2010-11 NHL Hockey Season

Judging by what he said last night, as well as his disdain for high-scoring games, I think that for Jimbo, the perfect hockey game would be one where nobody scores.

Newsflash- hockey is becoming a space-age game, yet you sound like a guy stuck in the days of stone age hockey.

Get with the times.

Nobody else wants to go back to the days of clutching, grabbing, trapping, boring muckfests that only you guys love.

I love post-lockout hockey- it's FUN, it's EXCITING, it's ENTERTAINING!

Jimbo's comments sounds like a guy who refuses to buy a color TV and won't part ways with a black-and-white one.

I have MORE electronics and TV that I care to list, guess what , they are ALL COLOR the main ones are Plasma's, I do have a tube type TV still, a 34" Sony HD , great picture, but not as good as the Pioneer Elites.

You probably want to take fighting and checking out of the game too, don't you.

Let's make it so no one can touch one another, that way we'll have free movement and much more scoring.

Shoot-out: El Stinko

The last time I checked there have been no hockey games played in outer-space. :p Seriously, I love a good offensive game...and I prefer watching when it involves the Wings lighting-up the back-of-the-net while still playing solid defense. I also love an "old school" game where the refs let the players hit-hard and hit-often....and I also appreciate a tight-checking game with great goaltending (fundamentally sound hockey). Regardless, I do not the like the shoot-out in any form or fashion - most real hockey fans would agree. The shoot-out wasn't around when the Montreal Wanderers defeated the Winnipeg Maple Leafs; the shoot-out wasn't around when Gordie Howe and Rocket Richard dominated the ice; and it wasn't around when Wayne Gretzky thrilled millions with his extraordinary abilities. Shoot-out? Shoot-out my eye!

Hockey fans don't like people pissing in our hockey just because some casual fans like seeing the pretty light go off. Of course, I'm sure these same fans would love to see the players pumped-up on steroids...playing without goalies...and playing with a dozen pucks and a half-dozen nets. If this is space-age hockey, then I want nothing to do with it...not on this planet.

Now, if the NHL wants to "improve the action" while maintaining the the sanctity of the game...they'll drastically downsize the elephant-sized pads and equipment being dawned by NHL goalies. That's my two-cents on the subject.

The last time I checked there have been no hockey games played in outer-space. :p Seriously, I love a good offensive game...and I prefer watching when it involves the Wings lighting-up the back-of-the-net while still playing solid defense. I also love an "old school" game where the refs let the players hit-hard and hit-often....and I also appreciate a tight-checking game with great goaltending (fundamentally sound hockey). Regardless, I do not the like the shoot-out in any form or fashion - most real hockey fans would agree. The shoot-out wasn't around when the Montreal Wanderers defeated the Winnipeg Maple Leafs; the shoot-out wasn't around when Gordie Howe and Rocket Richard dominated the ice; and it wasn't around when Wayne Gretzky thrilled millions with his extraordinary abilities. Shoot-out? Shoot-out my eye!

Hockey fans don't like people pissing in our hockey just because some casual fans like seeing the pretty light go off. Of course, I'm sure these same fans would love to see the players pumped-up on steroids...playing without goalies...and playing with a dozen pucks and a half-dozen nets. If this is space-age hockey, then I want nothing to do with it...not on this planet.

Now, if the NHL wants to "improve the action" while maintaining the the sanctity of the game...they'll drastically downsize the elephant-sized pads and equipment being dawned by NHL goalies. That's my two-cents on the subject.

They've talked about this for ages as well as the goalie's sweaters.

With the demise of my Canadian satellite broker, there will be no more hockey on the tube.
Sorry to miss the development of teams like Edmonton as the season progresses.

I have MORE electronics and TV that I care to list, guess what , they are ALL COLOR the main ones are Plasma's, I do have a tube type TV still, a 34" Sony HD , great picture, but not as good as the Pioneer Elites.

You probably want to take fighting and checking out of the game too, don't you.

Let's make it so no one can touch one another, that way we'll have free movement and much more scoring.

You want to go the opposite direction- encouraging fighting rather than scoring!

And irony of ironies- your Red Wings have a guy named Datsyuk that does the type of things you don't like (fancy-schmancy moves, highlight-reel stuff).

Regardless, I do not the like the shoot-out in any form or fashion - most real hockey fans would agree. The shoot-out wasn't around when the Montreal Wanderers defeated the Winnipeg Maple Leafs; the shoot-out wasn't around when Gordie Howe and Rocket Richard dominated the ice; and it wasn't around when Wayne Gretzky thrilled millions with his extraordinary abilities. Shoot-out? Shoot-out my eye!

And what's so great about the tie?

You want to go the opposite direction- encouraging fighting rather than scoring!

And irony of ironies- your Red Wings have a guy named Datsyuk that does the type of things you don't like (fancy-schmancy moves, highlight-reel stuff).

He also fights !!!!!

Once in a while.

The Red Wings have a BUNCH of scorers.

I never said I don't like scoring, I don't like Shoot outs because you take most of the game out of the shoot out.

