2016 Hopper3 Press Release

All of this talk about 16 tuners but has it been explicitly stated that one can do 16 recordings at the same time ? I bolded Dish's own words where they only indicate "multiple" recordings, not 16. Is that cleverly worded by their marketing people ?

As Scott said in an earlier post you can actually record 20 things with PTAT and an OTA tuner.

Now that they're planning on 4K broadcasts, can we expect the compression and artifacts to get any better on regular 1080p broadcasts? I've been very dissatisfied over the last couple years with HD broadcasts on DISH specifically for sports and live events.

The picture is dramatically better OTA than through my Hopper 2.

There are no 1080P broadcasts, not sure what you are referring to. Also have no idea what you mean by problems with live events? How is a live event different from a recorded one? You see a difference between a live show and a recorded one where the live show does not look as good?

That's what people here don't get - "we" are not your typical Dish customer. I doubt many customers even consider using an external HDD with their DVR yet many people seem to believe everyone uses them. 90% of people don't back up their computers, so how many you think will back up stuff from TV ??? I have an external HDD hooked up but it hasn't been powered on since the first 2-3 weeks after we got our Hopper w/Sling (I backed up some stuff from our original Hopper).

I think you have a point. I don't personally know many people who record stuff like I do. I've had my Hopper for one year now and had almost filled the 2 TB hard drive within 3-4 months. Many movies, TV episodes, documentaries, music clips from Sirius, etc., have me constantly battling that red lettering that alerts of more than 90% filled. I could easily use a 4 TB machine if they made one. LOL

Add an external hard drive up to 2TB for more storage. The Hopper can handle two EHDs'.

I'm in the process of getting a replacement Hopper for my faulty one (failing hard drive). So I did order one "My Book" 2 TV EHD to transfer my recordings. Once I have the new Hopper I'll just keep this content on the EHD -- and begin the task of filling up the new internal hard drive. Could be that a 2nd EHD will be in my future.

Many movies, TV episodes, documentaries, music clips from Sirius, etc., have me constantly battling that red lettering that alerts of more than 90% filled.
Red letter alerts ? I guess that means I've never seen it, huh ? We record a pretty decent amount, or so I thought. We also delete stuff after watching it and don't keep it just in case we think we might want to watch it again.

Ours is 49% full with 181 recordings right now... I've never seen it over 60% that I can recall.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

From all the Hoppers out there they said that the majority of people don't even use 25% of the space on the drive, thus no reason to spend money for a bigger drive that most wont use. The nice part is, need more space plug in a hard drive in the USB 3 port. :D
I keep very little on my Hopper's internal drive because I know I'll loose it if the Hopper dies. Without some form of redundancy in the internal disk system I don't see a need for a larger drive unless you want to risk loosing even more material when things go south.

The external drive is problematic since you can't see content from DishAnywhere. But putting content on an external RAID is bar better than leaving it on the internal.

Dish should make the external drive a more transparent extension to the internal drive, and also allow for redundant storage. I understand content providers dislike a DVR making a COPY of a recording, but maybe the copy can be hidden until either the Hopper dies and is replaced by a new on on the account, or the internal copy is deleted. Deleting content with an redundant and hidden copy could alert the user and ask of both copies should be deleted or just the internal one.

Scott, can you check to see it the one Hopper 3 restriction will be lifted later on? I can see where some families would want a second Hopper 3 for their children. I personally would want at least two Hopper 3s for backup reasons. Thanks for the CES coverage. Outstanding job.
There are no plans as it maxes out the LNB.

My question is on the outputs of the H3.

My new OLED TV has an HDCP 2.2 input (yea!), but my two year old Denon will not pass that along. Will the H3 have TWO HDMI outputs so that I can send one directly to the HDCP 2.2 for viewing 4K and another to my Denon for regular viewing?
The H3 only has one HDMI output.

I love Dish, I love the Hopper, I love DishAnywhere. This is why I stick around, but I hate hate hate watching live events on my Dish service. Out of curiosity is DirecTV any better in HD quality or is it a problem with all Satellite bandwidth that causes artifacts?
It depends but providers use Variable Bit Rate Encoding, where everything on the transponder is judged at the same time and the encoder decides which channel or the 8 to 14 channels on the transponder gets the most bandwith, and its aways changing based on what kind of action is being shown on the screen.

I have also been doing some work at ESPN, and I can tell you some of the feeds they get in 720p do not always look good. That is out of their control as each truck is different that they use. I remember when ESPN use to have their own fleet now they just rent them.

If your watching DISH on one tv and the same show on DIRECTV on another TV you will notice that sometimes one looks better then the other and vice versa, this is the reason why.

Scott, if you have the chance, time and inclination, please ask how much faster in the real world a transfer from an H3 to an (EHD) using the USB3 port is, compared to the HWS. (And any differences in iPad transfers).

Edited part in parentheses.
Up to 7 times faster. :)

But remember the device your transfering to must support USB 3.0 too or you will see no speed increase.

All of this talk about 16 tuners but has it been explicitly stated that one can do 16 recordings at the same time ? I bolded Dish's own words where they only indicate "multiple" recordings, not 16. Is that cleverly worded by their marketing people ?
Are black hellicopters flying over your head. It can record 16 things at the same time wihtout any issue. Saw a demo of this today.

Reactions: Foxbat and KE4EST
Red letter alerts ? I guess that means I've never seen it, huh ? We record a pretty decent amount, or so I thought. We also delete stuff after watching it and don't keep it just in case we think we might want to watch it again.

Ours is 49% full with 181 recordings right now... I've never seen it over 60% that I can recall.

The "Red Letter Alert," as I call it, is a message that comes up in red when you press the DVR button. If the internal hard drive is 90% full, or more, it will give this warning so the consumer is aware that the HD is almost filled up. I just pressed my DVR button and it currently shows: (in the customary blue font) "Your Hard Drive is 88% Full with 2023 Recordings."

I have over 1,000 clips from the Sirius XM channels with hundreds of songs, along with 167 movies, uncounted series episodes, docus, etc. In my case, it doesn't take long to fill 'er up. LOL

It depends but providers use Variable Bit Rate Encoding, where everything on the transponder is judged at the same time and the encoder decides which channel or the 8 to 14 channels on the transponder gets the most bandwith, and its aways changing based on what kind of action is being shown on the screen.

I have also been doing some work at ESPN, and I can tell you some of the feeds they get in 720p do not always look good. That is out of their control as each truck is different that they use. I remember when ESPN use to have their own fleet now they just rent them.

If your watching DISH on one tv and the same show on DIRECTV on another TV you will notice that sometimes one looks better then the other and vice versa, this is the reason why.
I was switching between two bowl games a few days ago. I can't remember the crappy one (picture-wise) but the Pinstripe Bowl set in Yankee Stadium was an eye popper! Truly marvelous picture.

With kids, both of my Hoppers continually stay over 90% full. I always have to go through and delete recordings. There are movies I like to keep and tons of shows I save for my kids. The kids are the ones that have the most recordings. I think I have around 900 recordings on one Hopper.

you should see mine my stepdad complains to me i have over 190 shows of the mollie b polka party i have to transfer all of those as soon as i get the new hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)