2 Sets of HD Locals on one HD DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kvez

Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
I have two accounts with D*...one in Dallas, the other in Aspen, where I have a vacation home. I moved my HR24-500 HD DVR to Dallas for 3-4 months because I have older DVRs there, and I like the way this one works. I will bring it back to CO with me when I return in December. When I plug it in, I get my normal programming and all of my Denver locals (even though I am in Dallas). I miss my Dallas locals on this machine, however as they come in handy for weather, tornado alerts, etc but I'd like to keep the Denver locals on there as well, since I'm getting them already.

My question: I have an off-air antenna that is feeding local stations to my Dallas receivers. If I purchase an AM-21 off-air tuner and plug it into the HR24 (and input my Dallas zip-code, when asked) will I then get the Dallas OTA locals as well as the Denver locals that are being fed through the SAT?

I have two accounts with D*...one in Dallas, the other in Aspen, where I have a vacation home. I moved my HR24-500 HD DVR to Dallas for 3-4 months because I have older DVRs there, and I like the way this one works. I will bring it back to CO with me when I return in December. When I plug it in, I get my normal programming and all of my Denver locals (even though I am in Dallas). I miss my Dallas locals on this machine, however as they come in handy for weather, tornado alerts, etc but I'd like to keep the Denver locals on there as well, since I'm getting them already.

My question: I have an off-air antenna that is feeding local stations to my Dallas receivers. If I purchase an AM-21 off-air tuner and plug it into the HR24 (and input my Dallas zip-code, when asked) will I then get the Dallas OTA locals as well as the Denver locals that are being fed through the SAT?
yes you will

I have a AM21 on my R22 and I get in the guide
Minneapolis locals (OTA)
Mankato locals (OTA...2ndary zip)
Duluth, MN locals via sat (I'm a "mover" too)

Mpls and Mankato are in HD...Duluth is not. But in your case depending on the spotbeam you might get the HD locals from sat

Thanks Iceberg...I appreciate it. I'll spring for the AM21 and see what happens...

So I went ahead and but the OTA Tuner and had D* energize the box. I am getting my Dallas OTA channels, but for some reason, I am not getting the Denver locals. They all show up properly in the guide, (and the Dallas locals do ot...which is as it should be) but when I select a Denver Channel from the guide, all I get is a message saying "searching for signal on Satellite In 2 (771)". I've reset the box manually, but that doesn't seem to help. Literally every other channel is coming through without difficulty, except these. I can certainly live without them, but it would be nice to see Denver weather, events, etc. while we are here. Does anyone know what I need to do?

you're probably outside of the spotbeam

most of the locals are on spotbeam so they only cover a couple hundred miles from the main city

Yep...Dallas is a long way from Aspen, no way you can get those locals in Dallas. You can also call DirecTV and tell them what address you are at when you are there. That way you will get the locals and don't have to deal with the antenna.

Thanks...I bought the OTA receiver so I could receive Dallas OTA when I had the machine in Dallas, assuming that I would get the Denver locals via satellite. I think I'll leave the current situation as-is, and I'll just delete the Denver locals off the guide until I get back to Aspen.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Just wondering if this is against D* TOS

Terrible First Impressions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts