2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs

I don't get this. They stretch the earlier rounds out over what seems to be forever, and now they're going to play this entire series in 8 days? (IF, it goes 7 games). Sunday's game will be interesting if Saturday's goes 2 or 3 OT's.

I don't get this. They stretch the earlier rounds out over what seems to be forever, and now they're going to play this entire series in 8 days? (IF, it goes 7 games). Sunday's game will be interesting if Saturday's goes 2 or 3 OT's.

The schedule is set not by the NHL but by the TV networks.
NBC wanted the games to be on in the evening so they are.

Hi folks. Haven't been on these forums for a while, but figured I'd check back in on the eve of a very inciting matchup.

Now I'm obviously biased, but I'm going to say Penguins in 6. Last year, the Red Wings had all the experience over a young team that breezed its way into the Cup Final. Now, the Wings are facing practically the same team but one that has gone through two emotional series with traditional rivals before dealing with the Hurricanes in business-like fashion. Not only that, but the Penguins actually have a representative from three of the four past champions, including Ruslan Fedotenko. If you look up "playoff experience" in the hockey encyclopedia you'll find 'Tenko's picture. The man, after all, scored 2 goals in Game 7 of the 2004 Final, and the Lightning needed both of them, because they won the game 2-1. The young core of this team in Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and Fleury may not have even hit their peak yet, and grizzled vet Bill Guerin has been stellar on Crosby's wing.

You can't however, count out the defending Stanley Cup Champions, especially when they have virtually the same team as last year plus Marian Hossa. But the Red Wings have key players in Lidstrom and Datsyuk nicked up. The Penguins, meanwhile, are healthy, so it's obvious who the Final's schedule benefits.

But I think there are two key things to look at in this series that will overall decide the victor:

1. The battle in front of the net. Simply put, whoever has the more consistent presence down low on both sides of the ice will win. The Red Wings score most of their goals off of rebounds and deflections and seldom let other teams get second chances on Osgood, and that's if they let the first shot through at all, seeing how they are excellent at shot blocking. If the Penguins are to win the series, they need to muscle in, and steal the territory the Red Wings typically own.

2. Dan Bylsma is going to have to do something his predecessor Michel Therrien and practically every other coach in the NHL can't do: Outcoach Mike Babcock. But he may have the means to do it. Ever since defenceman/powerplay quarterback Sergei Gonchar came back from the knee-on-knee hit by Ovechkin, Bylsma has been playing 7 defensemen and 11 forwards as an insurance policy, which also means that he has been double-shifting Crosby, Malkin, and Staal. This adds an element of surprise as Babcock won't know exactly who will be playing on the fourth line. Staal is relatively harmless on offense, making up for it with his strong defensive play, but I don't need to talk about the scoring threat Crosby and Malkin both pose. Even if Bylsma switches back to the traditional 12 forward, 6 D lineup, this double shifting practice MUST continue.

Imagine what would happen if Crosby came out with the forth line against Chris Chelios' defensive pairing. It wouldn't be pretty for the men in red. Bylsma's definitely the underdog in the coaching matchup, as he's only been coaching in the NHL since February. But we'll see what happens shall we?

One thing you'll notice is that every professional, college, and even high school sports team has their fair share of idiot fans, especially on the internet, although they are likely only the vocal minority. But luckily, all the people who post here are intelligent on both sides of this upcoming series.

I look forward to the back and forth.

I plan on it Bill. It was just a bit hard to keep up with the boards during this thing called college, but since I'm off until mid-August, I'll have time to be on here a lot more.

I plan on it Bill. It was just a bit hard to keep up with the boards during this thing called college, but since I'm off until mid-August, I'll have time to be on here a lot more.

Good to hear, welcome back! :up

Are you still aspiring to get into broadcasting? The medium sure could use you! :)

The schedule is set not by the NHL but by the TV networks.
NBC wanted the games to be on in the evening so they are.

And that if BULL ....

You pace yourself and get acclimated to playing every other day in the NHL playoffs, then suddenly the stupid networks decide other wise ....
Can't wait till the Finals are no longer on NBC.

Hi folks. Haven't been on these forums for a while, but figured I'd check back in on the eve of a very inciting matchup.

Now I'm obviously biased, but I'm going to say Penguins in 6. Last year, the Red Wings had all the experience over a young team that breezed its way into the Cup Final. Now, the Wings are facing practically the same team but one that has gone through two emotional series with traditional rivals before dealing with the Hurricanes in business-like fashion. Not only that, but the Penguins actually have a representative from three of the four past champions, including Ruslan Fedotenko. If you look up "playoff experience" in the hockey encyclopedia you'll find 'Tenko's picture. The man, after all, scored 2 goals in Game 7 of the 2004 Final, and the Lightning needed both of them, because they won the game 2-1. The young core of this team in Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and Fleury may not have even hit their peak yet, and grizzled vet Bill Guerin has been stellar on Crosby's wing.

You can't however, count out the defending Stanley Cup Champions, especially when they have virtually the same team as last year plus Marian Hossa. But the Red Wings have key players in Lidstrom and Datsyuk nicked up. The Penguins, meanwhile, are healthy, so it's obvious who the Final's schedule benefits.