May as well play Score O.

Lets skip the goalies and have a board in goal and see if we can score from center ice.

I like a balanced well played game.

I lost interest a few years back when the Wings were winning 9 out of 10 games, it got boring....

I'm trying to get my interest peaked with the new season getting rolling.
Usually I wait till the first of the year after the Bowl season to get into the Hockey mode, but trying something different this year.

Here's my take:

I was at a Ranger game a couple of years ago that went to a shootout. Nobody left after the OT ended, people were on the edge of their seats. Like it or not, the shootout is here to stay.

What I would change, however, is the way points are handed out. Now that no games are tied and all games have a winner and a loser, they need to revert to two points for a win, zero points for a loss. NOTHING for losing in OT or a shootout. You either win, or you lose. Period.

That way teams won't go into safe mode in a tie game halfway through the third period, assuring themselves of one point before trying for the second point. The extra point handed to the losing game also makes the standings look stupid. By the end of the season you usually have like 22 teams out of 30 who are over .500. Ridiculous.

Sandra

What I would change, however, is the way points are handed out. Now that no games are tied and all games have a winner and a loser, they need to revert to two points for a win, zero points for a loss. NOTHING for losing in OT or a shootout. You either win, or you lose. Period.

Totally agree!! :up

THEN you can go to strictly won/loss and get rid of the point system altogether.

The extra point handed to the losing game also makes the standings look stupid. By the end of the season you usually have like 22 teams out of 30 who are over .500. Ridiculous.

Its beyond ridiculous when you look at the standings (the way it's set up now)! :rolleyes:

Sandra

Here's my take:

I was at a Ranger game a couple of years ago that went to a shootout. Nobody left after the OT ended, people were on the edge of their seats. Like it or not, the shootout is here to stay.

That way teams won't go into safe mode in a tie game halfway through the third period, assuring themselves of one point before trying for the second point. The extra point handed to the losing game also makes the standings look stupid. By the end of the season you usually have like 22 teams out of 30 who are over .500. Ridiculous.

Sandra

Totally agree!! :up

THEN you can go to strictly won/loss and get rid of the point system altogether.

Its beyond ridiculous when you look at the standings (the way it's set up now)! :rolleyes:

Sandra

Amen ....

What I would do is set it up so that they actually PLAY OT hockey before a shoot out.

They move to a 4 on 4 in the OT, thats Great, lets, play a period, then if it's still tied, fine, go to a SO.

This BS playing 5 minutes is dumb, they just get settled in and the OT is over.

Better yet, go back to the way it use to be, play the OT with the normal number of people and be done when the next team SCORES, what a novel idea !

There was NO reason to change the OT rules in the first place.
If they must make changes, go 4 on 4 in the OT period, but play till someone wins.

Amen ....

What I would do is set it up so that they actually PLAY OT hockey before a shoot out.

They move to a 4 on 4 in the OT, thats Great, lets, play a period, then if it's still tied, fine, go to a SO.

This BS playing 5 minutes is dumb, they just get settled in and the OT is over.

Better yet, go back to the way it use to be, play the OT with the normal number of people and be done when the next team SCORES, what a novel idea !

There was NO reason to change the OT rules in the first place.
If they must make changes, go 4 on 4 in the OT period, but play till someone wins.

Jimbo,

What you're referring to is PLAYOFF OT hockey, which has not changed one bit. They still play 5 on 5 for however long it takes until someone scores.

The change they made was in the regular season, from no OT whatsoever (games end in a tie) to the restructured OT (4 on 4 opens up the ice and gives teams a better chance to score) and then to the shootout.

Sandra

Jimbo,

What you're referring to is PLAYOFF OT hockey, which has not changed one bit. They still play 5 on 5 for however long it takes until someone scores.

The change they made was in the regular season, from no OT whatsoever (games end in a tie) to the restructured OT (4 on 4 opens up the ice and gives teams a better chance to score) and then to the shootout.

IMHO they cannot play until someone scores in the regular season. Sounds good on paper, but it's logistically impossible.

Sandra

Why ?

They could play at LEAST a period of 4 on 4 before going to a gimmick to win the game.

I do like your idea of changing the standings the way they award points.

Why ?

They could play at LEAST a period of 4 on 4 before going to a gimmick to win the game.

I do like your idea of changing the standings the way they award points.

I guess it's possible, but I think too many games would go to four periods. Too much.

Sandra

The Bruins are 1-1. But, it doesn't even seem like the season actually started with the ridiculous first 2 games in Prague against the "heated" rivals, Phoenix Coyotes.:rolleyes:

The Bruins are 1-1. But, it doesn't even seem like the season actually started with the ridiculous first 2 games in Prague against the "heated" rivals, Phoenix Coyotes.:rolleyes:

LMAO!! :D

I almost feel like those two games were exhibitions. :eek:

Of course they are all color.
Is it possible to still buy black and white TVs?
I did read somewhere that the super max prison only has black and white TVs for the inmates.

Not a good outing for the wings last night, we already have our first "lets get rid of ozzie" as a backup talk among media around here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)