2008 MLB All-Star Game

I see both yours and Jimbo's point, but I see the circumstances a bit different.

In last nights situation, the booing and chanting at Papelbon happened during an extra curricula event in which Papelbon was on the SAME team as their Yankees. All players on the AL were vying for the same result. I think that negative reception was different than booing a player on an opposite team in which your playing AGAINST.

It's also being reported that Paplebon's pregenent wife felt threatend during the Red Carpet Parade prior to the game. Now this is what I think Jimbo meant by calling NY fans classless.....

"I feel like I needed to be in a bullet-proof car," Papelbon said, according to the Web site. "My wife is pregnant and she's getting her life threatened. It's stupid."

Be sure to read the Driver's perspective as well.

Obviously threatening someone who is pregnant or not pregnant goes overboard and has no place in sports, or in life. Who knows how closely Papelbon's perception was to reality, but if someone actually threatened him or her I hope they were arrested.

But no, I don't think that's what Jimbo is talking about, he somehow thinks Papelbon shouln't have been booed in NY. And what you said about Papelbon being on the same team is irrelevant. Yes, Yankee fans at the Stadium were hoping for an AL victory for the longshot that is the Yankees making the World Series, and we didn't care who led us to victory. But that doesn't mean we need to cheer every Red Sox player 100% of the time.

We're Yankee fans first.

Sandra

Let's say Mario the God, pitched the ninth and gave up the tying run and then Papelbon came on after wards in extra innings to shut them down and preserve the AL win, not nessasarily a save as the AL had the last at bat, would they still boo him even though it's for the good of everyone in the AL ?

IF and thats a big if at this point, NY manages to make the playoffs and gets to the WS. and DOES NOT have Home Field because of this game, (had the NL won.) I bet your blaming Papelbon for that TOO.

We're Yankee fans first.

Sandra

If I'm a Red Sox fan, Am I suppose to BOO Mariono because he's a Yankee, even though he's on my team for this game, HELL NO... The Yankee fan would cruxify the Red Sox fan if they did that to thier God Mariono.

At least SANDRA would, maybe not ALL Yankee fans would but Sandra would.

See, It's really hard to get along with said Yankee fan when they are as arrogant as some are.

Let's say Mario the God, pitched the ninth and gave up the tying run and then Papelbon came on after wards in extra innings to shut them down and preserve the AL win, not nessasarily a save as the AL had the last at bat, would they still boo him even though it's for the good of everyone in the AL ?

IF and thats a big if at this point, NY manages to make the playoffs and gets to the WS. and DOES NOT have Home Field because of this game, (had the NL won.) I bet your blaming Papelbon for that TOO.

Wow you're animosity toward the Yankees is deafening. Jealous much? ;)

As far as who gets booed, and when they get booed, and why they get booed...who cares? Goodness you're over-analyzing this to the nth power already, it's not that important.

If Papelbon didn't make the remarks he made, it would be a non-issue. In fact, if you go over the incidents between these two teams this one pales in comparison.

Except for non-Yankee or Red Sox fans who think they know our rivalry.

Sandra

If I'm a Red Sox fan, Am I suppose to BOO Mariono because he's a Yankee, even though he's on my team for this game, HELL NO... The Yankee fan would cruxify the Red Sox fan if they did that to thier God Mariono.

At least SANDRA would, maybe not ALL Yankee fans would but Sandra would.

See, It's really hard to get along with said Yankee fan when they are as arrogant as some are.

You just don't get the dynamic between the two teams, and the two sets of fans.

When Mariano was announced at opening day at Fenway a couple of years ago, he was CHEERED by the Red Sox faithful. This was because in the playoffs the prior year Mariano had blown a couple of saves, helping the Red Sox win the series.

This was actually a disparaging cheer, made to mock Mariano. Booing your hated opponent is actually much more respectful.

Rivera, of course, with his typical class, smiled and tipped his hat to the crowd.

Sandra

You just don't get the dynamic between the two teams, and the two sets of fans.

When Mariano was announced at opening day at Fenway a couple of years ago, he was CHEERED by the Red Sox faithful. This was because in the playoffs the prior year Mariano had blown a couple of saves, helping the Red Sox win the series.

This was actually a disparaging cheer, made to mock Mariano. Booing your hated opponent is actually much more respectful.

Rivera, of course, with his typical class, smiled and tipped his hat to the crowd.

Sandra

This is a great,great example, and one quite frankly, that I had forgotten about. As a Red Sox fan I was not happy with the mock cheer they gave Mo. First of all, one of the so called blown saves Rivera was credited with, he came in the game in the bottom of the eighth with the Yankees up a run with the bases loaded and no out...........and proceeded to give up a lousy sacrifice fly to tie the game. Secondly and most importantly, I can't think of a bigger class act in sports today (Joe Torre and Terry Francona are up there as managers) than Mo Rivera. What did he do standing on the third base line as the Fenway crowd showered him with cheers? No surprise at all, he tipped his cap with a huge smile on his face. Again, I was uncomfortable because I thought it showed disrespect to the greatest closer this game has ever seen. If the Fenway crowd booed Mo, then that would have been fine as that's what this rivalry is about. Now, when Rivera (and Jeter) announce their retirement and play their final game in Fenway, the Fenway Faithful better give a standing O (if I'm there I certainly will), and I'm 95% confident that they will.

This is a great,great example, and one quite frankly, that I had forgotten about. As a Red Sox fan I was not happy with the mock cheer they gave Mo. First of all, one of the so called blown saves Rivera was credited with, he came in the game in the bottom of the eighth with the Yankees up a run with the bases loaded and no out...........and proceeded to give up a lousy sacrifice fly to tie the game. Secondly and most importantly, I can't think of a bigger class act in sports today (Joe Torre and Terry Francona are up there as managers) than Mo Rivera. What did he do standing on the third base line as the Fenway crowd showered him with cheers? No surprise at all, he tipped his cap with a huge smile on his face. Again, I was uncomfortable because I thought it showed disrespect to the greatest closer this game has ever seen. If the Fenway crowd booed Mo, then that would have been fine as that's what this rivalry is about. Now, when Rivera (and Jeter) announce their retirement and play their final game in Fenway, the Fenway Faithful better give a standing O (if I'm there I certainly will), and I'm 95% confident that they will.

Is the old man retiring anytime soon ?

Bill,
I just don't see the need to boo a great player, I know it happens, but there is no need for it. As for Sandra saying No one else knows of the rivalry, thats hogwash.

Is the old man retiring anytime soon ?

Bill,
I just don't see the need to boo a great player, I know it happens, but there is no need for it. As for Sandra saying No one else knows of the rivalry, thats hogwash.

Jimbo,
I agree with that, but unfortunately I'd be a hypocrite if I called the Yankees fans out on it. Why? Because it happens at Fenway Park too.

I found this on a blog someone was keeping for the All-Star Game. I thought it was worth sharing:

11:32: Sure to be first ballot Hall of Famer Mariano Rivera strikes out All-Star Ryan Ludwick as All-Star Cristian Guzman is thrown out stealing 2nd for a double play, leaving All-Star Nate McLouth on deck. That sentence is Exhibit A as to why the AL has won this game 12 straight years.

:haha:haha:haha:haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)