2 More Weeks!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
TheTimm, I read somewhere in the last month that the number of people using DVRs (both sat and cable) was under 5% more like 3% if I remember correctly. So, yes, this group is not a cross section of users. We're tech junkies. However, that said and although we do not have a DVR I believe once people are exposed to one they would "have to have" one as several people have answered my questions before about the necessity of a DVR and assumed me my life will end if we don't have one.

Still enjoying HDTV under clear and cold Seattle skies, Gill

P.S.: What's a "VCR"?

I used to use a TiVo when I was on Dish Network. Then, I switched over to Voom, which at the time you couldn't use the TiVo with. Then, the ability to use TiVo with Voom became available, but when I tried to boot my TiVo, it wouldn't boot :no . I used to use the Dish 5000 with modulator & a Hi-PIx card to record HD off of Dish Network, so I just set up a computer with the HiPix card in it, and am able to at least record the OTA HD channels with a DVR-type interface. It's a pretty good solution until the Voom DVR makes it out.

SeattleVoomer1 said:
TheTimm, I read somewhere in the last month that the number of people using DVRs (both sat and cable) was under 5% more like 3% if I remember correctly. So, yes, this group is not a cross section of users. We're tech junkies. However, that said and although we do not have a DVR I believe once people are exposed to one they would "have to have" one as several people have answered my questions before about the necessity of a DVR and assumed me my life will end if we don't have one.

Still enjoying HDTV under clear and cold Seattle skies, Gill

P.S.: What's a "VCR"?
I'm not suggesting that it's not the greatest thing since free love -- just curious why everyone seems to think there will be a storming of Voom the day it is introduced. And now I learn that you can indeed use a DVR - albeit an SD one - with Voom? So how many of the 3-5% of current DVR users use HD-DVR's? Those are the ones that would be leaving their current provider for Voom, right? Still could be a lot of people, but doesn't sound like enough to "save" a company all by itself. I'd like to think Voom will still be addressing all the other issues that have been beaten into the ground on these forums -- although personally, I'm quite happy with Voom just the way it is.

This http://www.hometheatermag.com/news/012405voom/ was an interesting article that came out shortly after the news of certain asset sales to E*. It's really nothing new. My feeling is that if you have an HDTV, the next logical step would be to look forward to more content, not necessarily a DVR. I'd never had rewind TV. I tried one out on a visit to my parent's house and thought the concept might be easy to grasp, therefor I'm looking forward to VOOM's DVR. I plan to purchase one outright.

I can't watch live tv after using tivo (well, UltimateTv, actually). The commercials drive me nuts.

Not having a DVR for Voom is the one thing making me thinking of dropping the service. I still keep my DirecTv just for that. I'd rather watch a low-def program without commercials than a hi-def version (ABC, etc) stuffed with them.

I think one of the frustrating things about this is that the technology is out there now. My fear is that VOOM is reaching a bit too far by trying to come out of the gate with something that's packed with more features than anyone else can offer, but that doesn't work right. That would be a HUGE mistake on their part.

I'd rather see them come out with industry standard features, and do it right...then add the bells and whistles one step at a time.

If they would do that, and make it customer-installable, they would have a winning package, and would have a very difficult time meeting demand.

Either that, or someone needs to hack the STB to enable that damned USB2 port ;)

Lob

Lobstah said:
I think one of the frustrating things about this is that the technology is out there now. My fear is that VOOM is reaching a bit too far by trying to come out of the gate with something that's packed with more features than anyone else can offer, but that doesn't work right. That would be a HUGE mistake on their part.

I'd rather see them come out with industry standard features, and do it right...then add the bells and whistles one step at a time.

If they would do that, and make it customer-installable, they would have a winning package, and would have a very difficult time meeting demand.

Either that, or someone needs to hack the STB to enable that damned USB2 port ;)

Lob

Making it customer installable is a great idea. But if they come out with something cutting edge and reliable, it would mean that you would not need to upgrade for a while. With D* getting away from tivo, their subs are now faced with having to upgrade to newer technology if they choose.

Like the earlier post stated, about the treachery of commercials on broadcast TV, the tivo box enables you to bypass that. It is my understanding that nowadays, you don't even need to subscribe to sat or cab to have tivo. But the commercials don't bother me anyway. I suppose when I get my DVR, that will change and I'll become just as dependant as everyone who has tivo.

The commercial thing is kind of funny, I think.
Years ago, there was a business plan for a company that basically consisted of charging an extra monthly fee for the ability to watch the programming offered (mostly movies) commercial FREE. A lot of people laughed at that, but HBO is pretty much a household word, and branched out to offer original programming, etc.

At some point, the effectiveness of normal commercial advertising on TV is going to continue to dwindle to the point that unless you want to market your product to the population of non-dvr/tivo owning TV audience out there, it's just not going to be worth the money. I realize that's quite a few years down the road, but clearly a new delivery mechanism is going to be called for in the advert industry. ;)

Can't wait for that one ;)

Lob

I think the "new delivery" has already started. Try watching a basketball game, for example. It drives me nuts that every play type is named after a sponsor and they continually plug them. During the baseball season, they keep panning to show members of the "crew" who conveniently have product placement prominently displayed. In other cases, we have the "brought to you by..." just before and after the commercials. Some programs now just appear to be vehicles for commercials. Try watching "The Apprentice" - it has turned into nothing more than an advert for a different company each week - at first it was quite subtle, but now it is blatant with the hosts even doing a 30-second spot at the end (how embarrassing!)

The battle will continue, and will escalate...and so will the value of "commercial free" anything, be it radio or television. I can't stand to listen to radio any more, and don't understand how anyone else can either. 6 minutes of music followed by 3 minutes of commercials. That's what brought about the likes of XM and Sirius, who offer at least SOME commercial free channels. And as the effectiveness of the simple Tide commercial continues to dwindle, advertising agencies need to find ways to increase the return on investment.

Lob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)