2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

Buckeyes just started the HEART of thier schedule, including Penn State, they have Michigan State (ya never know which MSU shows up), Michigan and if they win out, they'll have the BT Championship game against more than likely #9 Wisconsin. Hopefully ichigan gets thier act together and starts moving up. It won't help if they are in the low 15-25 range by the time the Buckeyes play them.

This is why I HATE playing those Big games in the first few weeks of the season ... going into a new year, you really don't know what you have ... Make the Big games week 4 or later and you'll find better games.
Your playing a bunch of new guys in those first several weeks that may not have played before on the college level.
In Buckeyes case they had 3/4th of thier Defensive secendary that was new.
It takes time to gell ... They are lightyears better now than they were then.

And yet teams who don’t play games like that get criticized. It’s good for tv but not really that good for the teams.

This is why I HATE playing those Big games in the first few weeks of the season ... going into a new year, you really don't know what you have ... Make the Big games week 4 or later and you'll find better games.
Never been a problem for Alabama.

And yet teams who don’t play games like that get criticized. It’s good for tv but not really that good for the teams.
Actually I think it is good for the teams.

If you win, it energizes the team, or so it has seemed for Alabama in years past.
If you lose, you lose early, and it lets you know what you need to fix at a point that the seasons playoff hopes are still salvageable.

The only thing I would change about these big games to kickoff, is make them home and home instead of neutral site. I understand why they do it, but I would much prefer them to be played on campus.

Actually I think it is good for the teams.

If you win, it energizes the team, or so it has seemed for Alabama in years past.
If you lose, you lose early, and it lets you know what you need to fix at a point that the seasons playoff hopes are still salvageable.

The only thing I would change about these big games to kickoff, is make them home and home instead of neutral site. I understand why they do it, but I would much prefer them to be played on campus.

I see why some would like it but I hate how some will hold it against the teams that don't want to schedule those types of games.

I see why some would like it but I hate how some will hold it against the teams that don't want to schedule those types of games.
It should be held against them. If your not willing to play quality opponents early when other teams are willing to do it, then that's a negative against you.

It should be held against them. If your not willing to play quality opponents early when other teams are willing to do it, then that's a negative against you.

I disagree. What I dislike the most is when a team schedules a big game early but then schedules a cupcake team late in the season. I think it proves a lot more when you're playing the big games at the end of the year when your team should be at it's best. Alabama will get some of those weak games in at the end of the year and I don't care for that.

I disagree. What I dislike the most is when a team schedules a big game early but then schedules a cupcake team late in the season. I think it proves a lot more when you're playing the big games at the end of the year when your team should be at it's best. Alabama will get some of those weak games in at the end of the year and I don't care for that.
Don't they play Aubarn at the end of the year?

Don't they play Aubarn at the end of the year?

They play Mercer their second last game of the year. I didn't mean the very last game, just games towards the end of the year. This is when other teams are usually fighting to get into their conference championship.

Last year they played Chattanooga. The year before it was Charleston Southern. The year before that it was Western Carolina. These were all played in week 11 and are almost a bye for them as they can start their back ups the majority of the game.

Never been a problem for Alabama.
And Bama plays all those games in their home ... they never would play an Oklahoma on the road .... it's too far out of their comfort zone of the South East.

When Bama starts scheduling games that are not more than an hour away let me know .... (I know, they played a game in Dallas awhile back)
I also know this was a home game for them, but the Buckeyes went to Norman last year and won. Fwiw, both these teams have won on the road in this series.

Reactions: Gobucks
Loudmouths like Cowherd criticize teams like Iowa every year for not scheduling a ranked team at the beginning of the year yet they have a tough enough schedule already. For some reason people fail to look at the entire schedule. This year Iowa has 9 conference games and 3 non conference. Of those three non conference games one is a power 5 conference team and currently ranked 15th, somehow. The other two games are still major conference teams.

Alabama may be playing a big team early but they are playing 8 conference games and 4 out of conference games. One of those out of conference games always seems to be a non-major team in week 11. I think that's weak yet they never get criticized for it.

And Bama plays all those games in their home ... they never would play an Oklahoma on the road .... it's too far out of their comfort zone of the South East.

When Bama starts scheduling games that are not more than an hour away let me know .... (I know, they played a game in Dallas awhile back)
I also know this was a home game for them, but the Buckeyes went to Norman last year and won. Fwiw, both these teams have won on the road in this series.
Bama has done plenty of road games well away from home in the recent past (recent relatively speaking). The home and home with Penn State is probably the most recent in 2011.
And they have had several in Dallas, and not a while back. They had USC there just last season. Wisconsin the year before. Michigan in 2012.
Louisville next season is in Orlando.

Even the Atlanta games are against teams that are almost as close to Atlanta as Bama.

It has nothing to do with a comfort zone. It has to do with how much money they are being paid to play in those neutral site contests. The same reason Michigan and Wisconsin made the trips to Dallas.

Alabama may be playing a big team early but they are playing 8 conference games and 4 out of conference games. One of those out of conference games always seems to be a non-major team in week 11. I think that's weak yet they never get criticized for it.

They ALWAYS get criticized for it. Have been for years.

They play Mercer their second last game of the year. I didn't mean the very last game, just games towards the end of the year. This is when other teams are usually fighting to get into their conference championship.

Last year they played Chattanooga. The year before it was Charleston Southern. The year before that it was Western Carolina. These were all played in week 11 and are almost a bye for them as they can start their back ups the majority of the game.
And who does Ohio St. play the next to last game? Illinois isn't it? And how good are they?

At least the SEC, ACC, Pac 12, and Big 12 spread their conferences games throughout the entire season, why can't the Big Ten? Not everyone else's fault the Big Ten wants to save all their games towards the end of the season.

What about the Alabama home/home series with Penn State?
Georgia played Notre Dame at Notre Dame.

Next excuse from the Big Ten? Weather?

Reactions: mccoyrj
And who does Ohio St. play the next to last game? Illinois isn't it? And how good are they?

At least the SEC, ACC, Pac 12, and Big 12 spread their conferences games throughout the year, why can't the Big Ten?

No one can argue the conference games since they do not have any control over who they play. The conferences control the schedules and are set for years in advance. I'm not sure how you can compare conference games to playing non-major teams.

No one can argue the conference games since they do not have any control over who they play. The conferences control the schedules and are set for years in advance. I'm not sure how you can compare conference games to playing non-major teams.
The SEC, ACC, Pac 12, and Big 12 spread their conferences games throughout the entire season, why can't the Big Ten? Not everyone else's fault the Big Ten wants to save all their games towards the end of the season.

The SEC, ACC, Pac 12, and Big 12 spread their conferences games throughout the entire season, why can't the Big Ten? Not everyone else's fault the Big Ten wants to save all their games towards the end of the season.

I'm not sure their reasoning for it. I myself prefer to play all the out of conference games first. I think of it more as a preseason in a way to get ready for conference play. I do not want to watch my team play a preseason game at the end of the season. College basketball is the same way in the Big Ten, not sure if it is for other conferences as well.

Why don't they use that late season out of conference game to play one of those big games, that would be more like it.

Reactions: Jimbo and mccoyrj

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)