2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs

That is why it requires ESPN and/or a much more visible, nightly game-airing NHL network!
ESPN and other OTA networks have tried before. The ratings generated by a rare Game 7 of the Stanley Cup do not make up for the dismal ratings (and revenue loses) suffered the rest of the year, where Bowling has more viewers.

Update on The Cup: Pics.......

Pens party at Mario's Estate. No wonder The Kid won't move out!!!....

504x_mariocup2.jpg

The Cup Floats!.....

504x_marioparty1.jpg

The Penguins championship makes Pittsburgh the fourth city this decade to concurrently hold championships in two sports.

In '02 both the Lakers and Angels won championships.

The '04 Red Sox were sandwiched in between the '03 and '04 Patriots.

The '07 Red Sox won the World Series and still held the title when the '08 Celtics won the NBA Title.

The Penguins championship makes Pittsburgh the fourth city this decade to concurrently hold championships in two sports.

The '07 Red Sox won the World Series and still held the title when the '08 Celtics won the NBA Title.

I'll take that but you'd have a lot of complaints with that '02 statement. Technically in'02 they were the ANAHEIM Angels. The name has since changed from that Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim to now just the Los Angeles Angels.

That said, it gives L.A. TWO more chances this year to do this. :up

(FYI, 1988 was the last time the Dodgers and Lakers made it all the way together).

Last edited:

I'll take that but you'd have a lot of complaints with that '02 statement. Technically in'02 they were the ANAHEIM Angels. The name has since changed from that Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim to now just the Los Angels Angels.

(FYI, 1988 was the last time the Dodgers and Lakers made it all the way together).

The Mighty Ducks nearly made it three titles in 2003- getting to game 7 of the Cup Finals (of course, the Ducks healed those wounds with their Cup win four years later).

I'll take that but you'd have a lot of complaints with that '02 statement. Technically in'02 they were the ANAHEIM Angels. The name has since changed from that Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim to now just the Los Angels Angels.

I got that stat from ESPN, but I hear what you're saying.

I think maybe a better way to term it would be "market" instead of "city", because technically the Patriots don't play in Boston either.

I got that stat from ESPN, but I hear what you're saying.

I think maybe a better way to term it would be "market" instead of "city", because technically the Patriots don't play in Boston either.

Bill,

Not to be a smarty about it...as I said I'll gladly take it. But there is a BIG rift between L.A. and Anaheim known as "The Orange Curtain". This new name is still not going over well in the O.C. (But at least the silly two city name is gone for good!)

I doubt you guys in New England have any of that to deal with. Your proud of all of your teams and consider them "Boston" first.

Bill,

Not to be a smarty about it...as I said I'll gladly take it. But there is a BIG rift between L.A. and Anaheim known as "The Orange Curtain". This new name is still not going over well in the O.C. (But at least the silly two city name is gone for good!)

Believe it or not, I still call them the "California" Angels frequently. :eek:

I doubt you guys in New England have any of that to deal with. Your proud of all of your teams and consider them "Boston" first.

Foxboro is actually right in the middle of Boston and Providence, but your point is well taken. :up

Yet Pittsburgh is the ONLY city to EVER hold both the Stanley Cup and the Vince Lomardi Trophy at the same time.

Believe it or not, I still call them the "California" Angels frequently. :eek:

Foxboro is actually right in the middle of Boston and Providence, but your point is well taken. :up

I do to. I called the Raiders the Oakland Raiders the whole time they were in LA. By time they moved back to Oakland, I was finally calling them the LA Raiders. Took me a couple of seasons after to get that one right. I still occasionally call the Colts, the Baltimore Colts.

I do to. I called the Raiders the Oakland Raiders the whole time they were in LA. By time they moved back to Oakland, I was finally calling them the LA Raiders. Took me a couple of seasons after to get that one right. I still occasionally call the Colts, the Baltimore Colts.

I still call the Browns "Losers".;):D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)