2011 MLB Trade Deadline/Rumors

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
The next three plus weeks will be very interesting, as clubs decide if they're buyers or sellers.

Mets Listening On Carlos Beltran

By Ben Nicholson-Smith
The Mets are beginning to accept calls on Carlos Beltran, according to Kevin Kernan of the New York Post and “people are calling” about the outfielder.
Beltran, who has said he’ll waive his no-trade clause in the right deal to a contender, met with agent Scott Boras to discuss trade possibilities. Few teams, if any, could afford Beltran’s $18.5MM salary, since he’ll still be owed $6MM or so at the end of July. He currently projects as a Type A free agent, but the Mets cannot offer him arbitration after the season.
The Yankees aren’t interested in Beltran, though the Red Sox are a possible fit given the low level of offensive production Boston has received from its right fielders this year. Mets GM Sandy Alderson says “it’s still a little bit early” to make deals, since the Mets are “relevant” in the race for playoff berths.

I'd be shocked if the Red Sox were interested. Personally, I hope the Sox go after a starting pitcher like the Astros' Wandy Rodriquez.

The Reds need to just bring up some of their minor leaguers which are doing outstanding and sitting the players hitting near the mendoza line.

I am sure the Marlins are gonna be sellers for a few guys. Not just to dump, they have a couple of guys in their minors that are ready now. I would say the main player ALOT of teams will be inquiring about closer Leo Nunez. There is STILL some small talk about Hanley and Gabby Sanchez for Pujols now that he is back from his wrist injury and now that Hanley has been on a tear(hitting .390...raising his average from .190 to .233) since the manager change.

The Reds need to just bring up some of their minor leaguers which are doing outstanding and sitting the players hitting near the mendoza line.

The Reds need to bring up Triple AAA infielder Todd Frazier, the hero of Toms River East American's Little League world championship of the late 90's. That was the beast of the East team, that had the guy in the gorilla suit running around in the grass in the outfield.

Sandra

The Braves need a bat. I think the pitching, if they stay healthy, is good enough. Of course it would be nice if Uggla started to hit.

Mets Listening On Carlos Beltran

By Ben Nicholson-Smith
The Mets are beginning to accept calls on Carlos Beltran, according to Kevin Kernan of the New York Post and “people are calling” about the outfielder.
Beltran, who has said he’ll waive his no-trade clause in the right deal to a contender, met with agent Scott Boras to discuss trade possibilities. Few teams, if any, could afford Beltran’s $18.5MM salary, since he’ll still be owed $6MM or so at the end of July. He currently projects as a Type A free agent, but the Mets cannot offer him arbitration after the season.
The Yankees aren’t interested in Beltran, though the Red Sox are a possible fit given the low level of offensive production Boston has received from its right fielders this year. Mets GM Sandy Alderson says “it’s still a little bit early” to make deals, since the Mets are “relevant” in the race for playoff berths.

I'd be shocked if the Red Sox were interested. Personally, I hope the Sox go after a starting pitcher like the Astros' Wandy Rodriquez.

Reddick has played in right field in 28 of 66 games in his brief career, so when Crawford comes back, I expect him to displace Drew there.

If the playoffs started tomorrow, the Red Sox four main rotation, based on current performance and availability, would have to be Becket, Wakefield, Miller and Aceves. In reality, they'd put Lackey with his infinite GNP in there, but only because of wishful thinking and trying to rationalize his 16 million dollar a year salary. I don't know anything about Wandy Rodriquez, but they really need to add an established arm to their starting rotation.

Heyman On Ethier, Lowe, Astros, Twins, Mets

By Dan Mennella [July 8 at 2:27pm CST]
Dodgers outfielder Andre Ethier is the main topic of Jon Heyman's latest piece at SI.com. Ethier, a free agent after the 2012 season, is deeply unhappy with the Dodgers on account of their on and off-field troubles, a source tells Heyman.
While no specific trade or signing rumors pertaining to Ethier are cited, the outfielder is apparently a good friend of Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia (both players attended Arizona State University) and is said to have "Boston in his mind."

