2018 LG OLED's are bringing it

So far calibration reports of the 3D LUT for Gamut auto cal is showing the less points you do the more accurate, which makes no sense. So now the question is, why even use it.

May have some bugs to work out.

I have been using Greentoe to search for deals. It is sick what you can get a 65" C8 for right now...

I have one month left to decide on A8F or C8, Chad B will be here in mid to late June.

A couple of sites have the 55" C8 set with the a9 video processor for $300 off list and in stock.
If they've only been available for a few days, why are they already discounting them? I remember when the first units available used to fetch more than MSRP and I don't think it has anything to do with them getting better at setting MSRP.

That said, more than $2,000 for a 55" TV should surely be considered boutique rather than mainstream. Amazon is offering the Sony A8F for $2798 ($500 off MSRP) so maybe the world is waiting for the standards to shake out or zero black wasn't all that.

I’d hoped the OLEDs would have dropped further in price by now. I guess the day I’ll own one is WAY off in the future.

I remember early on, there were articles saying the potential was there for OLEDs to one day be cheaper than LCDs. Doesn’t look like I’ll live long enough to see that.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You can get a 65" C7 for around $2200 if you look sharply and the 55" for $1400, what else do you want? OLED's are flagships, LCD's range from cheap to FALD because the cheap ones suck. The Samsuck Q9 isnt cheap?

Show me a comparable price wise LCD that outperforms a C7.

Show me a comparable price wise LCD that outperforms a C7.
There are many TVs that offer much higher nits ratings and a few that have noticeably better scaling or motion detection.

If you ask JSP what's important to them, it probably isn't going to be that the TV produces 70% more blacks. Having one's retinas seared will win hearts and minds much faster than statistics regarding things most people can't readily discern.

The fact that Samsuck is number one and Vizio or number two (totalling >60% of the market) demonstrates pretty clearly what appeals to the mainstream market.

LOL, OK... Im glad you fell for the nit argument, Samsuck will love you.

Reviewers are starting to note than even though OLED's are outgunned nit wise, since they have zero black and LCD's (especially cheap ones) have a much higher black floor in HDR, the OLED offers MORE pop because LCD cannot touch their contrast ratio.

So no, a cheap LCD with 2000 nits will not look better than a $1500 OLED.

My argument is also not about J6P, which Navy isnt. J6P is a dummy, we all know that, but if you are going to make untrue statements I will correct you. OLED's are not "expensive" any more.

I remember early on, there were articles saying the potential was there for OLEDs to one day be cheaper than LCDs. Doesn’t look like I’ll live long enough to see that.
LG is finally getting ramped up, but they can't do it alone and even for them, OLEDs only make up a part of their panels. MicroLEDs are coming as well and they reportedly offer all the blacks with brighter brights.

I was reading an article the other day about how poor vinyl is for audio reproduction and it made me laugh. Video is becoming the same numbers game that audio used to be and in the end, nobody can really tell the difference without knowing what to look for and a few handy measuring instruments to do the looking with. Does it really matter that you can now get 384KHz DACs for decoding your typical crappy audio streams or is it just another number?

I'm still waiting for a 1080p TV with HDR. That's what I think I want.

LOL, OK... Im glad you fell for the nit argument, Samsuck will love you.

Reviewers are starting to note than even though OLED's are outgunned nit wise, since they have zero black and LCD's (especially cheap ones) have a much higher black floor in HDR, the OLED offers MORE pop because LCD cannot touch their contrast ratio
Reviewers are paid to convince those who spend the big bucks that they made the right decision. They know their audience and they serve them faithfully.

For the rest of us that don't have fully light-controlled theaters in our homes, half a million blacks are wasted.

Reactions: primestar31
Reviewers are paid to convince those who spend the big bucks that they made the right decision. They know their audience and they serve them faithfully.
In the old days, we used to misquote Will Rogers when talking about the old Stereo Review magazine as:
"They never met a speaker they didn't like"
Basically, stop worrying about what the reviewers say. If it pleases you, stop reading the reviews and enjoy.

Reactions: osu1991
Basically, stop worrying about what the reviewers say. If it pleases you, stop reading the reviews and enjoy.
This reminds me of a line from Caddyshack where Judge Smails (Ted Knight) asks Ty (Chevy Chase) how he measures himself against other golfers.

If I mentioned I was interested in a $4,000 OLED, my wife would say “we need to talk.”

The word “expensive” would be preceded by an expletive or two.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Contact Chris at Cleveland Plasma.
Really good deals on 07’s. Cheaper than the new Samsung Q lineup.

You can get a C8 for way less than $4000.

I have decided I am purchasing a 77" C8, will use the A1E in my other room. I have been back and forth, and while I dont miss the 940E as an LCD (dont get me wrong its lovely, LCDs just aren't for me), I do miss the size.

The C8 is getting rave reviews from calibrators and respectable websites, it has autocal (which increases accuracy over manual cal controls) plus a plethora of other calibration controls (even for Dolby Vision mode), so I just don't see a point in waiting. This is a definite long term purchase because of price, but other than getting brighter (which I am not concerned about), the next steps are 8K and 2.1, which I am really not concerned about.

I'll start a dedicated thread for the C8 if there is not one once I get the ball going, which is all based on Chad's June cal arrival. I will purchase in time to get 200+ hours on it before he arrives.

Messaged Chad B yesterday and heard back today. He recommended 300 hours on the LG OLED as break in, and said he had the DV cal and loading of new settings into the DV mapping engine down on the 2017 models. 2018 should behave the same way. He also said he has been watching the Autocal thread for the 2018 models, but hasn't done one yet.

An ISF calibrator said they, along with Spectracal, are finding Autocal to have better results than manual on the 2018 LG. This isn't because they run a ton of measurements, it is because it does a 42 point grayscale (vs 21) and adjusts more CMS points in a more basic Autocal mode. So it takes more readings than you can manually, yet does not run for 6 hours LOL.

I told him I would order once he sets me a date.

Little more data, seems the quick AutoCal runs are:

101 CMS measurements in lightning mode
42 SDR white balance
21 HDR10 and DV white balance

That is pretty nice.

Reactions: Foxbat

So from the 77" and 2018 reviews so far I see:
  • 77" is more dim nit wise in HDR than the smaller screens because of the new vs old panel (curious about this one). Wonder if the 77" gets the new screen this year at all.
  • Dynamic Tone Mapping in 4000 nit really brought back some detail, so maybe use it for 0.005 nit to 4000 nit discs that are not DV? No need on 1000 nit? At this point, and I never thought Id say it, maybe all discs will offer DV.
  • The logo dimming sucks.
  • Autocal offers benefit if you understand the cons.
  • The smooth gradation works, but as implemented not the best idea. I turned off SG on my A1E a couple of weeks ago as an experiment (plus it on during DV causes issues), and I have not noticed it being off, so no biggie for me.