2020-21 NCAA Football Thread

If there was ever a year to give a G5 team a shot, this is it. Yet we have a Ohio State team that has played 5 games, ranked in the top four, and a 8-0 Cincinnati and a 11-0 Coastal waaaaay down the list.

You can't base it on the five games OSU has played either, the competition in those games has been lackluster. Only one team has a winning record. Two if they win against northwestern.

Pure name recognition.

Most definitely, and highlighted by Florida’s 1 place drop after losing to 3 win LSU.

The committee is a joke and in the pockets of ESPN.

If there was ever a year to give a G5 team a shot, this is it. Yet we have a Ohio State team that has played 5 games, ranked in the top four, and a 8-0 Cincinnati and a 11-0 Coastal waaaaay down the list.

You can't base it on the five games OSU has played either, the competition in those games has been lackluster. Only one team has a winning record. Two if they win against northwestern.

Pure name recognition.
This is college football. Name recognition drives 75% of a ranking value.

This is college football. Name recognition drives 75% of a ranking value.
Obviously.

And as I said, if there was ever a year to NOT do that, this would be it. It is a jumbled mess already. Shake it up and make it interesting.

There probably wont be another opportunity to do so again without a massive playoff expansion.

I'm all for shaking things up... but money drives college football, not competition or parity.

Pure name recognition.
Name the teams that the other teams have played on thier schedule that are any good ....

Clemson has played No One in the ACC thats any good ... they had to ADD Notre Dame to get someone competitive .
Texas A&M has not played very good this year, they beat Florida, who after that .... no one.
A month ago, Florida vs Bama would have been a good game, but I expect Bama to whip them this time around.

So, its not just the Buckeyes that haven't played top teams.
Remember, all the conferences choose to not play Non Conference games ... they had Oregon game 2 this year.
Buckeyes have a Power 5 team in the upper side of the teams scheduled every year ...

And they don't schedule East/west Northern Carolina as a week before thier rivalry team like other conferences do.

Yes, the 5 games is not good, but its not thier fault that missed 3 games this year due to Covid ... 2 of the 3 games were issues with the OTHER team, they should NOT be penalized for those 2 games, actually they should have been set up to go as Forfeits.

With 2 forfeits counting they would have 7 games instead of 5 with the Conference Championship game still coming, so that puts them at 8 games.

Blame the Big Ten Commissioner and Presidents for the lack of games played, they are the ones that held up the season, they actually postponed the whole season and eventually changed thier minds ... Ohio State was a HUGE reason the Big Ten played at all this year, AND the PAC 12 as well.

Most definitely, and highlighted by Florida’s 1 place drop after losing to 3 win LSU.

The committee is a joke and in the pockets of ESPN.
I want a better answer for why Cincinnati has dropped 2 spots in the last 2 weeks without losing at all ... or playing for that matter.

Committee said its because they haven't played, that bull ... no one else drops when they don't play.

They have 2 teams with 2 losses ahead of them ...

Btw, has anyone watched Texas A&M play ball this month ... they have been terrible.

Name the teams that the other teams have played on thier schedule that are any good ....
OSU had a relatively benign schedule... by benign schedule standards. Yes, generally the schedules across the nation were easier than normally easy schedules they have. But OSU hasn't played anyone of significance... or even consequence.
Yes, the 5 games is not good, but its not thier fault that missed 3 games this year due to Covid ... 2 of the 3 games were issues with the OTHER team, they should NOT be penalized for those 2 games, actually they should have been set up to go as Forfeits.
Technically those games were against jobbers too. OSU's schedule lacked any competition whatsoever, especially with a down and out Michigan.

Reactions: Derwin0 and Ronnie-
OSU had a relatively benign schedule... by benign schedule standards. Yes, generally the schedules across the nation were easier than normally easy schedules they have. But OSU hasn't played anyone of significance... or even consequence.

Technically those games were against jobbers too. OSU's schedule lacked any competition whatsoever, especially with a down and out Michigan.
The issue is the schedules that were made up were very limited, nothing the Buckeyes could do about that ...

