2011 MLB Playoffs

Baseball needs a salary cap like football so everyone can compete and have a chance to win a championship :)

raoul5788 said:
I assume you are referring to ARod, but if I put blame on one player, it's Jeter. Down one run in the eighth with the tying run on first, WHO IS STEALING ON THE FIRST PITCH, Jeter ONCE AGAIN swings at the first pitch! Unbelievable! When you are down a run, you have to tie the game before you can win it. Gardner would most likely have stolen that base and be in scoring position, but Jeter has to swing at the first pitch......oh well, good for the Tigers, they are a really good team and aside Valverde, very likable, too.

Regardless, Jeter flew out, so stealing the base didn't make a difference either way.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Baseball needs a salary cap like football so everyone can compete and have a chance to win a championship :)
With my New England roots, I, of course, don't want everyone to have a chance to win a championship.

Baseball will never be able to develop as rigid a salary cap structure as football has, largely because of its different origin. Owners of successful, big market teams have paid very high prices for their franchises, believing that those franchises would have an above average prospects of winning. They aren't going to give up the "right" to benefit from an income structure that they paid for.

king3pj said:
I wonder if those times are official yet. MLB.com still shows what days the games will be and where they will be at but the times are all listed as TBD. I really can't believe they would have an ALCS game played at 4:00pm eastern time on a Wednesday. Do they just not want anyone to watch? I would be shocked if all the championship series games for both leagues weren't in primetime. If they are trying not to compete with each other at least start it at 5:00 or 6:00.

According to the Det. News, game 4 and 5 are 4:30 starts.

You would think they would do 4:30 starts on the weeknd, not during the week when people are working.

That is ridiculous. Even when there were 4 matchups going on in the lds round there was only one day game during the week. Even if fox and tbs had to compete with each other a couple times both networks would have better ratings then they will for a game in the middle of the day. They don't have to be primetime exactly but they should at least be outside working hours. TBS had their early games at 5:07 with a late game at 8:37. 5:07 is still to early but it's a whole lot better than 4:00.

Regardless, Jeter flew out, so stealing the base didn't make a difference either way.

That's my whole point Jimbo. If Gardner is on second, you only need a single to score him. Jeter should have given him a chance to steal the base.

Game times are set for the ALCS on Fox and NLCS on TBS. On the days when two games are scheduled, one will begin at 4:00 (something) p.m. (first pitch), the other shortly after 8 p.m. Sunday's NLCS game is a day game. 4:05 is the scheduled start. The ALCS games on Wednesday and Thursday are 4:19 p.m starts. All times Eastern.

Game times are set for the ALCS on Fox and NLCS on TBS. On the days when two games are scheduled, one will begin at 4:00 (something) p.m. (first pitch), the other shortly after 8 p.m. Sunday's NLCS game is a day game. 4:05 is the scheduled start. The ALCS games on Wednesday and Thursday are 4:19 p.m starts. All times Eastern.
I see that that's the way it is. I jusy think it's stupid. You don't see any of the other major sports having playoff games in the middle of working hours. They do them at night because they want people to watch them.

I assume you are referring to ARod, but if I put blame on one player, it's Jeter. Down one run in the eighth with the tying run on first, WHO IS STEALING ON THE FIRST PITCH, Jeter ONCE AGAIN swings at the first pitch! Unbelievable! When you are down a run, you have to tie the game before you can win it. Gardner would most likely have stolen that base and be in scoring position, but Jeter has to swing at the first pitch......oh well, good for the Tigers, they are a really good team and aside Valverde, very likable, too.

I agree with your viewpoint (plenty of blame to go around) but the media is going to have a field day with A-Rod since he's the biggest and easiest target. Moreover, I swear that I watched Jeter age 10-years in this series; as you mentioned, he didn't deliver timely hits when needed or play "smart baseball" like he has done so many times in the past. Additionally, I feel Girardi was outcoached by Leyland all the close games. I still don't know understand his bullpen strategy he used in Game 5. The Yankees have decisions to make over the winter but they'll be back next year, as usual.

They have one, except MLB lets you go OVER it anytime you want as long as you pay a tax on it.
MLB needs a salary cap that wont let you go over it like the nfl does :) maybe mlb ratngs would go up if they had more teams competing for a championship instead of almost teh same teams every year :)

That is ridiculous. Even when there were 4 matchups going on in the lds round there was only one day game during the week. Even if fox and tbs had to compete with each other a couple times both networks would have better ratings then they will for a game in the middle of the day. They don't have to be primetime exactly but they should at least be outside working hours. TBS had their early games at 5:07 with a late game at 8:37. 5:07 is still to early but it's a whole lot better than 4:00.

I agree with everything you've posted here.

Every day game here at 4:19 will be dealing with shadow by the 3-4th innings, a real disadvantage for the hitters...

I agree with your viewpoint (plenty of blame to go around) but the media is going to have a field day with A-Rod since he's the biggest and easiest target. Moreover, I swear that I watched Jeter age 10-years in this series; as you mentioned, he didn't deliver timely hits when needed or play "smart baseball" like he has done so many times in the past. Additionally, I feel Girardi was outcoached by Leyland all the close games. I still don't know understand his bullpen strategy he used in Game 5. The Yankees have decisions to make over the winter but they'll be back next year, as usual.

Yup they will, they'll look at the FA wire and pick the best player available.

I was a great thing when Cliff Lee turned them down.

Teams may start realizing that jacked up salaries do not equate to championships...

Here is rank and salary in millions for this year's playoff teams.

1 New York Yankees --------$203
2 Philadelphia Phillies --------$173
10 Detroit Tigers------------$106
11 St. Louis Cardinals--------$105
13 Texas Rangers-----------$92
17 Milwaukee Brewers-------$85
25 Arizona Diamondbacks----$54
29 Tampa Bay Rays---------$41

What I don't like is that the DBacks reduced their salaries to this level and continue to charge excessive prices for seats.

Brewers go ahead 2-1, but before that, Chris Young made one of the greatest catches I've ever seen!!

mikew said:
Teams may start realizing that jacked up salaries do not equate to championships...

Here is rank and salary in millions for this year's playoff teams.

1 New York Yankees --------$203
2 Philadelphia Phillies --------$173
10 Detroit Tigers------------$106
11 St. Louis Cardinals--------$105
13 Texas Rangers-----------$92
17 Milwaukee Brewers-------$85
25 Arizona Diamondbacks----$54
29 Tampa Bay Rays---------$41

What I don't like is that the DBacks reduced their salaries to this level and continue to charge excessive prices for seats.

I could not agree with you last sentence more. The are playing with the fans money, I say....

Congrats to the Brewers on their first series win since 1982! Tough loss for a very game Diamondback squad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)