2008 MLB Postseason Awards

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Today's the first day that the MLB postseason awards are handed out.

The AL and NL Rookies of the Year were announced today, and to the surprise of nobody, Evan Longoria and Geovany Soto won.

Longoria is AL Rookie of Year, Soto wins NL award - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Here's the schedule:

2008-09 Major League Baseball Calendar - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Nov. 11- NL Cy Young Award announced

Nov. 12- AL and NL Manager of the Year awards announced

Nov. 13- AL Cy Young Award announced

Nov. 17 - NL Most Valuable Player award announced

Nov. 18- AL Most Valuable Player award announced

While Cliff Lee is a lock to win the AL Cy Young, the NL, OTOH, is a toss-up. It could go to anyone.

Just didn't know if Sabres was creating this thread to chronicle ALL of the postseason awards or just the big ones not yet given out yet

This is for Rookie Of the Year, Cy Young, Manager of Year, and league MVP's.

:confused: Gold Gloves are postseason awards too, aren't they??

Except, gold gloves are given out normally to players that have a good year regardless, not strictly for the D work.
Many players have got them year in and year out regardless if there are others that had better years.

Ozzie Smith won it for 73 years straight when there were other SS that were as good or better in any particular year.
Cal Ripken Jr. too.

Am I the only who thinks that this talk about Pujols over Ryan Howard for N.L. MVP just because he has better percentages is ridiculous.

Who cares about percentages. It's about hitting the ball, not having some silly percentages.

IMO, On-base percentage is a ridiculous stat. Just because you're on base 70% of the time doesn't mean you'll score 90% of the time.

Am I the only who thinks that this talk about Pujols over Ryan Howard for N.L. MVP just because he has better percentages is ridiculous.

Who cares about percentages. It's about hitting the ball, not having some silly percentages.

IMO, On-base percentage is a ridiculous stat. Just because you're on base 70% of the time doesn't mean you'll score 90% of the time.
True, but conversely, you can't score unless you get on base. The more you can get on base, the more runs you can possibly score.

Like the lottery ad says, "You can't win if you don't play"...

Votto should have won ROY. See my rant in the stand alone thread.

Personally, I'm starting to think that On Base Percentage is MORE important that Batting Avg., just can't get myself use to the correlation, use to .300 being the standard.

Jimbo

AL and NL Manager of the Year

AL - Joe Maddon, Tampa Bay
NL - Lou Piniella, Chicago

I will agree with both choices and congratulate both men.

However, if I can be a "homer" for a moment. With Lou getting it and having the most wins in the NL, it would have been nice of at least someone recognized what Big Mike did in leading the Angels to a 100 win season and best record in the AL. Just one vote from someone? :shh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)