2009 MLB Playoffs

Interesting twists of fate...

Chasing history

Only 11 times has a team trailed a best-of-seven series by a 3-1 margin and come back to win the series.

The team to most recently do so was the Boston Red Sox, who overturned a 3-1 deficit against the Cleveland Indians in 2007 and the New York Yankees in 2004.

Manny Ramirez played for both of those Red Sox teams. Casey Blake was on the 2007 Indians.

Chasing history

Only 11 times has a team trailed a best-of-seven series by a 3-1 margin and come back to win the series.

The team to most recently do so was the Boston Red Sox, who overturned a 3-1 deficit against the Cleveland Indians in 2007 and the New York Yankees in 2004.

Manny Ramirez played for both of those Red Sox teams. Casey Blake was on the 2007 Indians.

Manny was also on the '03 Red Sox team that came back from 0-2 in the ALDS against the A's.

Manny was on the losing end on one of those comebacks also: his '99 Indians blew a 2-0 lead against the Red Sox in the ALDS.

It's hard to believe how different the sports world was the last time the Angels and Yankees met in the playoffs.

Consider these things from October 2005:

The following athletes were still playing on Boston-area sports teams- Joe Thornton, Johnny Damon, and Adam Vinatieri.

USC was on a 20+ game winning streak, with Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush looking like all-world superstars.

Vincy Young was the quarterback of Texas, who was also playing like he was on another level.

Brett Favre was still a Packer:D

My, how times have changed since.

WTF, video removed by user? hmmm....

I don't know or wonder too much about the "spit ball", but I did think last night about Rivera and reputation - just like Pettitte and reputation earlier in the game wondering if Layne would call the rulebook balk if Pettitte ever got there or just let it go because of Pettitte's reputation, instead of being strict rulebook like the "neighborhood play" the previous game.

I'd love to see a lot of Questec results from when Rivera pitches to see if he gets a lot of strike calls on the cutter due to reputation or if he actually (by questec analysis) gets the edges of plates with his cutter on a regular basis.

TONIGHT'S LINEUP AT BEAUTIFUL ANGEL STADIUM

YANKEES
Derek Jeter, ss
Johnny Damon, lf
Mark Teixeira, 1b
Alex Rodriguez, 3b
Jorge Posada, c
Hideki Matsui, dh
Robinson Cano, 2b
Nick Swisher, rf
Melky Cabrera, cf
CC Sabathia, p

ANGELS
Chone Figgins, 3b
Bobby Abreu, rf
Torii Hunter, cf
Vladimir Guerrero, dh
Juan Rivera, lf
Howie Kendrick, 2b
Kendry Morales, 1b
Mike Napoli, c
Erick Aybar, ss
Scott Kazmir, p This is "DO OR DIE" tonight for Kazmir the alleged Yankee/Red Sox killer. He was unimpressive last time out!

I'm off to the game! Enjoy, all!:D

Angels may have a chance against a not so rested CC. If Kazmir can hold the Yankee offense down, which he has done in his career, the Angels have a very good chance of tying this series at 2-2.

So far, the big man looks domininant pitching on three day's rest.

The Yankees have something cooking in the fourth...................

Umps blow 2 different calls in the 4th. They cancel each other out so no real damage done, but these umps are looking shaky. Isn't there instant replay in baseball now?

Umps blow 2 different calls in the 4th. They cancel each other out so no real damage done, but these umps are looking shaky. Isn't there instant replay in baseball now?

I was just about to post the same thing.

I mean, the umpiring has SUCKED this whole postseason! :mad:

Like you said, the calls cancelled each other out. But these are the biggest games of the year, and these clowns are doing their best to make a mockery of it!

As far as instant replay goes, it's ONLY for disputed homerun calls.

As far as instant replay goes, it's ONLY for disputed homerun calls.
How stupid. The play the other night where Teixera got pulled off the bag would have been perfect for a review. Of course at the rate these guys are going it's only a matter of time before they blow a HR call too. :rolleyes:

Wake up Bud! I want to see the red flag come flying out of the dugout.

A-Rod did it again.

He is on FIRE these playoffs!
Mr. October. Of course given what we now know about him I think it should be mandatory that A Rod be given a drug test now. This is what Manny was doing for the Dodgers last year, and we know what was going on there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)