2011 MLB Playoffs

If the ratings aren't good this year then it's really more about the problems in baseball. The NFL always gets good ratings during the playoffs , not matter who is playing.
Football is different. It is one game a week vs 7 games spread out over 1.5 weeks. NFL fans follow the NFL while MLB fans tend to follow only their team. Baseball has always been more local and the NFL has always been more national (when compared to baseball)

Football is different. It is one game a week vs 7 games spread out over 1.5 weeks. NFL fans follow the NFL while MLB fans tend to follow only their team. Baseball has always been more local and the NFL has always been more national (when compared to baseball)

I don't agree with that but, like I said, YMMV!

Sandra

I don't agree either. I watch all baseball even if it isn't my team.

Actually, one of the reasons you cannot compare football to baseball is that almost everyone, one way or another, has money riding on the game.

Between office pools, suicide pools, fantasy leagues, proposition bets, and outright betting on the game, at last count there were about 12 people in this country (including a really cute girl in NJ!) who watch the sport just for the sake of the sport only.

Most baseball fans are watching baseball for the main reason that they love baseball!

Sandra

I would consider the two on the West Coast to be superpowers to be the Giants and Dodgers.

Maybe we're debating semantics here. At the very least the Giants are a "cornerstone" franchise, along with the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Tigers, Cardinals, Cubs and probably a few others.

The Cubs haven't won a World Series in over a century, but I don't think anyone is going to argue their "place" in the grand scheme of things .

Jimbo said:
Really ?

They won the WS, now they are Super Powers ?
How many times have they made the Playoffs in the last 10 years ?

Are they a threat every year , most years ?

I don't consider them a Super Power.
neither do I, they got lucky last year. Even with Bonds they couldn't win the world series. Super powers in baseball are the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Braves, Cardinals, Cubs, White Sox, Dodgers and Angels.

Maybe we're debating semantics here. At the very least the Giants are a "cornerstone" franchise, along with the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Tigers, Cardinals, Cubs and probably a few others.

The Cubs haven't won a World Series in over a century, but I don't think anyone is going to argue their "place" in the grand scheme of things .

This I do agree with. They have been around a long time as a franchise, but their winning championships year in and year out was a long time ago.