2008 MLB Postseason Awards

it would have been nice of at least someone recognized what Big Mike did in leading the Angels to a 100 win season and best record in the AL. Just one vote from someone?

I think it had do with expectations.

95% of baseball fans and people had the Angels winning their division.

Did ANYONE expect Tampa to do what they did?

Very true...and I love Joe Maddon. His years with the Angels make me even more proud of him. I was just being bitchy and picky. One vote for Mike would have been nice.

Last edited:

While I think that's true, why doesn't the reverse hold in the NL? Everyone expected the Cubs to win their division, right? Granted there wasn't quite the surprise team like the Rays there, but it seems to me that Torre or (Charlie) Manuel ended up doing more than expected (neither the Dodgers nor the Phillies were anywhere near concensus picks to win their divisions).

All I have to say is that if Cliff Lee doesn't win the AL Cy Young tomorrow, I will be out on the streets of Cleveland, flipping cars like Philly fans....

OK...but no F-word!!!!;)

Seriously, if Cliffy doesn't get it then there are no Baseball Gods.

Exactly. There is NO WAY that Lee doesn't win the CY.

That was the ONE postseason award that was a given in either league (and Maddon as well).

What about Gold Glove awards?

And most improved player awards?
Gold Glove winners are:

American League

• Pitcher: Mike Mussina, New York Yankees (seventh in career)
  • Catcher: Joe Mauer, Minnesota Twins (first in career)
  • First baseman: Carlos Pena, Tampa Bay Rays (first in career)
  • Second baseman: Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox (first in career)
  • Third baseman: Adrian Beltre, Seattle Mariners (second in career)
  • Shortstop: Michael Young, Texas Rangers (first in career)
  • Outfielders: Torii Hunter, Los Angeles Angels (eighth in career); Grady Sizemore, Cleveland Indians (second in career); Ichiro Suzuki, Seattle Mariners (eighth in career)

National League

• Pitcher: Greg Maddux, Los Angeles Dodgers (18th in career)
  • Catcher: Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals (first in career)
  • First baseman: Adrian Gonzalez, San Diego Padres (first in career)
  • Second baseman: Brandon Phillips, Cincinnati Reds (first in career)
  • Third baseman: David Wright, New York Mets (second in career)
  • Shortstop: Jimmy Rollins, Philadelphia Phillies (second in career)
  • Outfielders: Nate McLouth, Pittsburgh Pirates (first in career); Carlos Beltran, New York Mets (third in career); Shane Victorino, Philadelphia Phillies (first in career)

Gold Glove winners are:

American League

• Pitcher: Mike Mussina, New York Yankees (seventh in career)
  • Catcher: Joe Mauer, Minnesota Twins (first in career)
  • First baseman: Carlos Pena, Tampa Bay Rays (first in career)
  • Second baseman: Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox (first in career)
  • Third baseman: Adrian Beltre, Seattle Mariners (second in career)
  • Shortstop: Michael Young, Texas Rangers (first in career)
  • Outfielders: Torii Hunter, Los Angeles Angels (eighth in career); Grady Sizemore, Cleveland Indians (second in career); Ichiro Suzuki, Seattle Mariners (eighth in career)

National League

• Pitcher: Greg Maddux, Los Angeles Dodgers (18th in career)
  • Catcher: Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals (first in career)
  • First baseman: Adrian Gonzalez, San Diego Padres (first in career)
  • Second baseman: Brandon Phillips, Cincinnati Reds (first in career)
  • Third baseman: David Wright, New York Mets (second in career)
  • Shortstop: Jimmy Rollins, Philadelphia Phillies (second in career)
  • Outfielders: Nate McLouth, Pittsburgh Pirates (first in career); Carlos Beltran, New York Mets (third in career); Shane Victorino, Philadelphia Phillies (first in career)

Thank you DodgerKing. Great accomplishment to all. Those names shouldn't go unrecognized.

On Mike & Mike this morning, they actually said it is going to be a toss-up between Cliffy and Roy Halladay! WTF

Two words- better record.

Cleveland finished at .500- Blue Jays finished above .500.

Two words- better record.

Cleveland finished at .500- Blue Jays finished above .500.

This isn't an MVP award where the nominated player is usually from a winning team. Instead, Cy Young awards have historically been given to the pitcher with the best individual performance. Cliff Lee can't control the games he doesn't pitch.

Cliff Lee:
22-3. 2.54 ERA. Best winning percentage of a 20-game winner since 1978. Cliff Lee was responsible for 27% of the Indians total wins!

Roy Halladay:
20-11. 2.78 ERA.

Sorry. To me it's a no brainier. More wins. Better ERA. Better win percentage. Besides, if there's a horse to finish second in this race, it has to be K-Rod, simply for shattering the single season saves record.

I don't trust Wikipedia. I wait for SportsCenter/ESPNews to announce it.
Actually, Major League Baseball announces the awards, but it looks like some other "journalists" at ESPN have made their picks too:

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3697520"]2008 MLB Awards: AL Cy Young Award - ESPN[/ame]

This isn't an MVP award where the nominated player is usually from a winning team. Instead, Cy Young awards have historically been given to the pitcher with the best individual performance. Cliff Lee can't control the games he doesn't pitch.

Cliff Lee:
22-3. 2.54 ERA. Best winning percentage of a 20-game winner since 1978. Cliff Lee was responsible for 27% of the Indians total wins!

Roy Halladay:
20-11. 2.78 ERA.

Sorry. To me it's a no brainier. More wins. Better ERA. Better win percentage. Besides, if there's a horse to finish second in this race, it has to be K-Rod, simply for shattering the single season saves record.

:up I seriously doubt this will even be close. Lee by a landslide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts