2021-22 NCAA Football Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can find at least 10 or more teams that could be undefeated thru the year most years .... going by record isn't going to work as everyone would quit playing tough teams and play cupcakes.
How many times does Bama get to play Western Carolina before a Big game ?
Does Bama ever play top talent or just destroy the rest of the SEC. Make every team have to earn it, not play in a lopsided conference.

I personally love the bowl games. I also love the playoffs and will take as many as they want to give us within reason. If it means more college football then, I'm in. I've watched every bowl except the ones that conflicted with each other then I was flipping back and forth. I also put small wagers on them (Draftkings) to make it more fun. But I'm talking tiny dollars, like 10-20/game. Just a reason to cheer for one team or the over/under. I don't understand why anyone wants less games. If you don't want to watch them or don't care, then just don't watch. Why let the concern bother you even in the slightest? It isn't like you are not getting something else you want just because they are playing bowl games right?
You should watch Hockey (great sport btw), I think half or slightly more teams get in the playoffs now.
Playoffs take 2 months to play,, but hey, they are the best Playoffs in all of sports ....

Then again, they have the capability to be able to play every night if needed, can't do that in Football ...
Typically, you play every Other night in the NHL.

Does Bama ever play top talent or just destroy the rest of the SEC. Make every team have to earn it, not play in a lopsided conference.
Alabama and OU had a home and home series in 2002-2003. That was pre Nick Saban. I don't know what they've done recently.

I do think the power conference is coming. The top teams in their own league.
Its already there .... look at the sec, they keep adding more and more teams .... unfortunately there still only 2 (sometimes 3 ) teams from the conference that are good enough to win it .... it changes occasionally, but you can count on Bama in every year and Georgia on the other side ..... (sometimes Florida, but you never have Florida and Georgia be great in the same year, same with Bama and LSU)

Alabama and OU had a home and home series in 2002-2003. That was pre Nick Saban. I don't know what they've done recently.
My Buckeyes also had a Home and Home with Oklahoma recently (Baker years).
Were not skipping out on tough teams.
Oregon this year and year before / (covid screwed us there) .
Notre Dame next year and the year after, we've been doing them for a series at least once every 10 years.
Texas h/h .... ect, ect ect ...

Reactions: Foxbat
Lopsided conference ? Lol. The SEC would consistently have a large chunk of the teams in the scenario you propose.

As to Bama playing other top teams, have you followed their schedule in the past decade? The future schedules ? In addition to the sec schedule, there is always another major team to start the season.

Yes, they play cupcakes as well, nearly all teams do, but they do schedule big out of conference yearly.

Reactions: Derwin0
My Buckeyes also had a Home and Home with Oklahoma recently (Baker years).
Were not skipping out on tough teams.
Oregon this year and year before / (covid screwed us there) .
Notre Dame next year and the year after, we've been doing them for a series at least once every 10 years.
Texas h/h .... ect, ect ect ...
Next year OU plays Nebraska (well, they used to be good). The year after that they play Georgia in Norman in week 2. Looking forward to that one.

Reactions: Jimbo
They did home and home with penn state. Games against usc, fsu, Michigan, and another with penn state among others.

They have upcoming home and homes with Texas, Wisconsin, FSU (same season as Wisconsin), West Virginia, and Ohio state the same season. Ohio state and Oklahoma state in 2028. Oklahoma state and ND in 2029. A home and home with Oklahoma the following year.

Bama consistently schedules big name games.

Reactions: Derwin0
The problem, is there are too many schools in the BCS. When only 6 have a shot at winning. Reformat the BCS like Premier league. The top teams compete.

Realign the schools so you don't compete in conference. Have a top 32 league. They Split it into 16 teams each side.
Nice idea.

IF you want a soul crushing long slog to one and only champion and everybody else is a POS.

We have that. It plays every Sunday.

Games matter. In and of themselves, for deep historical reasons. Much of which is not understandable to people outside the traditional college football footprint.

It is WAY more important than determining some national champion.

BTW, 6th in the SEC wins every other league. The haters have now come up with this idea that the SEC is some how “lopsided”. It is easier than accepting the reality that it just is that much better, top to bottom, than every other league.

Next year OU plays Nebraska (well, they used to be good). The year after that they play Georgia in Norman in week 2. Looking forward to that one.
I prefer to play these Great game in week 3 or 4, vs week 1.
I much prefer to see the teams play one another once they have gotten a flow to the season and start to see what they have on the field.
Week 1, there usually no continuity ...

Yes.

If you want college football to be AAA NFL, with a long grinding playoff to determine one and only one champion, and everybody else is a POS.

Going to the Sugar Bowl, or the Gator Bowl, Rose Bowl, even the Independence Bowl, having a good year, etc. used to be significant. The national championship was extra, not the one and only be all and end all of the sport. Lots of teams could finish off a season with pride and accomplishment.

