2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Absolutely stunning...a game for the ages. San Jose actually tied in in a frantic, furious second period, they went the third period without any scoring, and Setoguchi wins it on OT on a gorgeous pass from Patrick Marleau.

Amazing.

San Jose has always had a history of choking under pressure...can this be the game that changes all that?

Sandra
Yep, I too was stunned since the Sharks, much like France, have a history of surrendering faster than Homer Simpson chases after a donut delivery truck. It's great news if you're a San Jose fan...however, I'll reserve any favorable comments until they actually win something. Regardless, it should be interesting to see how the Kings respond after this crushing loss on home ice.

Well THAT is a FATAL FLAW then.

Just goes to show you the STUPIDITY of Bettman.

Bettman is not perfect, but a statement like this is absolutely ridiculous. Fatal flaw? Seriously?

Do you remember even a little bit what the sport was like in the early 2000's? The league had to enter into a time-share agreement with ABC, where they had to sell their own commercials. No rights fee whatsoever. Now NBC is paying the league $200 million/year for ten years. Still think Bettman is a fatal flaw?

In the early 2000's the league was in serious trouble. There was speculation that the leauge would not survive. Payroll was going up, and rights fees were going down. The lockout was painful, but we came out on the other side with better hockey thanks to a host of new rules, a better TV contract, and the fact that the league is again relevant. Still think Bettman is a fatal flaw?

A fatal flaw because there are a few games in the first round that are not televised nationally? Jeez...

Sandra

The fatal flaw is that Bettman almost single-handedly drove the NHL into bankruptcy due to his poor decision-making when the league was disorganized and not capable of expanding into new markets south of the Mason-Dixon line; he made numerous boneheaded mistakes like these from the mid-90s to the mid-00s. However, I will certainly give him credit for inking a good deal for the NHL this past week. I honestly feel the 10-year NBC/Versus (soon be somethingNBC) relationship will be a fruitful one; both parties have a vested long-term interest to make it succeed. Now, if only the NHL can yank a few teams from the south and put them back in Canada where they belong!

The fatal flaw is that Bettman almost single-handedly drove the NHL into bankruptcy due to his poor decision-making when the league was disorganized and not capable of expanding into new markets south of the Mason-Dixon line; he made numerous boneheaded mistakes like these from the mid-90s to the mid-00s. However, I will certainly give him credit for inking a good deal for the NHL this past week. I honestly feel the 10-year NBC/Versus (soon be somethingNBC) relationship will be a fruitful one; both parties have a vested long-term interest to make it succeed. Now, if only the NHL can yank a few teams from the south and put them back in Canada where they belong!

Agree. Hockey in warmer climate cities never seemed right to me. And while we're at it, give Cleveland a team! We're good fans, trust me!

I would like to see more teams in Canada too..Hamilton, Winnipeg, and Quebec City to name three. But for every Phoenix (which never had solid ownership) or Atlanta (where all professional sports go to die), the NHL is succeeding wildly in Nashville, Carolina, Tampa, Dallas, and San Jose.

Just keeping it real.

Sandra

Agree. Hockey in warmer climate cities never seemed right to me. And while we're at it, give Cleveland a team! We're good fans, trust me!
My problem with the south is that kids don't understand what it is lace-up a pair of skates and play hockey on a frozen pond or backyard rink. Of course, global cooling may solve this problem. Hey, didn't the NHL put a franchise in Cleveland at some distant time in the past?

I would like to see more teams in Canada too..Hamilton, Winnipeg, and Quebec City to name three. But for every Phoenix (which never had solid ownership) or Atlanta (where all professional sports go to die), the NHL is succeeding wildly in Nashville, Carolina, Tampa, Dallas, and San Jose.

Just keeping it real.

Sandra
Yep, I sometimes forget how many northerners now live in places like Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, etc. Heck, probably three-quarters of Detroit's former 2-million residence now live in the south.

Yep, I sometimes forget how many northerners now live in places like Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, etc. Heck, probably three-quarters of Detroit's former 2-million residence now live in the south.

Wasn't it the owner of the California Seals, a long time ago, who assumed his team would be a success because of all the transplanted northerners/Canadiens? After the team folded, he said 'Now I know why they moved here...they all hate hockey'. True story.

Luckily that's not the case in San Jose, Dallas, Tampa, Carolina and Nashville.

Sandra

Wasn't it the owner of the California Seals, a long time ago, who assumed his team would be a success because of all the transplanted northerners/Canadiens? After the team folded, he said 'Now I know why they moved here...they all hate hockey'. True story.

Luckily that's not the case in San Jose, Dallas, Tampa, Carolina and Nashville.

Sandra
Talk about a blast from the past - I haven't heard the name California Golden Seals since I was toddler watching an aging Gordie Howe play. I also just noticed the team moved back east and become the Cleveland Barons. I pride myself on knowing a lot about the NHL, but I'll be darned if I have a single memory of the Cleveland Barons ever playing in the league. Go figure!

My problem with the south is that kids don't understand what it is lace-up a pair of skates and play hockey on a frozen pond or backyard rink. Of course, global cooling may solve this problem. Hey, didn't the NHL put a franchise in Cleveland at some distant time in the past?

a long, long time ago. And only for 2 years ('76-'78). Not nearly enough time to cultivate a lasting team.

Talk about a blast from the past - I haven't heard the name California Golden Seals since I was toddler watching an aging Gordie Howe play. I also just noticed the team moved back east and become the Cleveland Barons. I pride myself on knowing a lot about the NHL, but I'll be darned if I have a single memory of the Cleveland Barons ever playing in the league. Go figure!

They played for 2 measly years as the Barons. I just don't understand how those 2 years can be looked upon as a failure and example why Cleveland will never get a franchise again. Complete BS.

I pride myself on knowing a lot about the NHL, but I'll be darned if I have a single memory of the Cleveland Barons ever playing in the league. Go figure!

I remember watching a game (1977?), when Cleveland played the Bruins at the old Richfield Coliseum. The Barons won the game something like 11-3...and this is when the Bruins were Stanley Cup finalists two years running.

I'm also old enough to remember the Kansas City Scouts who later became the Colorado Rockies who later became the New Jersey Devils! :eek:

I remember watching a game (1977?), when Cleveland played the Bruins at the old Richfield Coliseum. The Barons won the game something like 11-3...and this is when the Bruins were Stanley Cup finalists two years running.

I'm also old enough to remember the Kansas City Scouts who later became the Colorado Rockies who later became the New Jersey Devils! :eek:

LOL Bill you be old. Do you also remember when you were only allowed to pass backward? :D

Sandra

And goalies didn't wear masks??

one_worsley05.jpg

LOL Bill you be old. Do you also remember when you were only allowed to pass backward? :D

Sandra

OUCH!!! That hurts, Sandra!! :) I used to watch Bruins games (with the great Fred Cusick and Johnny Pierson on the call) on an old black and white Zenith! :eek:

It wasn't until 1981 that I discovered gold was in the Bruins color scheme. :eek: :D

Are you a Season Ticket Holder?

Did I miss anything when I was gone?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts