2020-21 NCAA Football Thread

It is all about money. The NCAA Basketball Tournament never provides a Final Four that people think is controversial. College Football has a tendency of being like wrestling programs in the 70s and 80s, where the faces and heels beat the heck out of jobbers and then there is a PPV with one decent match.

It means what people want it to mean. OSU is the best team in the Big Ten, that really isn't up for debate. But they have played just five games. If we want to pretend that the schedule actually doesn't matter and OSU just had games against jobbers cancelled... why does any of this matter? Either the Conference Schedule matters or it doesn't and it is a fraud.

OSU had their destiny in their own hands and then they had a Covid-19 outbreak that kept them from a sixth game. The easy solution to all of this would be to make it a four team playoff in the Big Ten because the best team isn't in it yet. That gets OSU to 7-0 and we almost have a sense of fairness. Otherwise, the rules were the rules.
Why are you penalizing them for 2 games they had no way to play due to the other teams ?
Give them back and they would have played 7 games, is that good enough for you ?

Also, don't blame the Buckeyes for only playing 5 games, blame Kevin Warren ...
As far as I recall, it was the Buckeyes that fought hard to get the Season to even be played at all.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Also, don't blame the Buckeyes for only playing 5 games, blame Kevin Warren ...
As far as I recall, it was the Buckeyes that fought hard to get the Season to even be played at all.
With all the reverses (don't play then play, minimum 6 now no minimum), Warren has pretty much lost all credibility as commissioner.

With all the reverses (don't play then play, minimum 6 now no minimum), Warren has pretty much lost all credibility as commissioner.
He lost most of his credibility in the first Month when the season should have been started.
Oh, lets wait and see what happens ...
I don't want a FOLLOWER leading my conference.

There was No reason to have a minimum to start with.

I know Indiana is not happy with the end result, but even they know it was the right thing to do, seeing even if the Buckeyes had Lost to TTUN, they still would have won the division (the records would be the same, but they beat Indiana on the field, so they win the conference) and move to the Conference Championship game.

Reactions: Derwin0
Bowl season should be real interesting

With a 6-5 record, they'd be going to a crappy bowl (Birmingham) anyway.

Covid gives them an out, as ACC rules don't normally allow teams to refuse a tie-in bowl bid.

With a 6-5 record, they'd be going to a crappy bowl (Birmingham) anyway.

Covid gives them an out, as ACC rules don't normally allow teams to refuse a tie-in bowl bid.
Well, Covid is clearly the reason for the rejection as clearly stated in the article.

The Pinstripe Bowl has been canceled, I think there were a couple other fringe games canceled too.

Well, Covid is clearly the reason for the rejection as clearly stated in the article.
The "stated" rejection.

No one ever wants to go to the Birmingham Bowl, but ACC & SEC typically require teams to accept tie-in bids. This year they have an out and they used it.

They should cut the number of bowls in half anyways ...
40 bowl games is ridiculous ...
Even 20 games is really too much ... somewhere along the way, Bowls games became a participation award.
They use to go to teams that actually played and had a Good to great season.

Personally, I would make it so you have to be at least 2 games over .500 to qualify ...
However, then you have a fluid number of games each year and its much harder to set them up.

Do we really need bowl games in Detroit or New York in the winter ?

Pittsburgh and Virginia also opting out. I don't blame them. These kids have been quarantined since what, the end of June? They barely qualify for fringe bowls that can't offer the usual amenities because of COVID. I'd want to go home too.

Reactions: Jimbo
Pittsburgh and Virginia also opting out. I don't blame them. These kids have been quarantined since what, the end of June? They barely qualify for fringe bowls that can't offer the usual amenities because of COVID. I'd want to go home too.
I would not be surprised to see many more opt out ...
If your not in a Major bowl game ....
Fans won't be allowed in, the way they always have been ...

Maybe they can re evaluate the Bowl season next year ... it use to mean you had a Great year, not anymore.

Fans don't go to the minor bowls anyway. If teams weren't required to go (due to conference tie-ins), those bowls wouldn't have teams to field.

Those bowls are nothing more than ESPN programming filler.

Reactions: Jimbo

Maybe they can re evaluate the Bowl season next year ... it use to mean you had a Great year, not anymore.
There's too much money at stake. The only was there will be a reduction in games in the future is if they start running out of title sponsors.

There's too much money at stake. The only was there will be a reduction in games in the future is if they start running out of title sponsors.
They don't care about title sponsors.

ESPN owns and operates all the minor bowl games. Their only purpose in life is to supply ESPN with programming. The conferences go along with it because ESPN pays them to.

Actually, is it more cost productive to play in bowl games this year. Small bowl games are rip offs, as schools have to buy a significant share of seats to play in the game. With no attendance, are the games actually going to cost a school less to attend to play?

Actually, is it more cost productive to play in bowl games this year. Small bowl games are rip offs, as schools have to buy a significant share of seats to play in the game. With no attendance, are the games actually going to cost a school less to attend to play?
Only if you look at the minor bowls themselves. But they are part of a package to the conference which includes the major bowls. The conferences split the money evenly amongst the schools.

So while the schools lose money on the sales of those seats, they still make a profit due to revenue sharing of the conferences with the money paid to them via tv revenue.

I'd rather them just get rid of the bowl system entirely and go to a 16 team playoff.
I don't see that happening ... what are you gonna do with teams 17-120 that seem to EXPECT a Bowl game, deserving or not ?
80 teams as of last year went to bowl games, thats 2/3rds of the teams out there, thats ridiculous.

If there was ever a year to give a G5 team a shot, this is it. Yet we have a Ohio State team that has played 5 games, ranked in the top four, and a 8-0 Cincinnati and a 11-0 Coastal waaaaay down the list.

You can't base it on the five games OSU has played either, the competition in those games has been lackluster. Only one team has a winning record. Two if they win against northwestern.

Pure name recognition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)