2021 Dish Prices

Our second owned H2 dropped to $5 with the first owned H2 remaining at a grandfathered $12. Our Joey also dropped to $5. I didn't have to make any calls, it showed up on the bill that way...
Thanks for posting. I had been wondering how this was working for those who have more than one of the older model Hoppers, since we hadn't seen any complaints in this thread about them not getting the new pricing. Most of the complaints in this thread seem to be from people who have more than one Hopper 3. One possible factor that made it easier for you to automatically get the discount is that you own all of your receivers. I think so far, everyone with two Hopper 3's that has posted here has one purchased Hopper 3 and one leased Hopper 3. That could be complicating things on Dish's side. On the other hand, that could be exactly the way this was intended to work, and what Dish actually meant when they said "If you own your equipment, you will see a new, lower service fee for access on those TVs." By "own your equipment" they meant if you own all of your equipment. So, anyone with a leased Hopper 3 on the account would not get the lower rate for the owned Hopper 3. This is in spite of the fact that Dish required them to purchase the second Hopper 3, instead of letting them lease it. If this is the way that this is intended to work, then it is a really sh!tty way for Dish to treat their high-end customers.

Thanks for posting. I had been wondering how this was working for those who have more than one of the older model Hoppers, since we hadn't seen any complaints in this thread about them not getting the new pricing. Most of the complaints in this thread seem to be from people who have more than one Hopper 3. One possible factor that made it easier for you to automatically get the discount is that you own all of your receivers. I think so far, everyone with two Hopper 3's that has posted here has one purchased Hopper 3 and one leased Hopper 3. That could be complicating things on Dish's side. On the other hand, that could be exactly the way this was intended to work, and what Dish actually meant when they said "If you own your equipment, you will see a new, lower service fee for access on those TVs." By "own your equipment" they meant if you own all of your equipment. So, anyone with a leased Hopper 3 on the account would not get the lower rate for the owned Hopper 3. This is in spite of the fact that Dish required them to purchase the second Hopper 3, instead of letting them lease it. If this is the way that this is intended to work, then it is a really sh!tty way for Dish to treat their high-end customers.
It does seem to be screwed up according to the reports I see here. I don't know if it's just a programming error in the accounting system, the CSR's not being well trained, or just that we're not fully understanding what Dish intended. I hope it gets straightened out soon though...

I received my latest Dish bill on March 2 and they are still charging me $15 for my purchased Hopper 3. Plus it looks like they removed my one Hopper 3 receiver on 2/05/21 and then added it back on 2/06/21. I now know why one day this last month I turned on my one Hopper 3 receiver and found that no stations were authorized. After their prorated charges and prorated credits my bill actually went up from $153.15 to $153.98.

I give up on trying to get Dish to fix my bill. I will wait until my two year preferred customer offer ends in 2 months and then renegotiate a new two year offer.
I have attached a copy of my latest bill.

Attachments

• Dish Bill March 2 2021.pdf
    388.1 KB · Views: 226
Reactions: charlesrshell
I Added a new hopper 3 last week to my account and the price increase was 5 dollars. I confirmed that It is listed as owned . So my first hopper 3 is 15 . Second hopper is 5 dollars and Joey 3 is 5 dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I received my latest Dish bill on March 2 and they are still charging me $15 for my purchased Hopper 3. Plus it looks like they removed my one Hopper 3 receiver on 2/05/21 and then added it back on 2/06/21. I now know why one day this last month I turned on my one Hopper 3 receiver and found that no stations were authorized. After their prorated charges and prorated credits my bill actually went up from $153.15 to $153.98.

I give up on trying to get Dish to fix my bill. I will wait until my two year preferred customer offer ends in 2 months and then renegotiate a new two year offer.
I have attached a copy of my latest bill.
Obviously, there is more to the story than just what the Prorated Charges and Prorated Credits sections show on your bill, since they also show your AT250 being removed for that same day. However, none of your other add-ons or equipment have any prorated charges or credits. I think it is unlikely that any account can stay authorized (even for just one day) with only Dish Movie Pack, Starz, Dish Protect Gold, Local Channels, a Hopper and a Joey, with no basic package to go with those. (If that is possible, then I want to know how to get that deal. I have the Locals Only core package as my basic package, and my account does not qualify for any other add-ons. This is true even though I am paying $15 for my locals, instead of the $12 that you pay for Locals as an add-on.)

In any event, that relatively recent activation of your second Hopper 3 may explain why you have not gotten the new software yet, as you mentioned in the Hopper 3 software thread. When it was shut off and reactivated, that probably pushed it to the back of the line, as far as the software rollout priority. When that happened, it probably pushed your entire account to the back of that line also, which would explain why your other Hopper 3 (which stayed activated the entire time) also did not get the new software.

