2008 MLB Postseason Awards

MLB needs one more award, something along the lines of the Cy Young award for hitting. Pujols would have been my choice for that, along with Andre Dawson's MVP award. I do believe that the MVP should go to a player whose team at least made the playoffs, but Pujol's numbers were outstanding, so there should be an award for that.

ESPN - St. Louis Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols wins Most Valuable Player award

Ryan Howard got SCREWED!

I don't care if Pujols is a "great pure hitter."

When you fail to take your team to the playoffs, you don't deserve the award.

Remember, Howard carried the Phillies on his back in September while Pujols dd nothing in the final month.

I can't give the league MVP to a guy on a team that finished FOURTH IN HIS OWN DIVISION!

Ah, the ultimate question. Should Howard be the beneficiary of being on a better team than Pujols? If the players swapped teams, would the stats differ or be the same?

For this reason, you have to give the award to the better player, regardless of record. 1 single player, especially in Baseball, can't effect the team that much. And they shouldn't get the award because they were simply a beneficiary of playing on a better team either.

Ah, the ultimate question. Should Howard be the beneficiary of being on a better team than Pujols? If the players swapped teams, would the stats differ or be the same?

For this reason, you have to give the award to the better player, regardless of record. 1 single player, especially in Baseball, can't effect the team that much. And they shouldn't get the award because they were simply a beneficiary of playing on a better team either.

Manny and CC may beg to differ. Tell me they didn't alter their team's fortunes once they got to the NL.

[/b]

Manny and CC may beg to differ. Tell me they didn't alter their team's fortunes once they got to the NL.

Like I said, this is the ultimate debate.

But in the two particular cases you mention, sure 1 player can effect a team who is on the verge of the playoffs. Take a team who is not on the verge of the playoffs (Ie Pirates, Orioles, Nationals, etc) and 1 single player isn't going to change their fortunes. Hell, trade Manny and Sabathia to the Pirates and they still won't make the playoffs.

MLB needs one more award, something along the lines of the Cy Young award for hitting. Pujols would have been my choice for that, along with Andre Dawson's MVP award. I do believe that the MVP should go to a player whose team at least made the playoffs, but Pujol's numbers were outstanding, so there should be an award for that.
That's what the previously mentioned Silver Slugger awards are for:

The Silver Slugger is awarded annually to the best offensive player at each fielding position in each major league in baseball

Oops, Ryan Howard didn't get that either... :p

The Silver Slugger award does not address who the "best of the best" was, like the Cy Young award does.
True, but it is an award for offensive accomplishments, only broken down by position.

As for the Cy Young, what about the years that relievers have won the award?? There were always arguments that it should always go to the best starter.

Anyhow, these arguments will happen every year there isn't a clear-cut statistical advantage for a given player....

I am a rabid Phillies fan. Ryan Howard is one of my all time favorites, but.... I cannot get upset about Pujols winning the MVP award. If memory serves he got the same treatment as Howard two years ago. Phillies did not make playoffs, Cards won it all. Either one was deserving of the award. There is always next year for Utley. Just my not so humble opinion.

Why change the rules? Last time I read them it doesn't mention the record or place the team comes in, in order to be eligible for these awards.

St. Louis had a better record this year than Philly had in 2006 when Howard won the MVP and the Phils did not get in the playoffs that year.

KCK, your thoughts on the NL MVP?

IMO, Ryan Howard got hosed.

Thanks for asking....tough call. Both are excellent choices and deserving of the award. I have never been one to believe that it must go to the WS winning team...or even a winning team. It should go to the one player whose presence made the most impact on his team.

All I know is that it had better be KRod tomorrow or I am gonna be doing more damage than these wildfires out here!!!!

Yes, but these are awards mostly to promote the sponsor, not the player. They are not (IMHO) real TROPHIES like R.O.Y. and M.V.P. etc.
That is your opinion, but I'm sure the many past and future HOF players who have earned the award are proud of it, especially because the award is statistically based. You can't claim someone won because of their name, or past performance, like you can with some of the other voting awards...

Three points for each save
One additional point for each "tough" save
Two points for each win
Two points deducted for each loss or "blown save"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)