2016 Hopper3 Press Release

Scott, with USB 3.0 is there still the limit of 2GB external hard drive with it's own power supply? Also with the quad viewing, can that be done with a non 4K tv, or do you need 4K?

Now that they're planning on 4K broadcasts, can we expect the compression and artifacts to get any better on regular 1080p broadcasts? I've been very dissatisfied over the last couple years with HD broadcasts on DISH specifically for sports and live events.

The picture is dramatically better OTA than through my Hopper 2.

1) Will the Hopper 3 allow Dish Anywhere to access the contents stored on external hard drives? Currently it does not.
Don't know. I will ask today.

2) Will the Hopper 3 allow us to have more than 5 folders so we can organize our archived content?
Not sure how many folders it will allow. ANother question I will ask.[/quote]

3) Currently the Joey has a slow response. Will the Hopper 3 speed up the slow Joey response since the Hopper 3 has a 7 times faster processor? Or will the Joey remain slow due to hardware limitations? I currently have 2 Hopper 2 units and 1 Regular Joey. I would replace my 2 Hopper 2 and 1 Joey units with a Hopper 3 and and 2 Joey units but I would need to make sure that the Joey units were not slow.
I answered this earlier and heard a RUMOR that those getting an H3 will have their original replaced with a Joey 2.0 which has a faster processor.

4) I currently have 2 external hard drives on my 1 hopper 2 and 1 external hard drive on my other Hopper 2. With the new USB 3 port, can I plug in a USB hub and connect all 3 drives to the new Hopper 3?
I believe the answer is yes, as I was talking to someone yesterday who had two external hard drives hooked up and he said they were working fine. So I BELIEVE it will work.

Now that they're planning on 4K broadcasts, can we expect the compression and artifacts to get any better on regular 1080p broadcasts? I've been very dissatisfied over the last couple years with HD broadcasts on DISH specifically for sports and live events.

The picture is dramatically better OTA than through my Hopper 2.
Doubtful, I do some work from time to time at ESPN and I see stuff like that coming in from the trucks to ESPN. Also there are no 1080p broadcasts. ESPN is 720p as are most other sports stations, that is the way they are transmitted to everyone not just to dish.

Disappointing they didn't increase the HDD size from the HWS model. Otherwise a nice looking machine.
From all the Hoppers out there they said that the majority of people don't even use 25% of the space on the drive, thus no reason to spend money for a bigger drive that most wont use. The nice part is, need more space plug in a hard drive in the USB 3 port. :D

Reactions: gasman882001
From all the Hoppers out there they said that the majority of people don't even use 25% of the space on the drive, thus no reason to spend money for a bigger drive that most wont use. The nice part is, need more space plug in a hard drive in the USB 3 port. :D

That is true... I wonder how reliable these things will be off the get go. So far the HWS's i've got are doing well.

Can you see if the new UI integrates the extnernal HDD recordings into the "DVR" or search list. Does the new UI allow you to mark it for archive when recording it? With USB 3.0 EHDD a seamless integration should be possible.

That is true... I wonder how reliable these things will be off the get go. So far the HWS's i've got are doing well.
I have heard they are rather stable except for the sports bar mode which they are still tweaking. Of course they have a lot more they want to add to it (they didnt tell me what) but since they have to get it out this month those things will have to wait. :D

Scott, can you check to see it the one Hopper 3 restriction will be lifted later on? I can see where some families would want a second Hopper 3 for their children. I personally would want at least two Hopper 3s for backup reasons. Thanks for the CES coverage. Outstanding job.

Doubtful, I do some work from time to time at ESPN and I see stuff like that coming in from the trucks to ESPN. Also there are no 1080p broadcasts. ESPN is 720p as are most other sports stations, that is the way they are transmitted to everyone not just to dish.

I love Dish, I love the Hopper, I love DishAnywhere. This is why I stick around, but I hate hate hate watching live events on my Dish service. Out of curiosity is DirecTV any better in HD quality or is it a problem with all Satellite bandwidth that causes artifacts?

Scott, if you have the chance, time and inclination, please ask how much faster in the real world a transfer from an H3 to an (EHD) using the USB3 port is, compared to the HWS. (And any differences in iPad transfers).

Edited part in parentheses.

Last edited:
Scott, if you have the chance, time and inclination, please ask how much faster in the real world a transfer from an H3 to an iPad using the USB3 port is, compared to the HWS.
Chances are there will be no difference since only the iPad Pro has USB 3.0 chips onboard. Now, it's possible the faster Broadcom CPU will help speed things up, but there will still be USB 2.0 limits on most iPads.

There are two parts, which I conflated. USB3 to EHD and iPad transfers. That's what I get for typing too fast.

BTW, I know the press release says ten times faster, but I was hoping for a real world figure, not theoretical.

In retrospect, it is foolish of me to expect them to say anything other than what is in the press release, so my request is withdrawn. We will find out when folks here post.

I am going to upgrade as soon as I can. I have 2 hoppers, both 90+% full. So I will need to use external HD. I would hope the new USB3 external HD integration will be more seamless.

My question is on the outputs of the H3.

My new OLED TV has an HDCP 2.2 input (yea!), but my two year old Denon will not pass that along. Will the H3 have TWO HDMI outputs so that I can send one directly to the HDCP 2.2 for viewing 4K and another to my Denon for regular viewing?

My question is on the outputs of the H3.

My new OLED TV has an HDCP 2.2 input (yea!), but my two year old Denon will not pass that along. Will the H3 have TWO HDMI outputs so that I can send one directly to the HDCP 2.2 for viewing 4K and another to my Denon for regular viewing?

I had the same question and got no response. Id guess no on dual HDMI outs, at least the players will have that option. If an when Dish gets any UHD channels I would just run an optical cable or buy an AVR guess.

Reactions: Foxbat
From all the Hoppers out there they said that the majority of people don't even use 25% of the space on the drive
That's what people here don't get - "we" are not your typical Dish customer. I doubt many customers even consider using an external HDD with their DVR yet many people seem to believe everyone uses them. 90% of people don't back up their computers, so how many you think will back up stuff from TV ??? I have an external HDD hooked up but it hasn't been powered on since the first 2-3 weeks after we got our Hopper w/Sling (I backed up some stuff from our original Hopper).

Reactions: Tampa8
Hopper 3 contains 16 tuners, more than any other DVR in the world. The expansion makes it easy for viewers to watch shows in multiple rooms, view live programs remotely via DISH Anywhere and set multiple recordings, all at the same time and without the need to manage conflicts or cancel timers.
All of this talk about 16 tuners but has it been explicitly stated that one can do 16 recordings at the same time ? I bolded Dish's own words where they only indicate "multiple" recordings, not 16. Is that cleverly worded by their marketing people ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)