I Added a new hopper 3 last week to my account and the price increase was 5 dollars. I confirmed that It is listed as owned . So my first hopper 3 is 15 . Second hopper is 5 dollars and Joey 3 is 5 dollars.

It was posted earlier in the thread that a Dish CSR had explained that the $5 second Hopper 3 fee was only for purchased Hopper 3's that were added after January 14. I laughed at the explanation at the time. However, since you had no trouble getting the new rate, it is starting to look like that explanation may indeed actually be correct. That may be what Dish had been trying to do in order to fix the billing in dweber's case above. However, in that case, it didn't work. So, dropping the existing purchased Hopper 3 and adding the same one back again will not fix the billing issue. It has to be a brand-new Hopper 3, purchased after January 14, to get the new rate. If that is the case, that is a really screwy way to do things. Like I said, Dish already required these existing two-Hopper 3 users to purchase the second one, in order to be allowed to have two Hopper 3's at all. Now, they are apparently being forced to remove their existing purchased Hopper 3 and purchase yet another one, if they want to take advantage of the new rates. Otherwise, they are stuck "grandfathered" at a higher rate, which is not how Dish's grandfathering normally works. Add to that the fact that customers who only have one Hopper 3 do not get the discount at all, even though it is purchased (as we found out earlier in the thread) and it is starting to look like Dish is actively trying to screw over as many Hopper 3 owners as possible. I am glad that things worked out okay for you though, ewindowman.

I am also one of the customers that according to dish read it wrong. It says owned equipment is 5 dollars. It doesn’t say Dvr fee is 15 . I called several times and kept getting different answers . So to me from what I can see is 1st receiver owned or leased is 15 dollars. The rest should be 5 dollars owned. I think that some CSR just don’t understand what they are saying or doing . When I added the new hopper I wanted to make sure of the charge and make sure that it was listed as owned. The rep had to keep putting me on hold to confirm everything. When I hung up I immediately got on my dish page to double check. So far everything looks good.

The fee associates with your first Hopper is a DVR Service Fee, not a fee for the Hopper itself, so that fee is not covered by the purchase clause because it is not a fee on the Hopper, it is a fee on the DVR Service. Any and all subsequent owned Hoppers will only have a $5 fee. My leased J3 fee is listed as a Joey Receiver fee but the first Hopper fee of $15 is listed as Hopper DVR Service fee, not an equipment fee even though it is in the group called equipment.

It was posted earlier in the thread that a Dish CSR had explained that the $5 second Hopper 3 fee was only for purchased Hopper 3's that were added after January 14. I laughed at the explanation at the time. However, since you had no trouble getting the new rate, it is starting to look like that explanation may indeed actually be correct. That may be what Dish had been trying to do in order to fix the billing in dweber's case above. However, in that case, it didn't work. So, dropping the existing purchased Hopper 3 and adding the same one back again will not fix the billing issue. It has to be a brand-new Hopper 3, purchased after January 14, to get the new rate. If that is the case, that is a really screwy way to do things. Like I said, Dish already required these existing two-Hopper 3 users to purchase the second one, in order to be allowed to have two Hopper 3's at all. Now, they are apparently being forced to remove their existing purchased Hopper 3 and purchase yet another one, if they want to take advantage of the new rates. Otherwise, they are stuck "grandfathered" at a higher rate, which is not how Dish's grandfathering normally works. Add to that the fact that customers who only have one Hopper 3 do not get the discount at all, even though it is purchased (as we found out earlier in the thread) and it is starting to look like Dish is actively trying to screw over as many Hopper 3 owners as possible. I am glad that things worked out okay for you though, ewindowman.
I have talked to the Loyalty department three times about this issue. I guess they are in the dark too. They just keep giving me a credit for my owned Hopper 3 and then create a work ticket.

I understand that the $15 fee is a DVR fee on the hopper 3 and the $5 fee is on other receiver access.. What I don't understand is why is hopper 3 the only one paying for DVR service? Is it because there's so many tuners? I've never paid any DVR fees on my wally or 211

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
I understand that the $15 fee is a DVR fee on the hopper 3 and the $5 fee is on other receiver access.. What I don't understand is why is hopper 3 the only one paying for DVR service? Is it because there's so many tuners? I've never paid any DVR fees on my wally or 211
The Wally and 211 are not DVRs. When you add the EHD and pay your one time $40 fee to make them a DVR you get basic DVR functions. There are DVR service fees for all three kinds of Hoppers as well 622/722s. These receivers are full function DVRs and have a monthly service fee attached to them.

Reactions: Tvland1
Because the Wally and 211 technically are not DVRs that’s why you pay the fee to give it DVR functionality.

