2015 NCAA football discussion thread

Week 14 PLAYOFF Top 10: 1 CLEMSON 2 ALABAMA 3 OKLAHOMA 4 IOWA ----- 5 Michigan State 6 Ohio State 7 Stanford 8 Notre Dame 9 FSU 10 UNC

Some seem to think that with a loss to UNC, Clemson stays in at #4. Not sure I buy that because the loss is slightly "worse" than Ohio State's. Clemson's quality wins would be Fsu and Nd, where Oh St only has one (Michigan).

I feel bad for those guys if UNC wins LOL.

Sagarin SoS for OS is 61 and 47 for Clemson. Not an easy decision...

I would figure the Rose. Is that not where the highest rated team would go if the champ goes to the playoffs? I assume they say the Rose takes OSU instead?
Its gonna come down to weather Ohio State moves above the Big Ten loser in the polls or not, if they do they will more than likely go to the Rose, if not, anywhere is possible.

And the new playoff rankings are Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma, and Iowa.

Like I had said before, Bama's spot was never in question if they won out.

And I really don't see any movement next week unless Mich state replaces Iowa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Week 14 PLAYOFF Top 10: 1 CLEMSON 2 ALABAMA 3 OKLAHOMA 4 IOWA ----- 5 Michigan State 6 Ohio State 7 Stanford 8 Notre Dame 9 FSU 10 UNC

Some seem to think that with a loss to UNC, Clemson stays in at #4. Not sure I buy that because the loss is slightly "worse" than Ohio State's. Clemson's quality wins would be Fsu and Nd, where Oh St only has one (Michigan).

I feel bad for those guys if UNC wins LOL.

Sagarin SoS for OS is 61 and 47 for Clemson. Not an easy decision...
I was wondering also earlier if Clemson lost, how far would they drop.
They would be another 1 loss team just like most others .... now if Clemson loses a not close game, then yes they would drop out for sure, if they lose close, it could be interesting.
Ohio State lost in the last second of the game on a FG, IF that makes any difference (how teams played that lost) I would also put ND in the same situation, lost game with no time on a FG, however, they have 2 losses now.

And the new playoff rankings are Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma, and Iowa.

Like I had said before, Bama's spot was never in question if they won out.

And I really don't see any movement next week unless Mich state replaces Iowa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or if Bama loses or Clemson loses or .....

I was wondering also earlier if Clemson lost, how far would they drop.
They would be another 1 loss team just like most others .... now if Clemson loses a not close game, then yes they would drop out for sure, if they lose close, it could be interesting.
Ohio State lost in the last second of the game on a FG, IF that makes any difference (how teams played that lost) I would also put ND in the same situation, lost game with no time on a FG, however, they have 2 losses now.

Yeah, I think ND doesnt have a shot, it'd be Clemson or Oh St IMO. Granted people would freak out if UNC beats Clemson even if its close and Clemson landed 4. Also, if Clemson loses to UNC is potentially bumps FSU out of the Peach.

It's a clusterscrew if UNC wins.

My choice, if not much changed and Iowa lost, would be Iowa FSU. But that is slim to none.

Yeah, I think ND doesnt have a shot, it'd be Clemson or Oh St IMO. Granted people would freak out if UNC beats Clemson even if its close and Clemson landed 4. Also, if Clemson loses to UNC is potentially bumps FSU out of the Peach.

It's a clusterscrew if UNC wins.

My choice, if not much changed and Iowa lost, would be Iowa FSU. But that is slim to none.
I don't see any way that NC with a win over Clemson would make the top 4, although those on TV were speculating about it possibly happening.
NC is ranked 10 currently.

What would be really interesting is if both Clemson and Bama lost, THEN what ?

This is the first I've seen people talking about Clemson staying in even if they lose; of course, they wouldn't be #1, but I still see them staying in, especially if they lose by a touchdown or less.

It would be a fun thing for the committee.

I'm hoping it happens. :)

I don't see any way that NC with a win over Clemson would make the top 4, although those on TV were speculating about it possibly happening.
NC is ranked 10 currently.

What would be really interesting is if both Clemson and Bama lost, THEN what ?

If Clemson and Bama both lose, I would say:

1: Oklahoma
2: MSU/Iowa
3: Clemson
4: Ohio State/Stanford (Barring outcome of Stanford/USC game (and how much Stanford wins by, assuming they win)

If Clemson and Bama both lose, I would say:

1: Oklahoma
2: MSU/Iowa
3: Clemson
4: Ohio State/Stanford (Barring outcome of Stanford/USC game (and how much Stanford wins by, assuming they win)
So if Clemson loses they still make it ?