But I think there are two key things to look at in this series that will overall decide the victor:

1. The battle in front of the net. Simply put, whoever has the more consistent presence down low on both sides of the ice will win. The Red Wings score most of their goals off of rebounds and deflections and seldom let other teams get second chances on Osgood, and that's if they let the first shot through at all, seeing how they are excellent at shot blocking. If the Penguins are to win the series, they need to muscle in, and steal the territory the Red Wings typically own.

2. Dan Bylsma is going to have to do something his predecessor Michel Therrien and practically every other coach in the NHL can't do: Outcoach Mike Babcock. But he may have the means to do it. Ever since defenceman/powerplay quarterback Sergei Gonchar came back from the knee-on-knee hit by Ovechkin, Bylsma has been playing 7 defensemen and 11 forwards as an insurance policy, which also means that he has been double-shifting Crosby, Malkin, and Staal. This adds an element of surprise as Babcock won't know exactly who will be playing on the fourth line. Staal is relatively harmless on offense, making up for it with his strong defensive play, but I don't need to talk about the scoring threat Crosby and Malkin both pose. Even if Bylsma switches back to the traditional 12 forward, 6 D lineup, this double shifting practice MUST continue.

Imagine what would happen if Crosby came out with the forth line against Chris Chelios' defensive pairing. It wouldn't be pretty for the men in red. Bylsma's definitely the underdog in the coaching matchup, as he's only been coaching in the NHL since February. But we'll see what happens shall we?

One thing you'll notice is that every professional, college, and even high school sports team has their fair share of idiot fans, especially on the internet, although they are likely only the vocal minority. But luckily, all the people who post here are intelligent on both sides of this upcoming series.

Excellent post :up:up:up

I'm sure Lindstrom (if healthy ) will be out there when Crosby's line is out there.
Let see if Crosby knows where he's at if Kronwell gets him lined up. :)

Jimbo

That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out analysis...Overruled! :rolleyes:

Seriously, great post! As a Red Wings fan I am certainly biased, but I try my best to be objective. There is a lot to be said about intangibles, but the one thing many experts are overlooking is how this "feels" going into this series. Although it is impossible to quantify or qualify a "guy feeling", it has been my observation that this year "feels" just like the Wings past four visits to the Stanley Cup finals - 4 visits, 4 Cups, and a combined 16-3 record. People can argue about the matchups on paper all they wish, but come game time I have a "feeling" the Wings will once again do whatever is needed to take care of business on the ice and earn another Stanley Cup.

How do I see the series going:

With the short break and back-to-back games, the teams split Games 1 & 2. Likewise, the teams split the next two back at Pittsburgh. The Wings then win the next two as their unique mix of skill, experience, depth and key role players proves to be too much for the almost-but-not-quite-enough Penguins. In any case, this should be a real humdinger of a Stanley Cup final... :) I expect that Wings and Penguins fans will spend many hours on the edge of their seats!:clap

Excellent post :up:up:up

I'm sure Lindstrom (if healthy ) will be out there when Crosby's line is out there.
Let see if Crosby knows where he's at if Kronwell gets him lined up. :)

Jimbo
The Wings can beat you so many ways and they can adjust their style of play to exploit the other teams weaknesses. Overall, I wish their defense was a little better during the regular season, but they (along with Ozzie) have stepped-up play during the playoffs.

And that if BULL ....

You pace yourself and get acclimated to playing every other day in the NHL playoffs, then suddenly the stupid networks decide other wise ....
Can't wait till the Finals are no longer on NBC.
Yeah, it suck but the alternative is to put the players and fans on ice for nine full days, which is even worse. Anyway, true champions overcome adversity so I expecting the Wings will adapt and overcome.

Yep, I don't know what the statistics are like, but it seems like most back-to-back games are a split and any home ice advantage is tossed out the window.

Jim, I don't know about you, but right now.....(and I don't mean to sound like I am on Sesame Street).....but the only important number for me is .....THE NUMBER 12 :D:D

edit
** for those non-wings people who have asked.....last year was our 11th Stanley Cup win since 1936** ....get it ?

Last edited:
All you Penguin fans are making a big deal about your newly found Stanley Cup experience. Well guess what, the Red Wings have more Stanley Cup experience. Further more, our experience includes experiencing VICTORY!

Saw this in the paper today - "Anybody remember Malkin in the finals last year? Neither did I.":D

Jim, I don't know about you, but right now.....(and I don't mean to sound like I am on Sesame Street).....but the only important number for me is .....THE NUMBER 12 :D:D

edit
** for those non-wings people who have asked.....last year was our 11th Stanley Cup win since 1936** ....get it ?
I am a little slow this today (no coffee this morning) because it took me 20-minutes to figure out the value of the number 12. DOH!!! :eek:

Anyway, we're taking the dogs to the vets shortly and I plan to take my daughter to see Up! this afternoon. I hope to see everyone back here for Game 1 discussions...

All you Penguin fans are making a big deal about your newly found Stanley Cup experience. Well guess what, the Red Wings have more Stanley Cup experience. Further more, our experience includes experiencing VICTORY!

Saw this in the paper today - "Anybody remember Malkin in the finals last year? Neither did I.":D

So with the Lions you expect losing?:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)