Here are some other items of note from Heyman's piece:
  • The Braves aren't openly shopping Derek Lowe, but with good pitching depth in the minors, Atlanta would probably listen to offers on the right-hander.
  • The Astros will be hard trade partners, one GM told Heyman, because of the impending change of ownership.
  • The Twins do not yet consider themselves sellers, a rival exec told Heyman.
  • Even if the Mets wanted to negotiate secretly with Jose Reyes, as was recently reported, Heyman thinks it's unlikely Reyes and his agents would entertain those talks at this juncture.
  • The Mets would love to find a trade partner to offload Francisco Rodriguez but, the closer's $17.5MM 2012 option deters logical suitors. One GM called it "scary."
  • The Tigers will consider an offensive upgrade at one of third base, second base or outfield.
Andre Ethier??!! To the Red Sox??!! :eek:

I doubt they could pull that off because it would take multiple prospects, but GAWD do I love that possibility (Crawford/Ellsbury/Ethier outfield? Me likes!!)

Also, with the Sox starting rotation currently in disarray, I wouldn't mind D-Lowe coming home to Fenway! :)

Also, with the Sox starting rotation currently in disarray, I wouldn't mind D-Lowe coming home to Fenway! :)

I will give you Lowe for Ryan Kalish.

Frankie Rodriguez was traded to the Brewers for 2 players to be named later.

This will be the first year in a while that I am not all that interested in trades. Probably because my team is out of it and will not be much involved at all, particularly with the bankruptcy issue. They will also not be sellers since their core is young players making little money that they want to keep. They may trade some of their veterans, but they are not big players to begin with.

The only key player that maybe traded could be a Loney or a veteran starting pitcher

This will be the first year in a while that I am not all that interested in trades. Probably because my team is out of it and will not be much involved at all, particularly with the bankruptcy issue. They will also not be sellers since their core is young players making little money that they want to keep. They may trade some of their veterans, but they are not big players to begin with.

The only key player that maybe traded could be a Loney or a veteran starting pitcher

Veteran starting pitcher, who do you have available, I KNOW Detroit is interested in starting pitching as is just about any one else.

Jimbo said:
Veteran starting pitcher, who do you have available, I KNOW Detroit is interested in starting pitching as is just about any one else.

Lily, Kuroka, Garland

Sent from my Samgung GALAXY tablet using SatelliteGuys

This would be a HUGE acquisition for some team:

Ubaldo Jimenez Rumors: Sunday

By Luke Adams [July 17 at 12:48pm CST]

With July 31st just two weeks away, Ubaldo Jimenez is one of the most surprising names being floated in trade rumors. Would the Rockies actually move Jimenez less than a year after he finished third in NL Cy Young voting? ESPN.com's Buster Olney (Insider link) talked to one talent evaluator who put the chances of a deal at one in four: "It has to be something that makes sense for the Rockies [right now]." Another evaluator thinks "it's more trolling than intent on moving" on Colorado's part (Twitter link). Here's a roundup of the rest of today's Jimenez-related notes....
  • MLB.com's Peter Gammons says the Rockies think there's about a 10% chance Jimenez is traded this month. Colorado is looking for two prime prospects, along with one or two big-league ready players, including a starting pitcher.
  • The Rockies and Yankees match up well, according to SI.com's Jon Heyman. Colorado likes Jesus Montero, but the Yanks are reluctant to include Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, or Ivan Nova along with Montero.
  • Heyman says (via Twitter) that the Rockies have talked to the Yankees, and "probably" the Red Sox, Tigers, Reds, and others as well.
  • Some teams interested in Jimenez believe that if the Rockies hang on to him now, he's a decent bet to be traded this winter, when available top pitching will again be scarce and more clubs could get involved, writes Olney.
  • One more note from Olney's article: Given Jimenez's inexpensive price tag through 2013, there would be very little financial risk for any team acquiring the right-hander, which is one reason why the Rockies' asking price is so high.
  • Speaking of that asking price, Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd tells Troy Renck of the Denver Post that the Rockies would have to be "absolutely overwhelmed" to move Jimenez. "It would have to be a Herschel Walkerdeal," O'Dowd added, referring to the 1989 NFL trade that earned the nickname "The Great Train Robbery."
  • There seems to be a potentially game-changing pitcher connected in trade rumors to the Yankees every July, and this year it's Jimenez, writes Mike Lupica of the New York Daily News.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)