2021-22 NCAA Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every Athlete on a team is now entitled to make money ....
So again, almost no one is making a million.
So you think that the Student Athletes are not getting paid enough .... FREE TUITION IS PLENTY.
No, it isn't. Free tuition, $30k to $50k a year... for a system generating billions? As I said, pennies on the dollar.

Very soon, College WILL be the Pros, with no differences.
College football and basketball have been big business for a long time. The mob was involved with College Basketball. College Football used to be BIGGER than pro ball. These days, these sports generate billions of dollars in ads, television, merchandise, gate, etc... The idea it is "amateur" is a lie people tell themselves. Or that it is okay to rake in billions on the shoulders of kids getting a scholarship (well, the ones that do).

So again, almost no one is making a million.

No, it isn't. Free tuition, $30k to $50k a year... for a system generating billions? As I said, pennies on the dollar.

College football and basketball have been big business for a long time. The mob was involved with College Basketball. College Football used to be BIGGER than pro ball. These days, these sports generate billions of dollars in ads, television, merchandise, gate, etc... The idea it is "amateur" is a lie people tell themselves. Or that it is okay to rake in billions on the shoulders of kids getting a scholarship (well, the ones that do).
Interesting question ....
What ever work, you work at ... Do you make more than that percentage of your companies money ?
I bet NOT.

When you went to College, I take it the amount of money you had to LOAN was next to nothing and you paid it off right away with ease .... right ?

If I made $30 an hour and worked for a company making Billions ... your saying I should be getting a few Million per year instead, because the company is doing well ???

See, its not all that much different.

Reactions: Derwin0 and SamCdbs
Why are these “student athletes” at college, anyway? Are they getting the same education as real students who have to fully pay the way for four-five years and a degree? Why not set up a system like the rest of the world has for football (a.k.a. Soccer) and train and pay these athletes from a young age? That seems to be where this is headed. Maybe at first these football clubs can be associated with a sponsor college or university, but as time goes forward, they can be self-sustaining or directly sponsored by corporations.

Anyway, I don’t expect I will ever see this, but if a business like the NFL doesn’t want to invest in players at the Major League level, we’ll keep this system of “amateur student athletes“ until Education becomes the secondary focus of College.

Reactions: Derwin0
Why not set up a system like the rest of the world has for football (a.k.a. Soccer) and train and pay these athletes from a young age?
For a simple reason, the NFL is getting it all for free. And as long as the top talent goes to the NCAA (unlike baseball), they'll keep using the free ride.

For a simple reason, the NFL is getting it all for free. And as long as the top talent goes to the NCAA (unlike baseball), they'll keep using the free ride.
On a different side of this ...
I like this side, better than the say MLB option ... in the MLB you have 100's of teams and leagues, in the MOST part you can't follow the stars coming up like you can thru football.
When baseball has its draft, you Might know a few players, with Football due to exposure you know a bunch of them, at least most of the Skill position players.
When your drafted in football, you see the NFL the next year, provided you make the cut, baseball may be a good number of years playing in the minors.

On a different side of this ...
I like this side, better than the say MLB option ... in the MLB you have 100's of teams and leagues, in the MOST part you can't follow the stars coming up like you can thru football.
When baseball has its draft, you Might know a few players, with Football due to exposure you know a bunch of them, at least most of the Skill position players.
When your drafted in football, you see the NFL the next year, provided you make the cut, baseball may be a good number of years playing in the minors.
The difference in how the NFL and MLB develop players is a reflection in how the sports were created.

Football first developed in college, and became big there, with pro ball coming later, allowing college ball to have the best players and maintain it's huge base, even when the pros became popular, while baseball was pro from the outset therefore needed to setup a farm system as there really wasn't a college pool to draw from. That existing farm system prevented college baseball from ever having top talent which prevented it ever becoming popular.

