2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Wednesday's Playoff Schedule

Washington at NY Rangers- 7:00pm ET (Versus)- Capitals lead series 2-1

Pittsburgh at Tampa Bay- 7:00pm ET- Penguins lead series 2-1

Philadelphia at Buffalo- 7:30pm ET (JIP on Versus @ approx 9:30)- Flyers lead series 2-1

Anaheim at Nashville- 8:30pm ET- Predators lead series 2-1

Detroit at Phoenix- 10:30pm ET (Versus)- Red Wings lead series 3-0

Philadelphia at Buffalo- 7:30pm ET (JIP on Versus @ approx 9:30)- Flyers lead series 2-1

I hate to say this, but perhaps there are too many good game on this evening. I'm not sure who created the playoff schedule, but I hate when they play five (5) gaves in an evening only to follow it up with two (2) games the next (or even for an entire weekend day/night)...and vice-versa. Regardless, there are several questions in my mind going into this evening's action:

1. Can the Rangers play well enough on home ice to tie their series with the Caps? I'm thinking the Caps go up 3-1 tonight..but not totally convinced.
2. How will Stevie Yzerman's Lightnight respond after losing the home opener with the Pens? I think they will tie-up the series.
3. Philly or Buffalo? I'm leaning toward the Sabres drawing even this evening.
4. Is Nashville advancing to the 2nd round this season? I think so...and they beat the Ducks tonight.
5. Will Detroit sweep Phoenix? I feel the Wings will skate their hardest in order to close this series and get some much needed. Not make teams advance to the Finals after playing 6 and 7 game series.

On a side note, I went ice skating this afternoon with my daughter (9-year old) who is Spring Break. Needless to say, since I am turning 48 this year (and have deferred knee replacement surgery the past several years) I am now sitting here with an ice pack. On a positive note, my daugher has never seen me skate (due to knee problems) and she was impressed; she told me that I skated better than Happy Gilmore. :eek: :D

I hate to say this, but perhaps there are too many good game on this evening. I'm not sure who created the playoff schedule, but I hate when they play five (5) gaves in an evening only to follow it up with two (2) games the next (or even for an entire weekend day/night)...and vice-versa. Regardless, there are several questions in my mind going into this evening's action:

1. Can the Rangers play well enough on home ice to tie their series with the Caps? I'm thinking the Caps go up 3-1 tonight..but not totally convinced.
2. How will Stevie Yzerman's Lightnight respond after losing the home opener with the Pens? I think they will tie-up the series.
4. Is Nashville advancing to the 2nd round this season? I think so...and they beat the Ducks tonight.
5. Will Detroit sweep Phoenix? I feel the Wings will skate their hardest in order to close this series and get some much needed. Not make teams advance to the Finals after playing 6 and 7 game series.

As usual, great synopsis Jim! :up

I do think the Red Wings complete the sweep this evening, but I think the Penguins go up 3-1.

2012 Winter Classic: How About Rangers-Red Wings at The Big House?

OK, not related to the Stanley Cup Playoffs but I came across this blog earlier today and had the same thought a couple months back. So is this a good idea or bad idea? Offhand, there is no doubt they would pack 112,000+ fans into the Big House (like they did to watch Michigan play Michigan State) to watch the Wings play the Rangers so I think this would be great for the NHL.

2012 Winter Classic: How About Rangers-Red Wings at The Big House?

Great games going on tonight:

Caps-Rangers in OT

Pens-Lightning headed to OT

Sabres clinging to 1-0 third period lead over the Flyers

Preds-Ducks tied at 2 in the second period

Last edited:
Bettman is not perfect, but a statement like this is absolutely ridiculous. Fatal flaw? Seriously?

Do you remember even a little bit what the sport was like in the early 2000's? The league had to enter into a time-share agreement with ABC, where they had to sell their own commercials. No rights fee whatsoever. Now NBC is paying the league $200 million/year for ten years. Still think Bettman is a fatal flaw?

In the early 2000's the league was in serious trouble. There was speculation that the leauge would not survive. Payroll was going up, and rights fees were going down. The lockout was painful, but we came out on the other side with better hockey thanks to a host of new rules, a better TV contract, and the fact that the league is again relevant. Still think Bettman is a fatal flaw?

A fatal flaw because there are a few games in the first round that are not televised nationally? Jeez...

Sandra

Can't wait till you can't see the Finals ....

On a side note, I went ice skating this afternoon with my daughter (9-year old) who is Spring Break. Needless to say, since I am turning 48 this year (and have deferred knee replacement surgery the past several years) I am now sitting here with an ice pack. On a positive note, my daugher has never seen me skate (due to knee problems) and she was impressed; she told me that I skated better than Happy Gilmore. :eek: :D

On the other side of things, the Wings have had years where they have a short series and end up with over a WEEK off then come out the next series rusty....
It all depends on how the NHL decided to put thier schedule together.

The Filthy Flyers get blanked again! Miller made a GREAT stop on Dirty Danny Brierre to keep in that way in the third.

The end of this game proves why Philadelphia has the most classless teams all of sports.

F The Flyers!!!!!!!!

Here again, MAJOR issues, you have 2 channels to show 4 games at the same time.
Doesn't look like a very smart use of your NHL Hockey television contract.

Currently we have 3 games going with 2 in OT and you can only see 1 game.

Wings score early again against Phoenix, on another great play by Datsuk.
Coyotes score on a shot deflected off the Wings D and gets thru the 5 hole ....

1-1 about 8 minutes gone in period 1

As Mickey Redmond said, "the Hockey Gods are smiling on Phoenix tonight".

they scored again, this one ALSO off a deflection off another skate.

2-1 Phoenix

Thursday's Playoff Schedule

Boston at Montreal- 7:00pm ET (Versus)- Canadiens lead series 2-1

Chicago at Vancouver- 10:00pm ET (Versus)- Canucks lead series 3-1

San Jose at Los Angeles- 10:30pm ET- Sharks lead series 2-1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)