2010 Winter Olympics

Congrats to all. Looks like the Canadians might take the Gold in Curling, both men and women's teams.

I just want to see the best in the world. It doesn't hurt my feelings one bit when some of them aren't from the USA.

Congrats to all. Looks like the Canadians might take the Gold in Curling, both men and women's teams.

I just want to see the best in the world. It doesn't hurt my feelings one bit when some of them aren't from the USA.

I root for the USA first and the Canadians second.

Loved how the Canadian Women celebrated the gold last night.... :D

oly_g_canada13_576.jpg

The IOC on the other hand, might not be too pleased....

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2010/icehockey/news/story?id=4947716"]IOC to look into Canadian hockey celebration - ESPN[/ame]

I hope the USA and Canda win today. I'd love to see a rematch for the Gold. I'm not a huge hockey fan, but I've really been enjoying it this year. The lack of commercial breaks is awesome.

Hey! we are Canadian you know...

Nothing wrong with the pictures at all. If it was the men's team everyone would be fine with it. Seriously, who would not want to date a cigar smoking, beer swilling good looking athlete (read the sexual overtones)?

Steve:D

Nothing wrong with the pictures at all. If it was the men's team everyone would be fine with it. Seriously, who would not want to date a cigar smoking, beer swilling good looking athlete (read the sexual overtones)?

Steve:D

Has nothing to do with women. I have never seen an NHL team celebrate a championship like that on the ice.

Sandra

Has nothing to do with women. I have never seen an NHL team celebrate a championship like that on the ice.
No, they just trash the locker room when they lose, like the Canadian's Men team did in '06. :rolleyes:

I have no problem with the celebration. A celebration cigar is tradition, and drinking beer is part of the Canadian culture :D

No, they just trash the locker room when they lose, like the Canadian's Men team did in '06.

One has nothing to do with the other. No idea why you would compare an on-ice celebration to a team taking out their frustration after they lose, except to create a straw-man to knock over. :rolleyes:

Not that it has any relevance to a conversation regarding Canada's women's team, but I have no recollection of a Canadian team trashing a locker room four years ago anyway. Is your straw man even real???

I have no problem with the celebration. A celebration cigar is tradition, and drinking beer is part of the Canadian culture :D

There is no Canadian tradition/culture of doing things like that on the ice after a victory.

Sandra

There is no Canadian tradition/culture of doing things like that on the ice after a victory.
My wife seemed to think so, but then again she was only born and raised in Northern Ontario, so what does she know. ;)

Personally I prefer the Pittsburgh method of taking the Stanley Cup into a pool party. :D

...and she went out onto the ice, popped open a beer and lit up a cigar after a championship? :confused:
No, but teams would do that. The 87'ers did it a few times when we saw some of their games. Celebrate on the ice that is.

Granted this is minor league stuff, but it's not like the women's team is professionals.

As for NFL teams in Canada, well since the Leafs will probably never win another cup, we may never know ;)

Even the spokesman for the Canadian Olympics Committee said "In terms of the actual celebration, it's not exactly something uncommon in Canada. If these athletes were of legal age, then it's not something that's against the law. We can understand there's a lot of sensitivity around celebrations."

Last edited:
No, but teams would do that. The 87'ers did it a few times when we saw some of their games. Celebrate on the ice that is.

Who are the 87ers?

As for NFL teams in Canada, well since the Leafs will probably never win another cup, we may never know

The Leafs are not the only NHL team in Canada (assuming that's what you meant). Canadian teams have won many Stanley Cups. We know.

If these athletes were of legal age, then it's not something that's against the law. We can understand there's a lot of sensitivity around celebrations.
Are all of the women on the team of legal age?

Sandra

Who are the 87ers?
Minor, semi-pro team up in Northern Ontario.
Are all of the women on the team of legal age?
Most of them, the drinking age is Canada is either 18 or 19 depending on the Province. Even in the ones where it's 19, it's barely enforced against 18 yr. olds.
They're not exactly as anal about drinking up there as Americans are. They even allow underage drinking when in your home under the supervision of your parents.

RBS 6 Nations - live matches where?

Unique Quirks/Coincidences in Sports

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)