to some hoppers.

Wrong. Just get DIRT to set it up. I had a Hopper and Joey, added a HWS and then disconnected the Joey because its only for fball. Right now I have the HWS in the living room and the old Hopper in the bedroom, Joey is in the closet resting.

Wrong. Just get DIRT to set it up...
Not to cause trouble (really) but they are the ones telling me this. (That I have to get at least 1 Joey with each Hopper)

I was hoping someone could tell me a way around it. Like perhaps what you did... should I take both Joeys if they require them, but then call and disconnect one of them. It sounds like the Joeys are free anyway, right?
I just don't want to get locked in to a 24 month commitment that in some way requires service on 4 units.

Simplest way to get a 2 Hopper 1 Joey setup, or a 2 Hopper only setup is just use a local installing retailer. They do this all the time without any of the soggyness of Dish's position.

Not to cause trouble (really) but they are the ones telling me this. (That I have to get at least 1 Joey with each Hopper)

I was hoping someone could tell me a way around it. Like perhaps what you did... should I take both Joeys if they require them, but then call and disconnect one of them. It sounds like the Joeys are free anyway, right?
I just don't want to get locked in to a 24 month commitment that in some way requires service on 4 units.
My joey is not disconnected, I pay for it, its just put up part of the year. Im not sure why DIRT members would tell you this when they added my HWS. I had one hopper and one joey, and asked them for a HWS sling. I just paid for it. The installer put it in the room with the Joey and I put the Joey in the closet until August. So on my account I have 2 Hoppers and a Joey, but am only running the two Hoppers.

My joey is not disconnected, I pay for it, its just put up part of the year. Im not sure why DIRT members would tell you this when they added my HWS. I had one hopper and one joey, and asked them for a HWS sling. I just paid for it. The installer put it in the room with the Joey and I put the Joey in the closet until August. So on my account I have 2 Hoppers and a Joey, but am only running the two Hoppers.

They added your HwS after your initial install, hence why they gave no issues.

The workaround is to either use a local retailer, or just comply and get the Joeys, have the installer activate them, disconnect them, when the installer leaves contact Dish and tell them you want to deactivate the Joeys, they'll send out free boxes to return them.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

To me its stupid they would not install 1 Joey and 2 Hoppers from the get go.

I agree with that sentiment!

It's just their way of cheaping out. Dish apparently thinks that only 3 tuners for 3 TVs is plenty.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

When I first called, they told me I couldn't get 2 hoppers and 1 joey. They said they could only do 2 hoppers with 3 joeys (yes, 3). I told them I had 2 hoppers and 1 joey last year and the guy said let me talk to my supervisor. He came back and said that he would could do 2 hoppers and 1 joey. I guess I just got lucky.

I asked DIRT about it before I called and they told me they could only do 2 hoppers and 2 joeys.

This is what MattG from DIRT said to me "I cannot setup 2 hoppers and 1 Joey. I can setup 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys though"

Also, my final setup is going to be 2 hoppers with sling and 1 joey.

The workaround is to either use a local retailer, or just comply and get the Joeys, have the installer activate them, disconnect them, when the installer leaves contact Dish and tell them you want to deactivate the Joeys, they'll send out free boxes to return them.
Thank you.
Any difference in costs if I use a local installer vs. Dish?

Also, do you know if the 24 month commitment I have to sign is tied to a service fee of 4 units for 24 months (in my case because I want 2H/1J)? If so, I'd risk incurring a penalty when returning the unnecessary unit.

They will install 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey. Just tell the installer you changed your mind and don't want the 2nd Joey. You do not have to have it hooked up. There are many posts on here that say the same thing. I ordered 2 and 2 from Dish and not a local installer. When he arrived I told him that I changed my mind and he never even brought the 2nd Joey in the house. I totally agree it's stupid but it is so easy to play the game.

Last edited:
Thank you.
Any difference in costs if I use a local installer vs. Dish?

Also, do you know if the 24 month commitment I have to sign is tied to a service fee of 4 units for 24 months (in my case because I want 2H/1J)? If so, I'd risk incurring a penalty when returning the unnecessary unit.

No, no penalties as long as you remain a Dish customer. Cost difference is negligible between local or Dish.

They will install 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey. Just tell the installer you changed your mind and don't want the 2nd Joey. You do not have to have it hooked up. There are many posts on here that say the same thing. I ordered 2 and 2 from Dish and not a local installer. When he arrived I told that I changed my mind and he never even brought the 2nd Joey in the house. I totally agree it's stupid but it is so easy to play the game.

Different people have different luck. A lot of installers "must" complete the ENTIRE workorder in order for it to be a success. Thus, both Joeys will have had to be activated, then deactivated later. My method is just the safest bet. If you ended up with an installer that could get it done without doing that, that's great, maybe others can too.

Okay, it sounds like either way there is no penalty as long as I'm still a Dish customer. I either
- luck into a service rep that will let me order 2H/1J
- or luck into an installer that will only install the equipment I actually need
- or get 4 boxes installed on 3 TVs <scratch head> and then call and cancel 1J and send it back.

Don't know why they just can't give the people the hardware they want!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)