2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs

I got to thinking when this happened ...
The puck is ON another's back, does the other teams guys hit the guy with the stick intentionally to try to score ?
It sounds ruthless and dangerous, but I suppose it would happen if the oppertunity presented itself.

They probably would use the stick, since they are technically attempting to play the puck, dangerous as it may be.

Also, do you really think the Pens were not fully aware of the springy boards going in ? They had the opportunity to practice yesterday at the Joe and did not.
I'm sure they were, but they didn't try to exploit them much if at all.

I got to thinking when this happened ...
The puck is ON another's back, does the other teams guys hit the guy with the stick intentionally to try to score ?
It sounds ruthless and dangerous, but I suppose it would happen if the opportunity presented itself.
Whenever in doubt, just look to the movie Happy Gilmore for all the answers. As you may recall, Shooter McGavin was required to play his shot off of "Frankenstein's fat foot". Likewise, Happy had to make his winning putt on the 18th green (after the television tower was brought down by the VW used to run him over earlier that day) through a couple tons of aluminum. Play it where is lies!

Whenever in doubt, just look to the movie Happy Gilmore for all the answers. As you may recall, Shooter McGavin was required to play his shot off of "Frankenstein's fat foot". Likewise, Happy had to make his winning putt on the 18th green (after the television tower was brought down by the VW used to run him over earlier that day) throught a couple tons of aluminum. Play it where is lies!

LOVE that movie! :)

Interesting Stat I just found on ESPN.com

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4218472&name=09cupplayoffsblog"]Moved Temporarily[/ame]

"The Red Wings have history on their side. Teams that have won Game 1 of the Cup finals have gone on to capture the Cup in 54 of the 69 seasons since the league introduced the best-of-seven format in 1939. For the mathematically challenged (like me), that's a 78-percent success rate. That's a pretty significant number. All is not lost for the Penguins. In 1991, the Pens dropped Game 1 to the Minnesota North Stars before rallying to win the series."

Source

"The Red Wings have history on their side. Teams that have won Game 1 of the Cup finals have gone on to capture the Cup in 54 of the 69 seasons since the league introduced the best-of-seven format in 1939. For the mathematically challenged (like me), that's a 78-percent success rate. That's a pretty significant number. All is not lost for the Penguins. In 1991, the Pens dropped Game 1 to the Minnesota North Stars before rallying to win the series."

Tonight was the night I figured the Pens had the best opportunity to win at the Joe, with the Wings battered and shorthanded.

I thought the game had really good flow to it most of the night, I bet the NHL is happy about that. :)
It was a huge help that Linstrom and Ericsson came back (both Defensemen).
If they get Draper, (huge faceoff guy) although the Wings won the faceoffs about 60-70% tonight, I don't expect that to happen in Pittsburgh.
Wings had great difficulty winning the draws in Anehiem as well.
And Datsuk coming back can only help them overall, he's gret in both ends of the ice.

Jimbo

Not a peep from our Penguin fans here. Maybe I should speak for them.

"Your Red Wings are the luckiest jerks on the planet. Pucks bouncing off of secret springs in the boards, magnets that hold pucks on Ozzie's back! Your players are looking menacingly at Crosby, they even hit him a few times - and no penalties?" :mad:

"You guys are in big trouble - we managed to score one, and it isn't even game three yet."

"Your Red Wings are the luckiest jerks on the planet. Pucks bouncing off of secret springs in the boards, magnets that hold pucks on Ozzie's back! Your players are looking menacingly at Crosby, they even hit him a few times - and no penalties?" :mad:

"You guys are in big trouble - we managed to score one, and it isn't even game three yet."

Detroit played a good game, it's only game 1.

Local TV station

I bet that all you guys & gals got to see the whole picture on your TV but here in Cincinnati WLWT went to a weather alert that took up most of the screen the game was in a PIP type of display and we got NO sound for the game.
This went on from the middle of the first period until about 10 mins into the third period.
I was pulling my hair out, what little of it I have.

Pittsburgh love

In Mike Babcock's press conference he said that if you had only listened to the commercials during the year you would have believed that the Pens had won the cup last year.

Dumb announcer

I was watching the run up to last nights game on the NHL Network's NHL on the Fly and they were talking about Osgood and the guy in the middle, I did not catch his name, said that Osgood had nothing to do with the Wings win last year.
I wounder what cave he has been living in.

Ozzie has never gotten the respect that he is due. His numbers say that he is among the best in playoff history. He is currently 8th all-time in wins. When it's all said and done, he should be in the HOF. He was incredible again yesterday. A clutch player in the playoffs, year after year. At least the fans in Detroit know it.

In Mike Babcock's press conference he said that if you had only listened to the commercials during the year you would have believed that the Pens had won the cup last year.

I agree....The NHL wants some multiple cups for Mr. crosby

Um.....

risnuff said:
The Wings did a very nice job in their own end at keeping the puck contained to the boards. The Pens didn't get very many good scoring chances, and when they did, Osgood made the save. Very unlucky for the Pens though that the puck landed on Osgood's back and stayed on him in the third, but as has been discussed, it was all about the bounces. I expect the Pens to attempt to use the springy boards to their benefit tomorrow.

Next game in less than 24 hours. We're about to find out who the short break will really benefit.

Addendum to that: Fleury needs to realize the boards are lively and be in better position. The boards had a lot to do with the first two goals, and on the third, Staal was right near the puck but lost track of where it was, leading to freaking Justin Abdelkader of all people scoring.

I've got a feeling this is going to be a long series. The Red Wings played better overall in game 1 and capitalized on opportunities the way all good teams do, but didn't convince me that they're a significantly better team than the Penguins, which they certainly were last year.