If you want a soul crushing race to one and only one champion (and, memo, that ain’t your team nor will it ever be for 95% of college programs) then your game is on Sundays.
Personally I want every team to play against every team in the top division. 128 games for each team would definitively provide us a national champion... unless there was a tie of course. Then what is one more game on top of that?

And with 150 days between the span of August to December, scheduling will be easy, with up to 22 whole rest days. :)

Nice idea.

IF you want a soul crushing long slog to one and only champion and everybody else is a POS.

We have that. It plays every Sunday.

Games matter. In and of themselves, for deep historical reasons. Much of which is not understandable to people outside the traditional college football footprint.

It is WAY more important than determining some national champion.
I'm having trouble researching when the National Champion in college football didn't matter. Google keeps giving me a result of "You are wasting your time". Comparing the alleged top five teams, then comparing them despite them never playing each other was a fools errand, always was. College Football rankings screams "inadequate sample size".

'96 come to mind with OSU. Okay... OSU beats ASU... FU beats FSU. The national champion is... FU! Like literally. Ohio State loses to Michigan in one of the "traditional" games you mention (but that tradition is completely ignored in the ranking process) and they lose the national title because of it... and FU split with FSU... and for some reason, because FU's victory was a number of weeks after they lost to FSU, FU gets the title?!

Late November, FU is #1 and FSU is #2. Whoops, FSU won, FSU is #1 in the country. January, whoops FU beat FSU, which means FU is #1 again. What about OSU? They just beat #2 ASU. Meh! They lost to Michigan in November. ARGHG!!!! The funny thing is, Florida was a near unanimous selection, so the controversy is just in my head, but it is real. Additionally, Arizona State beat one ranked opponent that year. So technically, OSU was never going to be #1 no matter who won in the FSU and FU game.
BTW, 6th in the SEC wins every other league. The haters have now come up with this idea that the SEC is some how “lopsided”. It is easier than accepting the reality that it just is that much better, top to bottom, than every other league.
Well haters got to hate. And the SEC are a bunch of bums because they keep winning all the time. Darn Bums!

Say WHAT ????

You think the 6th place team in the sec wins every other league ????

I want some of whatever you smoking.

75a1d95d11b09033541e77a28cc5e199.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimbo and HIFI
Say WHAT ????

You think the 6th place team in the sec wins every other league ????

I want some of whatever you smoking.

I don’t think 6 could, but 3 probably could. Maybe four.

Bama and Georgia are a given. Playing for the natty. So.

Ole miss healthy during the season, probably.

Kentucky, Arkansas, maybe A&M. Any one of those would have contended depending on some factors.

It was a strong conference this season.

I don’t think 6 could, but 3 probably could. Maybe four.

Bama and Georgia are a given. Playing for the natty. So.

Ole miss healthy during the season, probably.

Kentucky, Arkansas, maybe A&M. Any one of those would have contended depending on some factors.

It was a strong conference this season.

Bama, Georgia, yes ....
The rest couldn't come close to hanging with the top teams.
Kentucky was ok, nothing special
A&M plays 1 good game and they are as good as the top teams ?

None of them would have been in the top 2 in the Big Ten for starters.
The same A&M team that lost 4 games this year ?

Arkansas, a team that ended up ranked on the 20's , also with 4 losses ....
You REALLY think those teams

This is where all the "REST" of the sec teams jump on the top teams in the sec's coat tails.
It seems every year when Bama wins, the rest of the conference THINKS they also Won it all.

The sec is no different than a few other conferences, where you have a Great team and a very good team and a few other that have a chance to be Very good.

In the sec you have the Bama's and occasionally an LSU ... or an Auburn once every 5-10 years ... But Bama is carrying the rest. Georgia has finally opened the door the last few years (since Kirby).

In the Big Ten, you have Ohio State carrying the rest ... Penn State typically is up there doing well, Wisconsin is the best on the other side, so they get to the Championship game every other year.
Michigan came on strong this year, shot thier wad against the Buckeyes.
(Much like the Buckeyes did with Clemson last year, put everything into beating them and had nothing left for the next round.)
Waiting to see if Harbaugh and company can back it up next year. (most of the team up north were Sr's, most of the Buckeyes top players were Freshman and Sophomore's)

75a1d95d11b09033541e77a28cc5e199.jpg

Yup, they have people standing in line to beg to play for them ...
Buckeyes also lost just as many, most top teams do ...
Bama gets first choice for top players every year, Buckeyes and Clemson get the next round.

I found it interesting that Bama's top WR couldn't make the Buckeyes Starting group of WR's, yet hes the one that makes the Tide roll .... not sec speed, more like Buckeye Speed !

I found it interesting that Bama's top WR couldn't make the Buckeyes Starting group of WR's, yet hes the one that makes the Tide roll .... not sec speed, more like Buckeye Speed !
I found it interesting that OSU coaches couldnt develop a receiver that Bama coaches turned into a star. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.