They would be no better than any other 1 loss team at that point.
Was thier schedule harder than any other 1 loss team, I don't see that, I guess you'd have to look at each 1 loss team and decide from there.
If Clemson lost a real close game, I could see them staying in the top 4, but thats it.

A one loss non conference champ will not get in over a one loss champion of the same conference, especially if said conference champ just won the head to head matchup. The committee would be disbanded.

And Cochran too. Wonder if Pruitt comes back to bama?
Seeing how Smart and Pruitt didn't get along at Alabama, it's a foregone conclusion that Pruitt will leave. Which is bad, as Georgia's defense was the bright spot of the season. I really hope the Smart hire doesn't turn into a Florida Musgrave situation., as Georgia's offense has been horrendous, and won't get any better if/when Eason backs off his commitment (Smart has been said to favor a spread offense, and Eason is on record as wanting a pro style offense that Richt favors).

Pruitt has been rumored for the USC(e) job since Kirby is out of the picture.

Meanwhile, lots of schools have been calling Richt. He interviewed for the Maryland job, and Mizzou has called him up. Be interesting if/when USC(e) comes calling. Low expectations, and he knows the recruiting territory. That's probably the worst case situation for UGA (Richt, Pruitt, and Eason headed to Columbia).

I would figure the Rose. Is that not where the highest rated team would go if the champ goes to the playoffs? I assume they say the Rose takes OSU instead?

If Iowa loses to MSU they would most likely drop below Ohio St. It's looking like Ohio St. would go to the Rose Bowl and Iowa to the Peach or something similar.

The struggle for Iowa is that no one likes them or respects them. If they can't beat MSU they will probably drop to 8th or 9th. I don't know why everyone dislikes Iowa so much, generally the nation likes a good underdog team.

Last edited:
Seeing how Smart and Pruitt didn't get along at Alabama, it's a foregone conclusion that Pruitt will leave. Which is bad, as Georgia's defense was the bright spot of the season. I really hope the Smart hire doesn't turn into a Florida Musgrave situation., as Georgia's offense has been horrendous, and won't get any better if/when Eason backs off his commitment (Smart has been said to favor a spread offense, and Eason is on record as wanting a pro style offense that Richt favors).

Pruitt has been rumored for the USC(e) job since Kirby is out of the picture.

Meanwhile, lots of schools have been calling Richt. He interviewed for the Maryland job, and Mizzou has called him up. Be interesting if/when USC(e) comes calling. Low expectations, and he knows the recruiting territory. That's probably the worst case situation for UGA (Richt, Pruitt, and Eason headed to Columbia).

Richt to Miami has some legs.

Also here is a good breakdown of the Smart poaching session:

Georgia: Kirby Smart will be Georgia’s next head coach, the AJC has reported and FootballScoop has been told the same. The deal isn’t expected to be final until after the SEC Championship game per source. Sources tell FootballScoop that Jeremy Pruitt will not be retained and is expected to be targeted by Alabama to fill Smart’s position. We have been told that Smart hopes to bring Will Muschamp as his defensive coordinator however this is not a done deal (ole Muschamp might have other things working…). We wrote earlier in the day about Glen Schumann. Georgia fans, get to know him. He’s coming…unless Nick does something BIG. We are told to expect Alabama strength coach Scott Cochran to come with Smart to Georgia. Source tells FootballScoop that Kirby hopes to retain sam linebackers coach Kevin Sherrer. We were also told to expect Smart to retain Bryan McClendon and Thomas Brown. More on the pending hire here.

footballscoop.com

I personally hope Pruitt lands somewhere out in the cold. I hate that guy.

This is the first I've seen people talking about Clemson staying in even if they lose; of course, they wouldn't be #1, but I still see them staying in, especially if they lose by a touchdown or less.

It would be a fun thing for the committee.

I'm hoping it happens. :)
I dont. If they had lost early in the season they never would be in the top 5 to begin with. What do they have anyway? A win over always overrated ND? And a late season loss is supposed to be much more devastating than an early one. I was not sold on the ACC last year and not this year either. I think teams of Mich ST, Ohio St and Oklahoma etc would throttle them. Too much credit is given for going undefeated in that conference. FSU proved that last year, of course they didnt win a lot of games convincingly. But if ND is a measuring stick, in that game last year with FSU then Clemson = last year FSU + horrible late call in the end zone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)