It's not thier fault that Penn State, Michigan State and TTUN were WAY below standards this year.

Fwiw, Bama did not play anyone good when they played them ...
Clemson didn't play anyone other than Norte Dame, which in normal years they would not have played.

So, the schedules are what they are this year ...

One problem I see with the Buckeyes and I hope it doesn't hurt them in the long run ...
Teams typically get stronger as the year goes on, reason for playing those easy games early, so you can see what you need to work on and get stronger.
The Buckeyes have been so inconsistent playing games that they haven't have that consistency to have the different areas Gell.

They played the first 3 games, then they have not played 2 weeks in a row since.
The offense is doing fine (Running the ball hasn't been as good as expected) but the rest has been fine.
However, the Defense needs time to gell, the D Line has come around nicely, but the new kids playing in the secondary have not had enough games together to really gell .... heres hoping that will improve starting this week, once again, a game after a canceled week and they would have another week off before the Jan 1st Semi's if they get that far.

On as positive, we don't get teams having 3 weeks off before playing in thier next game, like normally in bowl/ playoff season.

Clemson has played No One in the ACC thats any good ... they had to ADD Notre Dame to get someone competitive .
Texas A&M has not played very good this year, they beat Florida, who after that .... no one.
A month ago, Florida vs Bama would have been a good game, but I expect Bama to whip them this time around.

So, its not just the Buckeyes that haven't played top teams.
Remember, all the conferences choose to not play Non Conference games ... they had Oregon game 2 this year.
Buckeyes have a Power 5 team in the upper side of the teams scheduled every year ...

And they don't schedule East/west Northern Carolina as a week before thier rivalry team like other conferences do.

With 2 forfeits counting they would have 7 games instead of 5 with the Conference Championship game still coming, so that puts them at 8 games.

Blame the Big Ten Commissioner and Presidents for the lack of games played, they are the ones that held up the season, they actually postponed the whole season and eventually changed thier minds ... Ohio State was a HUGE reason the Big Ten played at all this year, AND the PAC 12 as well.
Its not just that OSU has a lack of games, out of the ones they have played, one team, ONE, has a winning record. I dont think any other team in the discussion has that working against them.
Couple that with the lack of games, which may not be their fault, but its still a factor, and I just see no reason for their inclusion this year over a team like Cincinnati or Coastal. It is also not their fault that OSU did not play those games.

Reactions: Derwin0
The issue is the schedules that were made up were very limited, nothing the Buckeyes could do about that ...
So pretty much you are arguing OSU's strength should be respected because OSU's strength should be respected. Reminds me of Alabama beating no one last year or the year before with a winning record, and still managing to be top 10 for way too long.
It's not thier fault that Penn State, Michigan State and TTUN were WAY below standards this year.
You agree that OSU hasn't established their right to be in the playoff, but want to assign blame for why. The why really doesn't matter. What matters is they didn't play enough or play anyone even if they had, as the other three games were against jobbers. This isn't a crime nor something to be ashamed of. This year has been wonky for most (much worse for others). So this is when you can just throw up your arms and say "2020! Am I right?!"

But this being college football, it is solely about money / ratings, so OSU is safe.

Its not just that OSU has a lack of games, out of the ones they have played, one team, ONE, has a winning record. I dont think any other team in the discussion has that working against them.
Couple that with the lack of games, which may not be their fault, but its still a factor, and I just see no reason for their inclusion this year over a team like Cincinnati or Coastal. It is also not their fault that OSU did not play those games.
Tell me again if they go out and win it all this year ... :)

So pretty much you are arguing OSU's strength should be respected because OSU's strength should be respected. Reminds me of Alabama beating no one last year or the year before with a winning record, and still managing to be top 10 for way too long.

You agree that OSU hasn't established their right to be in the playoff, but want to assign blame for why. The why really doesn't matter. What matters is they didn't play enough or play anyone even if they had, as the other three games were against jobbers. This isn't a crime nor something to be ashamed of. This year has been wonky for most (much worse for others). So this is when you can just throw up your arms and say "2020! Am I right?!"