Reactions: Jimbo
It is a myth that college athletics are this huge profit center. They are not. The figures for every public school are compiled by USA Today, and most break even. Football, and to a lesser extent men’s basketball, and at a very few places men’s hockey or baseball more or less fund everything else. Colleges engage in sports mostly to convince people with no association with the institution that it is some how “us” and “we”.

As to the poor athletes who do all this “free work” for a big profitable college, ask anyone who went into health care, and not just MDs, who are looking at, maybe, six figures, but things like nurses and other such jobs, which pay far less, and the education (which they pay for) involves 1000s of hours of uncompensated work for, often, the very same colleges. Likewise, any one who have gotten a serious advanced degree understands that more than half the time of a PhD or similar candidate is free work for the college.

Only real difference is they have to pay tuition, and are looking at two or maybe three less figures in their incomes.

Cry me a river.

Reactions: Derwin0
College football, and sometime basketball, finance the entire university athletic program everywhere in the USA. If the athletes were paid according to their worth to the university, every one of the other sports would disappear. Is it fair? Maybe not, but I see it as a positive overall.

Well the College National Championship game is on in 4K ....
However, they continue to fk it up.
They give you the Skyview ONLY, what a waste if you want to actually WATCH the game.
It is kinda cool to see the game from the endzone .... for a few minutes at a time.

You would think that they would put the MAIN Feed on in 4k and let people enjoy the game in 4k.

Instead they decide to show the skyview.

If this is the best use of 4k available, I'll have to skip it.

They GOT to do better.

Sorry, I was watching the game and not on the Internet. I missed most of the first half, but the second half was pretty exciting. I was glad to see Georgia get the title after 40+ years.

IMG_8020.JPG

12 team playoff negotiations flopping around. I was curious how it would even be bracketed, this is how. The Cartels are whining about money. Money, money, money. Auto qualifiers, Bowl game relevance, revenue distribution. (All the while the SEC wonders just how much they'd make doing it themselves... the answer is "not as much", so they have to care what the PAC-12 says)

Seeds drive me nuts, as college rankings are horrible metrics for comparing teams. I wonder if they went with an 8 team setup (one fewer game, a 12 team isn't possible), and they randomize the seeds, via two pots, 1-4 and 5-8... and you draw numbers to see who plays each other, with maybe the only exception being no in conference opponent... so going Champions League style here. The top four teams... there really still isn't any idea who is 1 to 4. And same with 5 to 8. We just have a good feel who the elite teams are and who the very good teams are. So after those games, redraw... and then you have the final.

Of course, randomness takes away control from the Cartels, so they might not like that, but it'd seem to be the fairest option.

12 team playoff negotiations flopping around. I was curious how it would even be bracketed, this is how. The Cartels are whining about money. Money, money, money. Auto qualifiers, Bowl game relevance, revenue distribution. (All the while the SEC wonders just how much they'd make doing it themselves... the answer is "not as much", so they have to care what the PAC-12 says)

Seeds drive me nuts, as college rankings are horrible metrics for comparing teams. I wonder if they went with an 8 team setup (one fewer game, a 12 team isn't possible), and they randomize the seeds, via two pots, 1-4 and 5-8... and you draw numbers to see who plays each other, with maybe the only exception being no in conference opponent... so going Champions League style here. The top four teams... there really still isn't any idea who is 1 to 4. And same with 5 to 8. We just have a good feel who the elite teams are and who the very good teams are. So after those games, redraw... and then you have the final.

Of course, randomness takes away control from the Cartels, so they might not like that, but it'd seem to be the fairest option.
You have to create a league where these teams play each other and go off of their records. You can't guess who is better. Imagine if the NFL had rankings every Monday where you decide who the best team is each week.

Reactions: Jimbo
You have to create a league where these teams play each other and go off of their records. You can't guess who is better. Imagine if the NFL had rankings every Monday where you decide who the best team is each week.
That is the ultimate solution, but that isn't going to happen ever.

And yes, they have been guessing who is better for decades... and it is dumb. At least a four team playoff fixes a large portion of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)