The fee associates with your first Hopper is a DVR Service Fee, not a fee for the Hopper itself, so that fee is not covered by the purchase clause because it is not a fee on the Hopper, it is a fee on the DVR Service.
This is what Dish tried (and failed, in my opinion) to explain when they finally modified the text on their 2021 price chart webpage. I still say that if Dish had specifically listed the DVR fee in the chart, right next to all of the other equipment fees, then there would have been a lot less confusion on this issue.

The Wally and 211 are not DVRs. When you add the EHD and pay your one time $40 fee to make them a DVR you get basic DVR functions. There are DVR service fees for all three kinds of Hoppers as well 622/722s. These receivers are full function DVRs and have a monthly service fee attached to them.
I'll just add that the Hopper 2000 and the Hopper w/Sling also pay the same $15 DVR fee as the Hopper 3 except for those of us that are grandfathered in at the previous $12 fee.
I'll just add that there are also DVR fees on the 922 and the Hopper Duo, although it is only $10 per month for each of those models. I guess they are not "full function" DVR's. For that matter, many 622/722 users are grandfathered at a $7 per month rate. I wonder exactly what functionality all of these grandfathered users are missing out on, since they are only paying such a low fee. ;)

I'll just add that there are also DVR fees on the 922 and the Hopper Duo, although it is only $10 per month for each of those models. I guess they are not "full function" DVR's. For that matter, many 622/722 users are grandfathered at a $7 per month rate. I wonder exactly what functionality all of these grandfathered users are missing out on, since they are only paying such a low fee. ;)
Since I had one H2 at the current $15 fee and the other is at the grandfathered $12 fee, I can tell you exactly what's missing at the lower fee. And that's now missing at the owned $5 fee. Absolutely nothing... :)

Made the call got whomever was next. I asked if I had Customer Loyalty or Retention and was told they're all of them now. Looks like a consolidation. No special help. Just "implied".

Here's what happened, not sure if I am happy with it.

Had:
AT250 102.99
Locals 12.00
H3 Chrg. 15.00
H3 Rec. 15.00
Protect Silv 9.99
Loyalty -40.00
Taxes/Stuff. 3.24
- - - - -
Total 113.22

Now Have:
AT200 77.99
Locals (Dropped)
H3 Leased 15.00
H3 Owned 10.00
H3 Rec. Not mentioned
55+ Protect 9.99
Loyalty 0.00
Taxes/Stuff. ?
- - - - -
Total 115.85

Their online owned H3 Calc says -$10 for owned H3s. The PDF with the pricing says -$5. So which is it? And the 55+ thing says one thing on the site, another from them.

Usually I walk away from these calls really happy. I'm feeling really screwed. Oh, 26 year customer and they made a big deal about it.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Made the call got whomever was next . . .

H3 Chrg. 15.00
H3 Rec. 15.00

Their online owned H3 Calc says -$10 for owned H3s. The PDF with the pricing says -$5. So which is it? And the 55+ thing says one thing on the site, another from them.

Usually I walk away from these calls really happy. I'm feeling really screwed. Oh, 26 year customer and they made a big deal about it.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

We all know how we can't let these things go. I was looking at stuff before calling back and all I can get to is my previous info. The new hasn't posted yet. But what I see in the old bill is as far as the "Equipment" is:

Hopper DVR Service $15.00
Hopper Receiver $15.00
Equipment $30.00

It looks like I was charged the Hopper DVR Fee @ $15 and ONE of my TWO Hopper 3s. Good Deal. Was it a deal or how they disguised how they billed both H3s? The new deal (Arg! Arg!) as far as I was told by three Agents (and no there are no Loyalty or Retention anymore. You get what you get and they will tell you that they are. I dialed all the numbers for all the upper level access I have and got call centers with all, including the new number I was given.) is basically the same except it's Fees for two H3s and no DVR Fee. OR is that the First DVR is Free thing?

Hopper 1 Leased $15.00 (I thought the first DVR was Free)
Hopper 2 Owned $10.00 (Although even their calculator below says $5)
No Service Fee

. . . and I just saw this on their "2021 Price Increase" page once you log in: "Due to these rising costs of programming, we will be increasing the cost of our package offerings beginning 1/14/21. We also will be "removing receiver fees" on equipment you've purchased and own, if any. If you own your equipment, you will see a new lower service fee for access on those TVs." But then their calculator "reduces" not "removes" the fee. But the reduction is more than I got.

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 10.50.26 PM.png

Since my bill is due tomorrow, I guess I'll have to pay, what I had to call back and ask about, the new amount and deal with it "later". Or do I have a deal and should just leave it alone?

AND there is the Senior Discount that got me the "Protect 'Plus' Plan" (which was said to be the same as the Gold? Then why not the Gold?) for $9.99 a month.

This use to be so easy and you felt like you've accomplished something after. I'd walk away feeling great and loving d¡sh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Latest posts