2011 MLB Trade Deadline/Rumors

How bizarre that the Rockies would not allow a physical to be done , they have to have one anyways before the deal can be completed.

Why would they not allow the Yankees to give Jimenez a physical? They let the Indians give him one before the trade was finalized.

Looks like the Indians are gonna acquire the biggest fish on the starting pitching market........good for them:

Indians To Acquire Ubaldo Jimenez

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 30 at 8:12pm CST]
8:12pm: Ubaldo is getting hugs in the dugout and has been removed from the game. The deal appears to be going through.
8:01pm: It appears that the Indians are getting a fourth player, Jon Heyman of SI.com reports (on Twitter).
7:47pm: Jimenez is currently on the mound for the Rockies and pitching against the Padres. That's a pretty clear indication that a trade has not been finalized. Esmil Rogers is currently warming up in the bullpen however, says Renck (on Twitter).
7:13pm: Jimenez is currently out in the bullpen and warming up to pitch against the Padres according to Renck (on Twitter), so the deal may not be done yet. He could still pitch for Colorado before a trade is finalized, but teams typically won't risk injury in this situation.
Joel Sherman of The New York Post reports (on Twitter) that four days ago the Yankees asked the Rockies if they could perform a physical on Jimenez if the two sides came to an agreement on a trade. Colorado refused, so the Yankees backed out.

We gave up two huge prospects to get him, but it does feel good to be on the proactive side of the trade deadline this time.

With the benefit of hindsight, it's easy to now understand why the Red Sox spent so much time and energy on finding a starting pitcher at the trade deadline.

Clay Buchholz, who's been out six weeks, is suffering from a stress fracture in his lower back, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

It's unlikely that Buchholz will pitch again this season, though a return in the postseason has not entirely been ruled out yet.

Buchholz has stress fracture, likely out for year

Depending on what happens before the Aug 31 waiver trade deadline, I'm really glad the Yankees held onto their prospects and did not unload them. Hopefully this speaks to the faith the organization has in Banuelos, Betances, Montero, Romine, Sanchez, and the rest of the prospects.

Of course another arm would have been nice, but the future is looking good right now.

Sandra

I tell you what. If the Indians can figure out how to with the AL Central and get all of our key players healthy (Choo, Sizemore), we're going to be a tough out in the playoffs. Jimenez, Masterson, Tomlin, Carmona, Carasco and our stud bullpen?! Now that's how you win in the playoffs! I just hope our offense digs itself out of their slump in the meantime.

Great if everyone else wants him, I just don't want him on the Sox. Don't like him as a pitcher and I especially don't like the price tag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using SatelliteGuys

Really? He's getting paid peanuts.

Ubaldo Jimenez will cost the Indians $4.2 million next year, or about what we paid for David Delucci in 2008. He’ll cost us significantly less in 2012 and 2013 combined ($9.95 million) than it costs to employ Travis Hafner for one season ($13 million).

His contract is actually very friendly. We are getting an ace for what amounts to almost no money. In other words, it will not affect the team’s ability to add pieces and parts over the next several seasons.

Really? He's getting paid peanuts.

Ubaldo Jimenez will cost the Indians $4.2 million next year, or about what we paid for David Delucci in 2008. He’ll cost us significantly less in 2012 and 2013 combined ($9.95 million) than it costs to employ Travis Hafner for one season ($13 million).

His contract is actually very friendly. We are getting an ace for what amounts to almost no money. In other words, it will not affect the team’s ability to add pieces and parts over the next several seasons.
I'm guessing that Hart5150 is referring to the player cost sent to Denver, not Jimenez's salary.

Interesting perspective from Keith Law:

The main problem for Cleveland here is that it is incorrectly evaluating its own team -- the Indians shouldn't be buying, and while I could forgive them for not selling, that would be the smarter move for a team still trying to rebuild. Since a fluky 30-15 start driven largely by a schedule with more cupcakes than a Sprinkles bake shop, Cleveland is 23-36 and has been outscored by 77 runs in that span -- that is, it has been outscored by over a run and a quarter per game. Superman isn't going to close that gap, and while there are things to like about Ubaldo Jimenez, Superman he ain't.

Keith Law -- Indians make wrong choice in acquiring Ubaldo Jimenez - ESPN

stone phillips420 said:
cant have a firesale when they have a new stadium to fill next year

Yep! The two main names stayed(Hanley and Josh) as well as the the upper and comers(Mike Stanton, Logan Morrison, Gaby Sanchez) and the entire starting rotation.

I'm guessing that Hart5150 is referring to the player cost sent to Denver, not Jimenez's salary.

Interesting perspective from Keith Law:

Keith Law -- Indians make wrong choice in acquiring Ubaldo Jimenez - ESPN

Well, that's one persons opinion. We took a different route. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.

For too many years, we've been mortgaging our present for our future. (Trades of Lee, Sabathia and V-Mart). In this trade, we gave away two prospects. Not MLB proven players. But two prospects. In this league, there are no guarantees. We took a shot at improving our chances to win now. Or in the next 2-3 year window. Jimenez has the ability to help us now and for the next 3 years. The prospects we gave away don't. They're still prospects after all. We weren't supposed to compete until next year anyways. The fact that we are competing this year is a surprise. Jimenez is a top of the roatation guy that should only add to our strength.

As for Kieth Law (who?) picking our record apart; has he been paying attention? I challenge any other MLB club to go without their entire outfield for any extended amount of time and see what that does to their record. We've been battling key injuries through the second half. If we get our boys back healthy like they were in the first half, then we can judge them. But not now. Too many key injuries right now. Our club doesn't have the depth to overcome injuries like those. If we can hang in until we do have everyone healthy though, look out.

SandraC said:
Depending on what happens before the Aug 31 waiver trade deadline, I'm really glad the Yankees held onto their prospects and did not unload them. Hopefully this speaks to the faith the organization has in Banuelos, Betances, Montero, Romine, Sanchez, and the rest of the prospects.

Of course another arm would have been nice, but the future is looking good right now.

Sandra
I completly agree.

Sent from my LG-P999 using SatelliteGuys