2016 Hopper3 Press Release

OK, maybe I misread one of these H3 threads, but I thought I read that all 16 tuners could be viewed at once. I am guessing the only way to do that is if (1) the H3 is in sports mode taking up 6 tuners, and you have 5 4K Joeys all in PIP mode taking up the other 10.
I think the H3 does 4 separate tuners in the "sports bar" mode. That would make sense, because it would leave 12 tuners to be spread across the max number of Joeys (6) which, if they all were 4k Joeys, can each do PIP, requiring 2 tuners feeding each. That way, every viewing location in the house (7 total) will be able to watch unique content, all at the same time. Pretty impressive!!

Reactions: TheKrell
Don't forget about recordings as well. I know you're talking about live viewing, but who has 16 tvs? This just makes it easier to avoid conflicts with watching and recording, even in sports bar mode. My interpretation.

Scott, I'm planning on switching from directv back to dish once the H3 comes out. Since I'll need 4 joeys will I be able to request 4 4K joeys? Or will there be a limit I can get?

Scott, I'm planning on switching from directv back to dish once the H3 comes out. Since I'll need 4 joeys will I be able to request 4 4K joeys? Or will there be a limit I can get?
I think that you will need 4K TV sets on those four locations to actually order four 4K Joeys. You could, of course buy your own....

I have a question, I have a Hopper 1 now. If I get the Hopper 3, can I basically move the contents of the Hopper 1 to a external hard drive? Will a internal hd that is powered externally and connected with a IDE/SATA to USB 3.0 cable like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...87zjFNud9i2Tl_73u-IAYaAjDQ8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds work for this purpose? And the external HDD or SSD will then connect to the Hopper 3 so I can access the content? Is there anyway to transfer the content back to the Hopper 3's internal HDD?

I have a question, I have a Hopper 1 now. If I get the Hopper 3, can I basically move the contents of the Hopper 1 to a external hard drive? Will a internal hd that is powered externally and connected with a IDE/SATA to USB 3.0 cable like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...87zjFNud9i2Tl_73u-IAYaAjDQ8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds work for this purpose? And the external HDD or SSD will then connect to the Hopper 3 so I can access the content? Is there anyway to transfer the content back to the Hopper 3's internal HDD?

I can't say for sure on whether the adapter you linked will work (I think it probably would, being externally powered), but that said, you are correct on the rest of it. You'll connect the EHD to your current Hopper, transfer your recordings to the EHD. Then, when you get your H3, plug in the EHD, and you can either watch the recordings directly from the EHD, or you can transfer them to the H3 internal storage. You can do either one you prefer! :)

Reactions: Almighty1
I thought I read on one of these posts that you'll be able to connect your hopper3 to your older hopper (via Ethernet?) and transfer recordings directly. Rather than do the whole EHD upload/download steps. Am I delusional?

I thought I read on one of these posts that you'll be able to connect your hopper3 to your older hopper (via Ethernet?) and transfer recordings directly. Rather than do the whole EHD upload/download steps. Am I delusional?
That feature is still in testing and may not be in the initial release. You don't have to copy your recordings from the EHD to the new Hopper. They can be played back from the EHD.

You read that correctly. The Dish guy, Vivek, mentioned it in his interview with Scott. I do seem to recall that he said it was something they planned to make work and that it's not 100% at the moment though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)