2010 FIFA WORLD CUP

24.3 million people watched either the ABC or Univision broadcast of the final match. I am going to gloat a little here. This was slightly higher than the NCAA basketball Championship game, higher than 6 out of 7 NBA Finals games, and higher than any college bowl game save for the BCS Championship game.

I think the World Cup has finally penetrated the American sports consciousness.

Impressive. Heck, I even watched, between napping (no joke, I did fall a sleep a few times).

I think the biggest reason for the dullness was the ABC announcers. Those dudes were so monotone and nondramatic. When I switched to Univision the announcers were definitely more energetic, but I did not understand what they were saying. Good announcers do make a big difference.

Lot's of people who don't speak Spanish will tune in the Univision broadcast for that very reason. There were a lot who liked the understated tone of the ESPN crew as well. I guess it just comes down to personal preference.

Lot's of people who don't speak Spanish will tune in the Univision broadcast for that very reason. There were a lot who liked the understated tone of the ESPN crew as well. I guess it just comes down to personal preference.
I can tell a definite difference in tone, which made a big difference in the perceived excitement of the game.

Yes the announcers definitely add excitement to the game, you can feel their passion for the game. I also noticed that the picture quality was a lot better with Univision, at least to my eyes. During the World Cup, I kept wondering if people could watch Univision and listen to Espn radio somehow, to at least enjoy the picture quality.

I'm glad the final game had good ratings but like I said before, I'm OK as long as I can watch the WC live.

Impressive. Heck, I even watched, between napping (no joke, I did fall a sleep a few times).

I think the biggest reason for the dullness was the ABC announcers. Those dudes were so monotone and nondramatic. When I switched to Univision the announcers were definitely more energetic, but I did not understand what they were saying. Good announcers do make a big difference.

That is why I WATCHED the game on UNIVISION and LISTENED to local spanish sport talk and had Andres Cantor announce the game. NEVER a dull broadcast with him.

To each his (or her) own, I suppose.

Martin Tyler was fantastic in both the Final, and the entire World Cup. So refreshing to not have an announcer screaming at you to tell you something is exciting. Tyler lets the viewers decide for themselves.

I love listening to him announce English Premier League games as well, where he usually works alone. Tyler is legendary in Britain. Asking him to be more dramatic is like asking Vin Scully to liven baseball games up a bit because he's too monotone as well. ;)

You guys can have the screamers.

Sandra

I wish I understood Spanish, but whenever there is a goal scored I like to hear

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!:cool:

Last edited:
You guys can have the screamers. Give me a Vin Scully any day of the week. ;)

Sandra
Vin is not a screamer, but he is one that sets the perfect tone. Remember the call of Montana to Clark, or game 6 of the 86 World Series when the ball goes through Buckner's legs, or Gibson's HR in 88, or Arron's 715th HR, or Monday's flag saving game, or even Bo's HR in the 89 AS game. Those were all dramatic calls filled with excitement, but without screaming, and all from the best announcer of all time of all sports. These English announcers didn't even have excitement in any call.

BTW, here is Vin Scully's call of Bo's HR in 89 at the All Star Game. It starts at about 2:30 into the clip.

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | MLB Tonight reflects on historical All-Star Games - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Attached are all of his famous calls

Attachments

• ClassicVinScullyHighlights_64kb_mp3.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 117
Vin is not a screamer, but he is one that sets the perfect tone. Remember the call of Montana to Clark, or game 6 of the 86 World Series when the ball goes through Buckner's legs, or Gibson's HR in 88, or Arron's 715th HR, or Monday's flag saving game, or even Bo's HR in the 89 AS game. Those were all dramatic calls filled with excitement, but without screaming, and all from the best announcer of all time of all sports. These English announcers didn't even have excitement in any call.

BTW, here is Vin Scully's call of Bo's HR in 89 at the All Star Game. It starts at about 2:30 into the clip.

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | MLB Tonight reflects on historical All-Star Games - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Attached are all of his famous calls

Martin Tyler also has had some wonderfully exciting goal calls, which, like Scully, he does without screaming. Since there are less goals in soccer, you just don't notice them as much.

Sandra

Martin Tyler also has had some wonderfully exciting goal calls, which, like Scully, he does without screaming. Since there are less goals in soccer, you just don't notice them as much.

Sandra
Probably true. I just happened to tune to Univision when Spain scored the only goal, so I missed the English call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts