2008 World Series.......Phillies vs. Rays

Thank God, I don't have to hear the Rocky theme anymore. Did you notice that FOX just ended there broadcast. Usually they have a video package with the names of all the people who work with Fox Sports.

I will say that Jimmy Rollins brought up a great point. He told Jenks? when he hit the double that "It's not the bottom of the first, it's the bottom of the sixth, so act like it".
I think that's good leadership. The Mets should follow that trait. That's what you want. If the Mets want to dance and celebrate, let them, but you'd better back that up. The Phillies can back it up and the Mets can't which is why the Phillies are World Series Champions and the Mets have been golfing for 3 weeks.

Thus ends one of the most interesting baseball seasons in years.

No steroids, fewer homers, an interesting All-Star Game, no Clemens, no Bonds, no Yankees or Cardinals in the playoffs.

Could the fact that the game finished in prime time in the East and Midwest have anything to do
with the ratings? What a concept, a WS game that ends before most folks in the East are in bed.
Who'd a thunk it?

Could the fact that the game finished in prime time in the East and Midwest have anything to do
with the ratings? What a concept, a WS game that ends before most folks in the East are in bed.
Who'd a thunk it?

I don't know, but I hope that's how they see it. My kid is 8, and he didn't get to watch much at all.

With all due respect to our friends in the Pacific Time Zone, the majority of people live in the East. If MLB wants casual fans to boost the ratings, they're going to HAVE to put it on so people can see the END of games.

I don't know, but I hope that's how they see it. My kid is 8, and he didn't get to watch much at all.

That part I highlighted says it all!! :up

Brain, we can only hope that the dimwits that set these times finally get it! :mad:

I hope so and I mean what's the big deal. At least try starting the games earlier and/or the afternoon and see how it does. I think they need to shake it up and that's the best way.

It beats what I saw on the one of the threads before at least I think it was on this site about how maybe the World Series should be at a neutral site which would be obviously awful.

I hope so and I mean what's the big deal. At least try starting the games earlier and/or the afternoon and see how it does. I think they need to shake it up and that's the best way.

It beats what I saw on the one of the threads before at least I think it was on this site about how maybe the World Series should be at a neutral site which would be obviously awful.
The big deal is the $$$ Chevy forked out to sponsor the pre game show and the $$$ Budweiser spent to sponsor the first pitch. Granted neither of these things are must see TV, but MLB likes the $$$ that big corporate sponsors offer. Move the start times up too much and there goes the $$$.

Frankly the Rays wouldn't have been in the WS were it not for that $$$. TB is like a welfare recipiant. They get subsidized through the national TV contracts MLB has and they receive luxury tax payments from rich teams like the Yankees and Red Sox. Move those start times up and TB may have to pull a Florida Marlins like fire sale.

Frankly the Rays wouldn't have been in the WS were it not for that $$$. TB is like a welfare recipiant. They get subsidized through the national TV contracts MLB has and they receive luxury tax payments from rich teams like the Yankees and Red Sox.

Just to clarify on this oft misreported item: there is revenue sharing in baseball, but it is based on TV and ticket sale revenue for teams. The "luxury tax" on high payrolls that the Yankees pay does not go to other teams -- luxury tax money is used for player benefits (50%), the industry growth fund (25%), and developing players in countries lacking organized high school baseball (25%).

When you play in cold-weather sites in late October, the quality of play is diminished when you play at such late hours because of the temperature. That to me is the most important part of this whole argument.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)