2 new stations coming to Parkersburg, WV and Mid-Ohio valley

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Two new television stations are coming to the Valley … and one of them is CBS.

Gray Television, Inc. -- parent company of WTAP, FOX Parkersburg and My5 -- is announcing these two new stations today.

On or about September 1st, the new CBS station will be launched in HD on WIYE-TV, digital channel 47. The call letters of WIYE were selected because of their similarity to the word "eye," in reference to the CBS logo. WIYE will also carry My5 as a side channel.

At about the same time, FOX Parkersburg will move to WOVA-TV. That way, folks who receive television signals free, over-the-air, will be able to see it in HD. Currently, as a side channel to WTAP, FOX Parkersburg is only offered in standard definition. The letters "OVA" are meant to stand for Ohio Valley.

New CBS Affiliate Coming To Mid-Ohio Valley

amazing that a few years ago this was a one station town (WTAP NBC) and soon they'll have CBS & Fox in HD OTA

currently
15-1 NBC in HD
15-2 Fox in SD widescreen
15-3 MyNetwork in SD
15-4 weather

once the changes made
15-1 NBC in HD
15-2 weather
22-1 Fox in HD
47-1 CBS in HD
47-2 MyNetwork in SD

(they get 2 PBS stations too)

The only thing missing will be ABC. Wish their transmitters were stronger. I thought one company was not allowed to own so many stations in one market. I am surprised they didn't go ahead and get ABC while they were at it. I assume these stations all come off the same tower? I know that they put up a new tower this past year.

The only thing missing will be ABC. Wish their transmitters were stronger.
the other thing is the 2 new stations are considered low powered so they can only be at 15000 watts max...WTAP is like 48000 right now

I thought one company was not allowed to own so many stations in one market.
The rule is if there is I think less than 6 stations in a market (might be 8) that one company cannot own two stations of the Big 4 networks. But there are so many loopholes in that its hilarious. Things like a company creates a shell company and then buys a station or I'll buy the CBS in a market and give the keys to you who owns NBC and say there ya go....run my CBS station. The only time you see my company name is tax time and on the FCC records.

But when you deal with short markets where nobody else wants to put a station there the rules are different (also subchannels are different too). The Fox subchannel all they are doing is moving that to a new tower so they can go HD OTA (there is a HD feed for cable and D* but not OTA)
My Network isnt classified as a big 4 so its exempt. Why they dont run the 2 hours of My after Fox is done (like many markets do) is questionable.
Obviously Gray Broadcasting told the FCC what their plans were and they (FCC) approved it. They are also adding CBS to 2 short markets too (Harrisonburg, VA and Panama City, FL)

I am surprised they didn't go ahead and get ABC while they were at it.
I am too. Comments on the story on WTAP mentioned that too

I assume these stations all come off the same tower? I know that they put up a new tower this past year.
looking at FCC records yes they will all be off same tower.

The one comment I liked was someone wrote "you gonna show something other than Jewelry TV at night or do we get 4 channels of that crap on overnights?" :)

Just found out we (in Panama City, FL) are getting a new CBS affiliate from the same folks sometime in September on channel 18!!! WECP will be the call letters. Question is - how strong will their signal be?? Stronger the Fox 28's I hope!!!

I dont know but you hope they do....reason being is once it launches you will lose the imported CBS (WTVY) due to the rule that if there is an affiliate in the market Dish can't import one

Since Gray owns it there shouldn't be an issue (they are on good terms). The last couple channels that launched from scratch (KNPN Fox in St Joe, MO comes to mind) Dish had it uplinked and ready to go before they launched

I dont know but you hope they do....reason being is once it launches you will lose the imported CBS (WTVY) due to the rule that if there is an affiliate in the market Dish can't import one

Since Gray owns it there shouldn't be an issue (they are on good terms). The last couple channels that launched from scratch (KNPN Fox in St Joe, MO comes to mind) Dish had it uplinked and ready to go before they launched

Thanks for your insight Iceberg!! I hope you are right.

WTAP launched the stations today.....soft launch
9/3 is actual turn on date

UPDATE: 8/24/2012

WTAP's new TV stations are now on-the-air with test signals.
These stations will be the homes for our new CBS station, WIYE.as well as FOX Parkersburg and My5.
The exact cable channels are still being negotiated, but those of you who pick up TV using an antenna, can go ahead and scan in the new channels now.
That way, you'll be ready to go when CBS-47 signs on, on Labor Day
morning, September 3rd.
You can now pick up FOX Parkersburg in HIGH DEFINITION on our new over-the-air digital channel 22. The Standard Definition version of that FOX signal will go away on Sept. 3.
We've put up our new CBS 47 logo on WIYE's over-the-air channel, 47-point-one, so you can tell when you have it tuned in.
Our My5 station is already on 47-point-2.
For more information, go to the station information section of wtap.com

Well I connected the old DTV pal and used an old UHF antenna from either my old 625 or 722 and I'm getting WTAP Digital at a 75-85 signal (fluctuating but holding video with little pixelation) I cannot pick up the new channels test patterns but I didn't even really expect to pick up WTAP with an old remote antenna so I guess they have done quality work in upgrading their tower since 2010 (I was lucky to get 65% signal strength with an indoor HDTV antenna w/ built in amplifier) since the initial upgrades to go from Analog to Digital in 2006 or 2007.

the good news with WECP is the rest of PC locals are already in HD so they CAN carry it in HD at the start
Just remember.....if Dish doesnt get an agreement with WECP whatever day they say they are starting broadcasting Dish (and DIrectv) will have to pull the WTVY regardless (due to FCC rules)

I used to pick up WTAP 15 (NBC) back in the mid to late 1980's with an indoor loop antenna 30 miles away very well. Can't even pick it up with an outdoor antenna now.

the good news with WECP is the rest of PC locals are already in HD so they CAN carry it in HD at the start
Just remember.....if Dish doesnt get an agreement with WECP whatever day they say they are starting broadcasting Dish (and DIrectv) will have to pull the WTVY regardless (due to FCC rules)

Guess we'll have to wait and see. They are touting that Sept 1st is the date for broadcast, but you never know with Dish. Good news to hear about the HD. So tired of Dothan being in SD, but I do realize we are in a short market. Some folks are missing a market totally.

As always thanks Iceberg.

yes it will have to be uplinked. Check Wednesday's uplink report to see if its there. Usually they test a week before launching it so normally the provider will work with Gray to see when the actual launch is and get it ready for broadcast. As example the Parkersburg station is 9/3 at 6AM.

yes it will have to be uplinked. Check Wednesday's uplink report to see if its there. Usually they test a week before launching it so normally the provider will work with Gray to see when the actual launch is and get it ready for broadcast. As example the Parkersburg station is 9/3 at 6AM.
Just got a note they are pushing the broadcast date from the 1st to the 10th. As per your testing comment I assume.

The 1st is a Saturday which would be odd. The 10th being a Monday I can see

They may be doing OTA testing but wont go "live" on cable/satellite until the 10th.

back ot the original topic (Parkersburg) ;)

WIYE HD (CBS 47) has been uplinked today on Directv (not yet available)...station goes live on 9/3