But this being college football, it is solely about money / ratings, so OSU is safe.
I think a lot of people have different ideas of what it takes to get in the playof

When did ANYONE make a rule before the season started giving a number of games required to get to the CFP .

Show me that, and then we'll talk.

I think a lot of people have different ideas of what it takes to get in the playof

When did ANYONE make a rule before the season started giving a number of games required to get to the CFP .

Show me that, and then we'll talk.
You were the one blaming circumstance for their lack of wins, due to games played. So clearly, you think that games played does matter. Regardless, the cartels want OSU in, so OSU will get in. But let's stop pretending that OSU's achievements this season had anything to do with it.

You were the one blaming circumstance for their lack of wins, due to games played. So clearly, you think that games played does matter. Regardless, the cartels want OSU in, so OSU will get in. But let's stop pretending that OSU's achievements this season had anything to do with it.
NO, not at all ....
I'm not Blaming anyone or thing, I'm telling you that they would have played every game had the league not stopped them.
As for games played, they have played what they were allowed to play. they were only scheduled to play 8 so they could never make the 10 or 11 others teams have played regardless.

I never said anything about lack of wins, they've Won every game they have been allowed to play.

Had Ohio State not stood up and fought for the Big Ten season, the whole conference wouldn't have played.

Now had someone in charge, not sure who that would be, maybe the CFP people, came out and said, OK Big Ten, if you can't play x amount of game, you can't be in the playoffs, that would be one thing, but no one did that.

Of course the Playoff people and lets not forget the Advertisers as well want the Buckeyes in, they are a HUGE draw ....

Texas A&M vs Bama .... how many people are watching ?
They've already seen that game and the rematch would be even worse.

Ohio State vs Bama, now THAT people want to see ... and the Rating will skyrocket .... (till the 4th Q, when Bama wins going away)
Don't forget, the last time these two played, it was a great game if your a Buckeye, but it was also a way different team.

Well all this will be mute come tomorrow. Clemson is the team that should be worried if they get beat by ND. I don't think OSU is going anywhere win or lose.:cheer
The way I look at it, if Clemson wins, they are in, if they lose a close game, it could go either way getting in or not, if its not close and ND wins by 10 or more, Clemson is out.

Bama better go about thier business and beat Florida ... they have been very consistent this year.
If Florida should win, Bama would probably drop to 3 or 4 ... I don't see Florida getting in now, even if they should win.

As long as the Buckeyes win (I'd prefer easily, so I can go back to work)(If the Buckeyes Defense come to play, and they should) they will be in.

I have watched Texas A&M and they just don't look nearly as good as a Playoff team.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
I have watched Texas A&M and they just don't look nearly as good as a Playoff team.
Then I am curious why OSU would be? A&M has played three more games than OSU, has beaten to this point a higher ranked opponent than OSU, and has twice as many wins against teams with winning records as OSU.

They do have a loss, OSU doesnt.

The whole year is a cluster tbh.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Then I am curious why OSU would be? A&M has played three more games than OSU, has beaten to this point a higher ranked opponent than OSU, and has twice as many wins against teams with winning records as OSU.

They do have a loss, OSU doesnt.

The whole year is a cluster tbh.
Ohio State would be a 21+ point pick against T A&M
Bama would be a 28+ point pick against them.
Clemson would be a 21+ pick against them ...

No, I don't have a connection in Vegas, just guessing.

:cheer:cheer:cheer:crowdbounce
buckeyes-big-10-23e368d44d.jpg

Good thing the Big 10 changed the rules mid stride to give the conference a shot at the playoffs eh? ;)
In all seriousness, I do think A&M has a much better argument at that slot if you’re just going major conferences.

But again, I’d give it to one of the G5 teams right now.

OSU, IMO, has no business being in the playoffs this season with how it happened.

Some of it isn’t their fault. They can only play the schedule they are provided with.

Still, that’s true of everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts