2010 NBA Free Agency Thread

THIS signing took longer than expected.

After James, Bosh and Wade decided to team up, the Heat knew they needed a shooter to complement the All-Star trio, and that only raised Miller’s stock in Miami. Riley met with Miller in the very first moments after free agency opened at 12:01 a.m. eastern time on July 1, sitting down with him in a Beverly Hills hotel room for a sales pitch unlike any other.

The Heat, Riley said that night, were going after James and Bosh to join Wade. And they wanted Miller to join the party.

Miller talked with at least four other teams after that, but in the end, nothing was going to change his mind about coming to the Heat.

“Pat had a vision for the team, a vision that he laid out with evangelical fervor,” Miller’s agent, Arn Tellem, wrote on his blog earlier this week. “We left the room converted.”

The convert now has a contract, worth around $25 million. It was signed on the same day the Minnesota Timberwolves planned to introduce former Heat forward Michael Beasley(notes) to their fan base, which is more than coincidental. By trading Beasley for draft picks, that cleared the cap space Miami needed to sign Miller.

He agreed to the deal in principle late last week after James picked Miami. Some minor hangups in the contract process sparked speculation that Miller would go elsewhere, rumors that were proven unfounded.

Miller shot a career-best 48 percent from 3-point range last season with Washington, with career averages of 13.7 points and 5.1 rebounds.

Miller signs Heat deal, joins Wade, James and Bosh - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

My avatar was due for a change. EVERYONE knows that avatar went up during the college football season. This Miami fan is clear about his teams. ;-)

You sure you wouldn't be sporting a Bulls logo if Wade and company went to Chicago? I get the vibe you have multiple teams you sway back and forth to. ;)

Dwyane Wade says LeBron didn't quit in playoffs. Anyone can say what didn't happen. I'm waiting to hear explanation of what DID happen.

Something ever reporter on the face of this earth is afraid to ask to the all-mighty "chosen one".

Dwyane Wade says LeBron didn't quit in playoffs. Anyone can say what didn't happen. I'm waiting to hear explanation of what DID happen.

Something ever reporter on the face of this earth is afraid to ask to the all-mighty "chosen one".

They are not afraid, they just know they are NOT gonna get the answer they want. And Wayne is sticking up for his friend. That is all.

Very true. Lebron will never admit to anything. ;)

Sandra

WHAT PLAYER in their right mind would admit they quit? In ANY professional sport? HAS ANY player ever done that...ADMIT they quit?? Nope. So what makes you think they would do it NOW when image is absolutely everything and perception is now OFFICALLY reality? You guys expect way too much from folks that are no different than you or I. Would YOU tell the world that on some days,
you are not doing a damn thing at work and just BS all day? Nope.

I know Charles Barkley talks through his hat a lot, but there is something to be said for his remark that, if he were 25 years old and a superstar free agent, he wouldn't be looking to join a team full of superstars just to win a championship. He'd be looking for a place where he would be "the man" and carry his team to a championship. For cripes sakes, why don't these big name free agents just join the Harlem Globetrotters and beat the Generals every night?

I know Charles Barkley talks through his hat a lot, but there is something to be said for his remark that, if he were 25 years old and a superstar free agent, he wouldn't be looking to join a team full of superstars just to win a championship. He'd be looking for a place where he would be "the man" and carry his team to a championship. For cripes sakes, why don't these big name free agents just join the Harlem Globetrotters and beat the Generals every night?

That is garbage. He was on the Dan Lebatard show saying the same thing. Yet NO seems to remember, NONE of the big names like Jordan, Barkely, Bird, Magic and the rest EVER had a chance to become a free agent in the prime of their careers.

NONE of them. Do we KNOW they would have signed somewhere else? NOPE. But I assure they sure as sh** would have declared free agency to try to get more money and see what their worth was in the open market. Good ole capitolism in the NBA.

That is garbage. He was on the Dan Lebatard show saying the same thing. Yet NO seems to remember, NONE of the big names like Jordan, Barkely, Bird, Magic and the rest EVER had a chance to become a free agent in the prime of their careers.

NONE of them. Do we KNOW they would have signed somewhere else? NOPE. But I assure they sure as sh** would have declared free agency to try to get more money and see what their worth was in the open market. Good ole capitolism in the NBA.

Can you ever imagine Jordan leaving the Bulls to play on someone else's team? Even with Free Agency. Tell the truth. I thought so. Case closed.

Can you ever imagine Jordan leaving the Bulls to play on someone else's team? Even with Free Agency. Tell the truth. I thought so. Case closed.

Telling the truth....I cannot say yes or no. The money was NO WHERE near as crazy as now and Jordan have VERY FEW friends. He hated EVERYONE. He would get into fights, FIST FIGHTS, with his own teammates!! Would have NO LIMIT checker games with teammates and was RUTHLESS about it. He was not very liked.....you ALL saw his Hall of Fame induction speech, he had a vendetta against EVERYONE. So, it cannot be said case closed. He was the best player I had EVERY seen, but NO ONE will EVER...and I mean EVER match HIS ego.

Telling the truth....I cannot say yes or no. The money was NO WHERE near as crazy as now and Jordan have VERY FEW friends. He hated EVERYONE. He would get into fights, FIST FIGHTS, with his own teammates!! Would have NO LIMIT checker games with teammates and was RUTHLESS about it. He was not very liked.....you ALL saw his Hall of Fame induction speech, he had a vendetta against EVERYONE. So, it cannot be said case closed. He was the best player I had EVERY seen, but NO ONE will EVER...and I mean EVER match HIS ego.

Bingo.

Which is why he would chose to win on his own, not ride the coat-tails of others.

Good point....AND he CHOSE to not come back to the Bulls.;)

Oh stop it. He certainly didn't leave at the height of his career to ride the coat-tails of others to get a Championship he couldn't get on his own.

Call what he did during the Celtics playoff series what you will, but this move to Miami is the ultimate QUIT!

Oh stop it. He certainly didn't leave at the height of his career to ride the coat-tails of others to get a Championship he couldn't get on his own.

Call what he did during the Celtics playoff series what you will, but this move to Miami is the ultimate QUIT!

NOT when he helps Miami win multiple championships....;) Call it what you will, the ultimate goal is to win championships....plain and simple. Fans want THEIR favorite TEAMS to win championships....NOT their favorite PLAYERS to do it.;)

NOT when he helps Miami win multiple championships....;) Call it what you will, the ultimate goal is to win championships....plain and simple. Fans want THEIR favorite TEAMS to win championships....NOT their favorite PLAYERS to do it.;)

I can understand if he was on a terrible team, but he wasn't.

There is no guarantee he will win a Championship with Miami next year or the year after.

It was a fact though that he was on a very good Cavalier team who has been on the verge of winning a Championship in each of the past 4 years though. I still think it was too early to quit on the Cavs.

I can understand if he was on a terrible team, but he wasn't.

There is no guarantee he will win a Championship with Miami next year or the year after.

It was a fact though that he was on a very good Cavalier team who has been on the verge of winning a Championship in each of the past 4 years though. I still think it was too early to quit on the Cavs.

It was obvious that this team was not gonna win the NBA chmapionship. The fact that with a core of Mike Miller, Lebron, Wade and Bosh is a MUCH BETTER core than anything Cleveland has ever had. It may NOT guarantee a championship, but they have a much better team than Cleveland had last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)