2013 MLB Postseason

Now you're coming around. It's just another benefit of achieving HFA!!! :up

Never stated it wasn't in this situation. This is also a unique situation where a 1 game playoff is needed. It could have also occurred between two division winners with no chance of a WC. Giving the #2 or #3 seed an advantage when they play the winner of that tie breaker game.

The Cards don't have an advantage playing 1 of 2 teams they have seen all year instead of playing the Braves or banged up Dodgers. They will probably advance no matter who they play, but they will probably have an easier time against the Braves or Dodgers.

But it doesn't change the FACT that it statistically and historically has not provided an advantage at all. #1 seeds are just as likely historically and statistically to advance as the #4 seed. So playing for it provides no advantage for advancing, practically at the risk of injury.

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Ouch. The Tigers first two games are at 9:30 and 9:00pm eastern. That is to be expected playing at Oakland but it's still tough on us eastern time zone people.

I was going to point that out. That sucks for those in Detroit. I would just record the game and watch it the next day if I was in that situation.

It is even worse for Atlanta being that it starts LOCALLY at 8:30. Imagine going to a game that doesn't start until 8:30.

I think Cosmo himself said it best several days ago (and I paraphrase)...."it's home field advantage, not home field GUARANTEE".

Ouch. The Tigers first two games are at 9:30 and 9:00pm eastern. That is to be expected playing at Oakland but it's still tough on us eastern time zone people.

Mother Fudger! The Red Wings finally move out of the Western Conference (no more midnight playoff games) and now this!!! Don't these people know I get up for work at 4:00 AM? ;)

I was going to point that out. That sucks for those in Detroit. I would just record the game and watch it the next day if I was in that situation.

It is even worse for Atlanta being that it starts LOCALLY at 8:30. Imagine going to a game that doesn't start until 8:30.

I can, and I have. I'm always more than happy to sacrifice a couple of hours sleep to see me MY team in the postseason.

I can, and I have. I'm always more than happy to sacrifice a couple of hours sleep to see me MY team in the postseason.

Oh yeah. There were many October nights in 2004 and 2007 that I didn't get to bed until 1:00 am. I've managed to catch up on my sleep in the off years...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I think Cosmo himself said it best several days ago (and I paraphrase)...."it's home field advantage, not home field GUARANTEE".
Best???
Red Herrings do not a counter argument make.

Nothing is guaranteed and nowhere was such a claim made.

My entire premise is based solely on advantage, not guarantee.

I still don't see why this is so difficult for people to grasp. There is no ADVANTAGE to seeding in baseball. No matter which seed you are in you are just as likely to advance. I have shown evidence of this fact over and over and over again.

Well, actually I do understand why people are reluctant to accept this fact. Often no amount of of evidence can convince people to go against what they believe, dogma, condition, or anecdotal bias.

I am just now catching up on the game so my updates are way behind. I don't think that Longoria HR would have gone out in any other park.

The Rangers seemed to have stopped their ridiculous antics once they reach base. No more antlers and whatever else they used to use!!!!

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Best???
Red Herrings do not a counter argument make.

Nothing is guaranteed and nowhere was such a claim made.

My entire premise is based solely on advantage, not guarantee.

I still don't see why this is so difficult for people to grasp. There is no ADVANTAGE to seeding in baseball. No matter which seed you are in you are just as likely to advance. I have shown evidence of this fact over and over and over again.

Well, actually I do understand why people are reluctant to accept this fact. Often no amount of of evidence can convince people to go against what they believe, dogma, condition, or anecdotal bias.

And once again I'll ask you, EVERYTHING BEING EQUAL (health and rest aside) would you rather the Dodgers play an elimination game at home or on the road? This has ALWAYS been the premise to my argument, so yes Cosmo did say it best because there are no guarantees!

Now that I think about it. The Rays aren't due to play the Sox until Friday should they advance. This means Price could start game #1 giving them their best possible matchups. It may not be as much of an advantage as previously thought.

In fact it maybe a disadvantage to playing the Tigers instead, assuming the Rays advance.

And once again I'll ask you, EVERYTHING BEING EQUAL (health and rest aside) would you rather the Dodgers play an elimination game at home or on the road? This has ALWAYS been the premise to my argument, so yes Cosmo did say it best because there are no guarantees!

Doesn't matter. Historically it hasn't made much of a difference.

From the 10 year stretch from 2001 to 2011, the road team won 11 of 18 decisive games in post season.

Last edited:
Scheduled at 8:30 or started late due to a delay?

I attended an A's-Red Sox ALDS game n 2003 that started at 8:15 pm, and have been to several Celtics NBA Finals games that started at 9:00 pm. I have zero complaints about any of them.

I attended an A's-Red Sox ALDS game n 2003 that started at 8:15 pm, and have been to several Celtics NBA Finals games that started at 9:00 pm. I have zero complaints about any of them.
Interesting. Didn't think they scheduled start times that late on the east coast.

Still better than those 8pm west coast start times. ;)

Last edited:
Finally caught up in the game. These games go fast without commercials. :)

The Cards don't have an advantage playing 1 of 2 teams they have seen all year instead of playing the Braves or banged up Dodgers.
I thought they were from Los Angeles.

But it doesn't change the FACT that it statistically and historically has not provided an advantage at all. #1 seeds are just as likely historically and statistically to advance as the #4 seed. So playing for it provides no advantage for advancing, practically at the risk of injury.

I never questioned the statistics and history you have endlessly provided here, but honestly I don't give a sh*t about them because that's never been the actual argument.

What real fan wouldn't want their team to start a series at home, play a potential deciding game at home, get the last at bat in those games, and as mentioned earlier, possibly face an opponent weakened by playing extra games and travelling?? These are clearly advantages to the home team and as many have stated here are worth playing for. When you are more concerned about the 'risk of injury', maybe its time to go home.

Does every team with HFA win?? Obviously not. A lot of teams could have played every game at home and they still wouldn't win. But, to dismiss the benefits of HFA strictly because of the statistics and history is downright foolish.

Oh believe me, I'll be watching every pitch live. It may make for late nights and rough mornings at work but you never know how many postseason games you are going to get. I'll be happy when the series gets to Detroit though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)